Singapore Expats Forum

Riot in Little India

Discuss about any latest news or current affairs in Singapore or globally. Please DO NOT copy and paste news articles from other sources without written permission.
User avatar
Wd40
Director
Director
Posts: 3788
Joined: Tue, 04 Dec 2012
Location: SIndiapore

Postby Wd40 » Thu, 12 Dec 2013 11:07 am

Is it fair to assume now that the PR approvals for Indian nationals be tightened even further? The authorities now may feel further vindicated about their decision to maintain the racial quotas and expedite the "correction" of imbalance that has been caused in the recent years :(

User avatar
zzm9980
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6837
Joined: Wed, 06 Jul 2011
Location: Once more unto the breach

Postby zzm9980 » Thu, 12 Dec 2013 11:40 am

Wd40 wrote:Is it fair to assume now that the PR approvals for Indian nationals be tightened even further? The authorities now may feel further vindicated about their decision to maintain the racial quotas and expedite the "correction" of imbalance that has been caused in the recent years :(


Even the thickest skulled local must realize it's not the same Indians applying for PR that are sitting on sidewalks in Little India getting drunk on Sundays.

Chantikki
Regular
Regular
Posts: 84
Joined: Sun, 16 Jun 2013

Postby Chantikki » Thu, 12 Dec 2013 11:45 am

All of my Singaporean friends think that the root cause of the riot is general mistreatment of workers. The idiots on internet forums don't represent every-one.

While the government is never going to admit their own laws regarding workers caused this riot, it's not because they don't believe it. I think they know it and will (fingers crossed) do something but without losing face. They did give maids a compulsory day off. So it's not unheard of for them to move (slooooowly) forward regarding human rights.

I live in an area where a lot of the workers live, the police visited them this week giving talks on safety (from scams) and the law. On the facebook page there were lots of nice photos of happy police joking around with smiling workers. I almost asked if the workers were advised on what they could do if their employers don't pay them... There are more police cars around and the MRT had a patrol and sniffer dogs. I think that the police are sending a very strong message that there will not be another riot this weekend.

User avatar
Sergei82
Editor
Editor
Posts: 1455
Joined: Mon, 02 Nov 2009

Postby Sergei82 » Thu, 12 Dec 2013 12:16 pm

Barnsley wrote:Saw you in Tampines MRT a while back ... you were heading out and I was heading in through the gates.

Are you living or working around there?

I live across the road from Tampines mall for more than 2 years already, and intend to stay there longer. :)

User avatar
Barnsley
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2067
Joined: Tue, 10 Jun 2008
Location: Pasir Ris
Contact:

Postby Barnsley » Thu, 12 Dec 2013 12:32 pm

Sergei82 wrote:
Barnsley wrote:Saw you in Tampines MRT a while back ... you were heading out and I was heading in through the gates.

Are you living or working around there?

I live across the road from Tampines mall for more than 2 years already, and intend to stay there longer. :)


Cool can organise a mini gathering east side then :D
Life is short, paddle harder!!

User avatar
Sergei82
Editor
Editor
Posts: 1455
Joined: Mon, 02 Nov 2009

Postby Sergei82 » Thu, 12 Dec 2013 12:38 pm

Barnsley wrote:
Sergei82 wrote:
Barnsley wrote:Saw you in Tampines MRT a while back ... you were heading out and I was heading in through the gates.

Are you living or working around there?

I live across the road from Tampines mall for more than 2 years already, and intend to stay there longer. :)


Cool can organise a mini gathering east side then :D

I've just joined True Fitness there (I hate California Fitness after 4 years of having its membership) - you can come, we workout. Don't bring the beer though (unless you intend to commit suicide). :)

Let's see how much you squat! :P

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34270
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 12 Dec 2013 2:25 pm

Sergei, that's not fair, you don't have nearly as far to go to squat! :lol:

User avatar
Barnsley
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2067
Joined: Tue, 10 Jun 2008
Location: Pasir Ris
Contact:

Postby Barnsley » Thu, 12 Dec 2013 3:53 pm

Sergei82 wrote:
Barnsley wrote:
Sergei82 wrote:
Barnsley wrote:Saw you in Tampines MRT a while back ... you were heading out and I was heading in through the gates.

Are you living or working around there?

I live across the road from Tampines mall for more than 2 years already, and intend to stay there longer. :)


Cool can organise a mini gathering east side then :D

I've just joined True Fitness there (I hate California Fitness after 4 years of having its membership) - you can come, we workout. Don't bring the beer though (unless you intend to commit suicide). :)

Let's see how much you squat! :P


I am using Fitness First , I coulda have gotten a free gift for introducing a friend

Squatting
:o :o :o
Life is short, paddle harder!!

User avatar
Saint
Director
Director
Posts: 3535
Joined: Thu, 16 Jun 2005
Location: The Juban Stand, Boat Quay
Contact:

Postby Saint » Thu, 12 Dec 2013 4:57 pm

firegold 99 wrote:In my view , i think the government should banned alcohol and limit
the number of alcohol around the area .

About the bus incident , in my view ,

I noticed many foreigner drivers especially from China , we should trained
them under WDA & Migrant Authority about crimes, riots and so on that
will abide the law .

Foreign drivers should drive slowly

As for Sun TV , they should not make remarks about chinese killing indians as that being religious and sensitive toward race and religion .


The driver of the bus was actually Singaporean :wink:

User avatar
Barnsley
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2067
Joined: Tue, 10 Jun 2008
Location: Pasir Ris
Contact:

Postby Barnsley » Thu, 12 Dec 2013 5:24 pm

Saint wrote:
firegold 99 wrote:In my view , i think the government should banned alcohol and limit
the number of alcohol around the area .

About the bus incident , in my view ,

I noticed many foreigner drivers especially from China , we should trained
them under WDA & Migrant Authority about crimes, riots and so on that
will abide the law .

Foreign drivers should drive slowly

As for Sun TV , they should not make remarks about chinese killing indians as that being religious and sensitive toward race and religion .


The driver of the bus was actually Singaporean :wink:


Much to the relief of the Chinese colleagues in my office ...
Life is short, paddle harder!!

firegold 99
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed, 11 Dec 2013

Postby firegold 99 » Thu, 12 Dec 2013 10:12 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Sun TV probably got it from the Xenophobia, rabid, idiot Singaporeans posting all over FB. Obviously a proper journalist wouldn't have given out that kind of info. They probably just copies sites like TRE, TOC and their followers.

If they ban alcohol for one ethnic group, then the charges of racism will become rampant world wide with regard to Singapore (only this time the charges will be openly visible and not swept under the carpets).

Oh, so it okay if local speed izzit? All drivers should drive slowly. Anyway, I don't think the driver was driving fast in the first place. You just want them to be. Believe me, Singapore drivers are just as bad if not worse.

Regarding banning of alcohol, you think it is good to racially pick a single group of people and ban them from drinking alcohol? You are a Racist, izzit? As a Singaporean Chinese how would you like it if they banned alcohol from all Chinese karaoke and kopitiams where locals like hang out and drink themselves silly? After all, drunken Chinese Singaporeans get into more mob/gangfights/riots and probably kill or injure more annually than the Migrant Workers in Little India have probably done in the past 30 years. In fact, they didn't kill anybody this time either. Only the bus driver did.

However, rioting is against the law and they should be brought to justice. That much I'll agree with.


I agree with the last phrase but however Sun Tv is like forums , as a moderator you should know , to cite one good example will be EA Playfish forum. They said the game will coming but actually it is plain rumour that why some forums have its rules .

I have disagree with you again , some do not drink alcohol unless the person is an alcoholic drinker therefore banning may help but company will complain they loose business but they can sell softdrink instead .

Our pioneers will be upset to see this happen as they struggled the early riots in the 60's . Lee Kuan Yew cried and separated Malaysia in 1964-1965 because of riots and fighting issues but there will still problems with law legislation after 60's .They have combat SARS in 2003, h1n1 and deadly virus , dengue , ministerial attitude , hawker not being clean , Bukit Panjang fire/Singtel service and anonymous hacking .

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34270
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 12 Dec 2013 11:04 pm

Poor feller, the whole world is picking on Singapore. Oh, So you are saying India broadcasting is a scam? Something like the government mouthpiece that is called MediaCorp? Only broadcast what the Gahmen want broadcast? Get a life. I've been here for all that you mentioned and a lot more. I've been an "adult" here for over 30 years. Are you even 30 years old yet? The large majority of Indians don't drink alcohol either. But the large majority of Chinese do, don't they? If you ban one group based on their race then you area racist. Regardless of the reason, the fact still remains. While intent may be good, it is still racist in nature. Just like the HDB housing policy. Government sanctioned racism. It's about time you learned something about the real world instead of only what is happening in your little cocoon on the little red dot.

Oh yeah, you just failed your own country's basic history lesson number one. LKY didn't separate from Malaysia, Malaysia threw Singapore out of the Federation. I would suggest you go back at study your own country's history again.

firegold 99
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed, 11 Dec 2013

Postby firegold 99 » Fri, 13 Dec 2013 6:21 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Poor feller, the whole world is picking on Singapore. Oh, So you are saying India broadcasting is a scam? Something like the government mouthpiece that is called MediaCorp? Only broadcast what the Gahmen want broadcast? Get a life. I've been here for all that you mentioned and a lot more. I've been an "adult" here for over 30 years. Are you even 30 years old yet? The large majority of Indians don't drink alcohol either. But the large majority of Chinese do, don't they? If you ban one group based on their race then you area racist. Regardless of the reason, the fact still remains. While intent may be good, it is still racist in nature. Just like the HDB housing policy. Government sanctioned racism. It's about time you learned something about the real world instead of only what is happening in your little cocoon on the little red dot.

Oh yeah, you just failed your own country's basic history lesson number one. LKY didn't separate from Malaysia, Malaysia threw Singapore out of the Federation. I would suggest you go back at study your own country's history again.


I disagree , then i ask you a question , all moderators should know this .
why does some forums block from posting religion topic ?

and you misunderstand the post and i ask you a few questions .

1. The above Qn, why does some forums block from posting religion topic ?

" 6. Threads or posts that are political or religious in nature are not allowed. Unfortunately, past experience has shown that such threads/discussions tend to get out of hand and require excessive maintenance and monitoring by the staff. Threads or posts that are political or religious in nature will be locked or removed without notice. We appreciate your understanding on this position " ( see below ref)


2. Public rumour : There is a lot public rumour , does your moderators here believe in rumours made by public ?


I will post some of the refs .

ref:

http://fans.oilers.nhl.com/community/fo ... gulations/

http://answers.ea.com/t5/Answer-HQ/Pet- ... -p/1679247

Chinese or Singaporeans do not drink alcohol unless they are stress

ref: http://library.thinkquest.org/12875/dat ... ol/a2.html

User avatar
nakatago
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8333
Joined: Tue, 01 Sep 2009
Location: Sister Margaret’s School for Wayward Children
Contact:

Postby nakatago » Fri, 13 Dec 2013 6:31 am

firegold 99 wrote:I disagree , then i ask you a question , all moderators should know this .
why does some forums block from posting religion topic ?


Why are you asking us? It's their forum.

Internet forum moderators all over the world don't regularly meet to discuss things.


And please learn to conjugate your verbs properly.

User avatar
x9200
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9166
Joined: Mon, 07 Sep 2009
Location: Singapore

Postby x9200 » Fri, 13 Dec 2013 8:08 am

Agree, it's very tempting, but you perfectly know you can not win. It's the pure true-blue thing.


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Latest News & Current Affairs”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests