Singapore Expats

Information about web designers and English teachers in SG

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
Brady

Information about web designers and English teachers in SG

Post by Brady » Tue, 03 Dec 2013 7:08 pm

Hello, i currently live in Indonesia with my wife who is Indonesian, i am from UK England and would like information on how i can get a job teaching English or working for a web design or computer company in Singapore.
I would like to live in Singapore as the internet is much faster there and its not to far from Indonesia, & will be less hassle for my wife to live with me there if i can get work there.

Please let me know any information at all would be very much appreciated.

{edited by moderator ;-) }

Thank you :wink: :)

AngMoG
Reporter
Reporter

Post by AngMoG » Tue, 03 Dec 2013 8:19 pm

Without you telling us your education, experience, race, it will be very difficult to answer. However, if your main reason is that the internet is faster here (sic), then don't come. There are many other things to consider, among them the fact that life is a lot more expensive in SG, and that there is no guarantee to get or even keep a work visa.

Teaching does not pay too well, and ESL teachers I would think are a dime a dozen, this being a country with English as one of the official languages. Do you even have TEFL or similar qualifications?

My gut feeling is that you're better off in Indonesia, if you have a decent job there.

Brady

Post by Brady » Tue, 03 Dec 2013 8:26 pm

Hey, thanks for the reply ;) oh yes i should of mentioned that but just want information :) i am a British English man native speaker and my qualifications are mainly Advanced ITC & English and Business, i do not have esl or tefl my main job is web design and development i own a hosting company too, just wondering if there is any jobs for IT people too as well as English as IT is my main thing and job and hobby i work for different companies around the world, Singapore would be nice i could make a new hosting company there!
I see what you mean yes expensive, i work for some Singapore people now on 1 of my projects so maybe there are more projects i could do that let me go Singapore, i think having a British passport and a born citizen of England will make my visa issues quite easy?

Max Headroom
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 1

Post by Max Headroom » Tue, 03 Dec 2013 8:44 pm

:shock:

Brady

Post by Brady » Tue, 03 Dec 2013 8:53 pm

lol why :shock: :???:

Brady

Post by Brady » Tue, 03 Dec 2013 8:56 pm

i will go to Singapore on holiday soon so will ask in person as well lol :D

x9200

Post by x9200 » Tue, 03 Dec 2013 9:16 pm

Brady, I removed from your profile all the information related to your web sites. Please keep it this way. Other than this feel free to elaborate even more about your native English and IT related skills.

Brady

Post by Brady » Tue, 03 Dec 2013 9:20 pm

oh ok sorry about that, i wont change anything :)

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 03 Dec 2013 10:38 pm

I've also removed the link to his website in his opening gambit as well......

SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Post by Barnsley » Wed, 04 Dec 2013 9:57 am

Brady wrote: i am a British English man native speaker

i think having a British passport and a born citizen of England will make my visa issues quite easy?
Mate, you must have been away from the homeland for a good while as you sure don't sound like you are from the UK typing the things I have quoted.

:D
Life is short, paddle harder!!

AngMoG
Reporter
Reporter

Post by AngMoG » Wed, 04 Dec 2013 10:00 am

Brady wrote:Hey, thanks for the reply ;) oh yes i should of mentioned that but just want information :) i am a British English man native speaker and my qualifications are mainly Advanced ITC & English and Business, i do not have esl or tefl my main job is web design and development i own a hosting company too, just wondering if there is any jobs for IT people too as well as English as IT is my main thing and job and hobby i work for different companies around the world, Singapore would be nice i could make a new hosting company there!
I see what you mean yes expensive, i work for some Singapore people now on 1 of my projects so maybe there are more projects i could do that let me go Singapore, i think having a British passport and a born citizen of England will make my visa issues quite easy?
Based on this post I am inclined to say "forget about teaching English", at least in SG :wink:

Your British passport is of some help in getting an employment visa, but if you do not have the salary to match, it won't do you any good. Your options are the same as anyone else's:
- find a company to employ you on a good salary (I'd say, at least $8K/month, so you get P1 EP). That kind of salary rules out most smaller companies, who would probably not even pay you $5K. (Their main focus being cost, not quality.) In that case you can also sponsor your wife on a DP.
- you seem to be more the entrepreneurial type, but I am not sure you would want to come under the EntrePass scheme, which has its caveats (such as, you have to grow your company annually and employ more Singaporeans every year of renewal, and have to have a good business plan)
- the only other option is to open a Pte Ltd company, and essentially employ yourself on an EP as director (subject to approval by MoM as well). Search the forum for the relevant posts.

Your posts seems somewhat naïve, so I strongly suggest you read up more on Singapore first, including the recently tightened labor market restrictions, and the cost of living to get a better idea. Even if you earn S$8000 here, and your wife is not working, will you have as good a life as in Indonesia? Would she even want to make the move (many people from surrounding "third world" countries are going back after a couple of years here, some involuntarily)?

Here, on that salary, you'd be able to afford a decent 2-BR condo paying about 40% of that salary, and would not be likely to be able to afford a car. In Indonesia, if you earn even half that, you'd probably be able to afford a car, a house with a garden, and a generally more luxurious life.