Singapore Expats Forum

Riot in Little India

Discuss about any latest news or current affairs in Singapore or globally. Please DO NOT copy and paste news articles from other sources without written permission.
User avatar
the lynx
Governor
Governor
Posts: 5239
Joined: Thu, 09 Dec 2010
Location: Midgar

Postby the lynx » Fri, 13 Dec 2013 8:41 am

firegold 99 wrote:I agree with the last phrase but however Sun Tv is like forums , as a moderator you should know , to cite one good example will be EA Playfish forum. They said the game will coming but actually it is plain rumour that why some forums have its rules .

I have disagree with you again , some do not drink alcohol unless the person is an alcoholic drinker therefore banning may help but company will complain they loose business but they can sell softdrink instead .

Our pioneers will be upset to see this happen as they struggled the early riots in the 60's . Lee Kuan Yew cried and separated Malaysia in 1964-1965 because of riots and fighting issues but there will still problems with law legislation after 60's .They have combat SARS in 2003, h1n1 and deadly virus , dengue , ministerial attitude , hawker not being clean , Bukit Panjang fire/Singtel service and anonymous hacking.


firegold 99 wrote:I disagree , then i ask you a question , all moderators should know this .
why does some forums block from posting religion topic ?

and you misunderstand the post and i ask you a few questions .

1. The above Qn, why does some forums block from posting religion topic ?

" 6. Threads or posts that are political or religious in nature are not allowed. Unfortunately, past experience has shown that such threads/discussions tend to get out of hand and require excessive maintenance and monitoring by the staff. Threads or posts that are political or religious in nature will be locked or removed without notice. We appreciate your understanding on this position " ( see below ref)


2. Public rumour : There is a lot public rumour , does your moderators here believe in rumours made by public ?


I will post some of the refs .

ref:

http://fans.oilers.nhl.com/com.....gulations/

http://answers.ea.com/t5/Answe.....-p/1679247

Chinese or Singaporeans do not drink alcohol unless they are stress

ref: http://library.thinkquest.org/.....ol/a2.html


firegold 99, please stop spewing immature bullshit without checking the validity, you're embarrassing yourself and whoever you claim to represent (that would include me)!

Sia sui!

1. I'm also of Chinese descent (probably like yourself) and I drink regularly because I like it and I socialise with other people over ice cold beer. So you're saying that I'm either alcoholic/stressed?

2. That Thinkquest library is a flop. That's a secondary educational website for homework! And it says nothing about Chinese/Singaporeans drinking when they are stressed or that only certain race/people with alcoholism drink alcohol regularly. Please check your references before putting it out like that.

3. Get your history right. Singapore is NOT the only country with BIG problems. Yes the great LKY and other pioneers did a great job during their time in modernising Singapore, but this is now and frankly, it is unfair to pin to them, like you did, that it is their emotional responsibility for every single thing that has happened since.

4. You wanna talk about racism? How naive and hypocritical of you when in three posts in this thread, you already condoned the very same thing you thought you're fighting against, by suggesting certain nationalities should drive slower and that only certain races have drinking problems.

4. Once again, please stop embarrassing yourself and others.

User avatar
x9200
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9164
Joined: Mon, 07 Sep 2009
Location: Singapore

Postby x9200 » Fri, 13 Dec 2013 9:04 am

I also though that women don't drink ("unless they are stress" of course).
In old good times when we lived in CCK and had some food in our favorite coffee shop there were plenty of distressed Chinese men around but no Chinese distressed women and everybody looked at my wife as soon as she had a tiger in front of her.

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Postby JR8 » Fri, 13 Dec 2013 9:22 am

I look from where I work, and have a view towards a 4-lane lorong (main suburban road) with pavements on either side. Sometimes as I pause from work, I glance out of the window. I'm routinely puzzled by what I see (and at times face at first hand).

Including:
- People cycling on the pavements ringing their bell to get pedestrians to move (despite the latter having right-of-way). Including 'karun-guni men' (recycling collectors) with wide loads on their bikes.
- People riding electric bicycle/scooters on the pavement.
- McDonalds delivery on regular motor-scooters riding down the pavement.

- Pedestrians walking against the traffic (on the double yellow lines on the roadway).
- Pedestrians walking against the traffic (on the inside of the fast lane of the roadway !?).

- People pushing wheelchairs along the road, along the yellow lines (saw this again just 10 minutes ago)
- Ditto shopping trollies.

The puzzling thing, is that the pavements are perfectly adequate, and uncrowded, and much of the above behaviour is inviting danger, and arguably reckless.

But my point is, whether as a driver, or pedestrian you have to be aware of and avoid potential hazards, and there seem to more than expected here in SG.

If you are driving in an area where people might spill onto the street, behave in unorthodox ways (as above), and/or have been socialising/drinking, you proceed with due caution.

You don't just (allegedly) physically throw a person off a bus after dark, and zoom off. You have a duty of care to ensure your way is clear.

AngMoG
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 609
Joined: Wed, 17 Apr 2013

Postby AngMoG » Fri, 13 Dec 2013 9:52 am

firegold 99 wrote:
I have disagree with you again , some do not drink alcohol unless the person is an alcoholic drinker therefore banning may help but company will complain they loose business but they can sell softdrink instead .


Thanks lynx for addressing the rest of the BS from this poor soul. Sounds to me like someone still in high school, or at least fresh out of it.

I just wanted to pick the above for the absolute ridiculousness of it. Some people are alcoholics, some just like to drink alcohol, some drink alcohol occasionally and/or socially, and some drink when they are stressed. Those categories overlap of course.

The soft drink claim makes me speechless... So this person is claiming that people will buy soft drink when they cannot get beer, instead? :roll:

Fact is, a lot of companies will lose a fair amount of business this weekend, and essentially for no reason other than to show that something is being done.

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Postby JR8 » Fri, 13 Dec 2013 10:08 am

^+1 to all of that, incl. yr comments re: Lynx's post.

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34262
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 13 Dec 2013 10:40 am

AngMoG wrote:The soft drink claim makes me speechless... So this person is claiming that people will buy soft drink when they cannot get beer, instead? :roll:


Frankly, I did JUST THAT for many, many years. In fact, until I came to Singapore (and I was already 36 then). I like good scotch. Preferably single malt scotch but no scotch less than 12 years old (with a single exception - Black & White). I was a teetotaler until I was 27 and I started with scotch. I liked it. I didn't drink any other type of alcohol at all back then and if I couldn't drink good or single malt scotch, I didn't drink any alcohol at all, but drank coke. Fair Dinkum.

So, while I think the guy is nuts with everything else he wrote, 'fraid I got to accept that it IS possible, although not very probable.

:-k

User avatar
Sergei82
Editor
Editor
Posts: 1455
Joined: Mon, 02 Nov 2009

Postby Sergei82 » Fri, 13 Dec 2013 10:50 am

So what's the problem for Bangladeshis to buy beer just round the corner next to Little India and bring it along to drink in Little India?

It is us who goes to restaurants ultimately lose (together with those restaurants). There will be not less drunk construction workers than before.

User avatar
nakatago
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8333
Joined: Tue, 01 Sep 2009
Location: Sister Margaret’s School for Wayward Children
Contact:

Postby nakatago » Fri, 13 Dec 2013 10:51 am

AngMoG wrote: Sounds to me like someone still in high school, or at least fresh out of it.


C'mon...we all know there are older adults with medically deemed fully mentally capable out there who are capable of thinking only up to that level.

User avatar
Sergei82
Editor
Editor
Posts: 1455
Joined: Mon, 02 Nov 2009

Postby Sergei82 » Fri, 13 Dec 2013 11:11 am

I'll put it this way: lets assume I'm a Bangladeshi/Indian construction worker who used to drink beer on Sunday in Little India, but I can't anymore. What do I do? Stop drinking? Really? I'll just buy some near my construction site and bring along with truck. Or to stay safe I'll just drink it before boarding the truck and arrive to LI even more drunk and pissed off on top of it.

(An old anecdote from USSR...
General Secretary of USSR Mikhail Gorbachev has implemented a "dry law" imposing a huge number of restrictions on selling and consuming alcohol and increased the price of alcohol to new heights (amidst raging alcoholism problem in USSR at that time).
A son is coming back home from school and talks to his alcoholic father.
Son: - Daddy, daddy! Vodka is now much more expensive. You will have to drin less!
Father: - Wrong, son! Now you will have to eat less!
)

User avatar
x9200
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9164
Joined: Mon, 07 Sep 2009
Location: Singapore

Postby x9200 » Fri, 13 Dec 2013 12:07 pm

The only way it might work is if the ban is not on the sale but "roaming LI under intoxication" and obviously would require a lot of resources to make it effective. Anything other than this is like what was mentioned in one of the quoted articles: pissing in a designated corner of the swimming pool.

User avatar
ScoobyDoes
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1650
Joined: Wed, 29 Nov 2006
Location: A More Lucky Spot

Postby ScoobyDoes » Fri, 13 Dec 2013 12:12 pm

You have to ask where all the hundreds of kids along the Singapore River from Zouk to Riverside Point are buying their bottles of Scotch, Bourbon, Jaeger, Vodka etc. etc. for their nightly 'meetings' and then ask why it's not possible for engineering Indians to work out the same thing?
'When Lewis Hamilton wins a race he has to thank Vodafone whereas in my day I used to chase the crumpet. I know which era I'd rather race in.'

SIR Stirling Moss OBE

User avatar
Sergei82
Editor
Editor
Posts: 1455
Joined: Mon, 02 Nov 2009

Postby Sergei82 » Fri, 13 Dec 2013 12:21 pm

When dry law hit USSR some people ended up drinking alcohol-based perfume and some other even less appetizing liquids (e. g., medical purified alcohol and something you can find in garage). Occasional poisoning didn't stop anybody.

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34262
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 13 Dec 2013 12:50 pm

Yeah, I understand filtering vehicle anti-freeze through a sock used to be a good stop-gap if it didn't kill you first.

User avatar
Barnsley
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2063
Joined: Tue, 10 Jun 2008
Location: Pasir Ris
Contact:

Postby Barnsley » Fri, 13 Dec 2013 12:51 pm

Sergei82 wrote:When dry law hit USSR some people ended up drinking alcohol-based perfume and some other even less appetizing liquids (e. g., medical purified alcohol and something you can find in garage). Occasional poisoning didn't stop anybody.


Russian Roullette but with alcohol instead of bullets. :shock:
Life is short, paddle harder!!

AngMoG
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 609
Joined: Wed, 17 Apr 2013

Postby AngMoG » Fri, 13 Dec 2013 1:15 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
AngMoG wrote:The soft drink claim makes me speechless... So this person is claiming that people will buy soft drink when they cannot get beer, instead? :roll:


Frankly, I did JUST THAT for many, many years. In fact, until I came to Singapore (and I was already 36 then). I like good scotch. Preferably single malt scotch but no scotch less than 12 years old (with a single exception - Black & White). I was a teetotaler until I was 27 and I started with scotch. I liked it. I didn't drink any other type of alcohol at all back then and if I couldn't drink good or single malt scotch, I didn't drink any alcohol at all, but drank coke. Fair Dinkum.

So, while I think the guy is nuts with everything else he wrote, 'fraid I got to accept that it IS possible, although not very probable.

:-k


Let me put it like this: it is quite possible for some individuals to behave that way. However, it is a big stretch to expect 1000s of people to do the same ;)


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Latest News & Current Affairs”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest