Singapore Expats

Millenial Generation Problems

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Millenial Generation Problems

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 07 Dec 2013 11:46 am

millennial_narcissism_helicopter_parents_are_college_students_bigger_problem

How many here tend to micromanage their kids lives in order to smooth out all the bumps of their adolescence? This was a constant bone of contention between my wife and I. I tend to use the "you make your bed and you sleep in it" while my wife is a virtual slave to them. My daughter is self sufficient and a go getter, my son is the 'wait and mom will do it' type.
Last edited by sundaymorningstaple on Sat, 07 Dec 2013 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

x9200

Post by x9200 » Sat, 07 Dec 2013 12:05 pm

I think there are hardly any parents that want to micromanage their children but there are a lot who do it and are not aware of it self denial included.

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Sat, 07 Dec 2013 12:20 pm

Its a cultural thing, SMS. You know it :)
Its part of the Indian culture, to make sure that children tread the right path, study well, get a good job, marry to right person(right in this case, often means the right caste) and finally take care of the parents in their old age.

When we went to Bali for vacation, we interacted with our driver and we were shocked, to see that they too follow the same Indian values, because of the Hindu link. They have the caste system there too and each caste have their own places of worship and intercaste marriage is a taboo. Females are "arrange marriaged" by the parents and the eldest son, takes care of the parents and is the heir to their family trade. Very much Indian. In fact I would say that Balinese are even more traditional than Indians and they have done a much better job of preserving the tradition.

Hannieroo
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Hannieroo » Sat, 07 Dec 2013 5:22 pm

I'm building men not mummy's boys. Feel the fear and do it anyway or feel the toe of my boot. On you go.

Works for me.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 07 Dec 2013 6:19 pm

^^This. Shame I had to work for a living. That's what I needed at home when I was on the rigs!
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

aster
Manager
Manager

Re: Millenial Generation Problems

Post by aster » Sat, 07 Dec 2013 9:55 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:millennial_narcissism_helicopter_parents_are_college_students_bigger_problem

How many here tend to micromanage their kids lives in order to smooth out all the bumps of their adolescence? This was a constant bone of contention between my wife and I. I tend to use the "you make your bed and you sleep in it" while my wife is a virtual slave to them. My daughter is self sufficient and a go getter, my son is the 'wait and mom will do it' type.
Good thoughts. :) Personally I think that times have changed and we live in a different era so to speak. Back when I was young things seemed so carefree, my parents didn't need to know where I was at every minute of the day, nor did they call me up on my cell (well, they didn't have them then...) if I didn't show up at home precisely on time.

Nowadays it seems like parent's need complete oversight of their kids at all times. God forbid if they go outside to play with other kids in 'da hood' unsupervised. Or go for a hike in the woods. Or do anything without adult eyes watching them at all times.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 07 Dec 2013 10:11 pm

^^Perxactly!

earthfriendly
Manager
Manager

Post by earthfriendly » Mon, 09 Dec 2013 4:57 pm

I like to offer my girls plenty of room......................... to roam, to exercise their own judgment, to make mistakes, to feel bored (one of them like to come to me "I am bored"), to experience life. Free range mom = free range kids :wink: .

http://www.freerangekids.com/

Steve1960
Editor
Editor

Post by Steve1960 » Mon, 09 Dec 2013 5:27 pm

I think this is two fold.

My eldest in the UK had independence and the ability to make her own mistakes and find her own way because my ex wife didn't have a clue how to approach raising a teenager and I wasn't around every day. Although not by design this made her more independent and confident and she would come to me for advice when she needed it. There were bumps along the way but things have turned out pretty good. University degree and working as a qualified Physiotherapist.

Then there is the darker side! Money. I have been, and still am, the banker. I bailed her out of any and all financial difficulties from the teenage years through to now. This includes recovery from bad decision making amongst other things. She was thoroughly spoiled and still is and that is probably a mistake.