Singapore Expats Forum

Expat forum

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

Thats all ur worth 2cents

Re: Expats-only forum

Postby Thats all ur worth 2cents » Mon, 14 Feb 2005 11:48 am

2 cents wrote:From your last sentence I can see why singaporeans are considered rude, curt or even pathetic. But let me add a few words here.

Although you claim to have provided a definition of "DISCUSSION" it hardly appears to be one but that may be a highly subjective matter, so I am disinclined to pass a judgment on that one.

But here's an interesting point though. The name of this site, as far as I can discern, is singaporeexpats. I would take "Singapore expats" to mean expatriates in Singapore and definitely not singaporeans themselves. I don't know what others think. Also "Singapore Expats Forum Index" contains "Relocating, Moving to Singapore", for example. How can they be relevant to anybody other than expats? This clearly tells locals that it's not their prerogative to meddle in our affairs.

It's quite strange that you tell expats what to do in an expats forum. Rest assured that your sorry asses won't even have a chance to rue if all expats were to leave this shit hole of a country. Have you ever wondered why almost no expat considers taking up sg citizenship? Sure as hell sg cant survive without foreigners but foreigners, even for those who dont have much economic opportunity back home, have ample options to choose from in this world. That isn't quite the case for sg, so I dont think you can expect foreigners to disappear anytime in the near future. Once they disappear, so will singapore.

And even as I am writing this reply I can see a blaring "Singapore Expats Forum - Post a reply" on the title bar in my browser. Excuse my ignorance but can anybody explain what that might imply?

Listen I am not asking you (the local guy) for an explanation as I dont quite consider this forum your domain. I'll seek your advice/opinions when it matters but unless any of us does so you do not have the prerogative to abruptly interefere the smooth operation of this forum, especially in the manner that you have done in the past.

way more than 2 cents

LookBeforeUC wrote:Let's have a look at the definition of "DISCUSSION" here shall we. On your way into this thread (not that you bothered), you would find the definition was put up by the owners of the site here:

"Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with LOCALS & expatriates in Singapore."

say no more.
End of debate/argument/discussion. Period.

Looks like uve got a serious problem with singapore, having to endure so much suffering on account of coming here, why do u bother at all I wonder

agi

Postby agi » Sun, 27 Feb 2005 1:53 pm

I'm an "expat" but not in the sense that I am a foreigner living in Singapore..... I was born in Singapore and my family migrated to Australia when I was 2, where I've lived for the past 30 years.

I visit Singapore every couple of years and love going back to see relatives, sight-see, shop, eat, etc.

I joined another Singapore discussion forum to keep abreast of all the goings on in Singapore, but admit that the Singlish and some of the terms/abbreviations were confusing me, so when I found this forum I decided to join.

Although I'm not an expat in Singapore, my first and only language is English so I prefer a western angle on things (I know the expats on this forum are not all from English speaking countries, but I'm guessing a lot would be).

After reading this thread, I'm a bit worried about being here. I don't really "belong" in either of the categories i.e. not a local, nor am I an expat in Singapore.

Agreed, some of the topics won't apply to me (e.g. relocating, moving to Singapore, etc) but hopefully I'll be able to talk to some interesting people, from all around the world... some will have been born in Singapore and some will be from overseas, but they'll all have something in common - Singapore!

:D
------------------------
DC 4 2006 F1 WDC
------------------------

cherri3blue

Postby cherri3blue » Wed, 02 Mar 2005 3:57 pm

agi wrote:I'm an "expat" but not in the sense that I am a foreigner living in Singapore..... I was born in Singapore and my family migrated to Australia when I was 2, where I've lived for the past 30 years.

I visit Singapore every couple of years and love going back to see relatives, sight-see, shop, eat, etc.

I joined another Singapore discussion forum to keep abreast of all the goings on in Singapore, but admit that the Singlish and some of the terms/abbreviations were confusing me, so when I found this forum I decided to join.

Although I'm not an expat in Singapore, my first and only language is English so I prefer a western angle on things (I know the expats on this forum are not all from English speaking countries, but I'm guessing a lot would be).

After reading this thread, I'm a bit worried about being here. I don't really "belong" in either of the categories i.e. not a local, nor am I an expat in Singapore.

Agreed, some of the topics won't apply to me (e.g. relocating, moving to Singapore, etc) but hopefully I'll be able to talk to some interesting people, from all around the world... some will have been born in Singapore and some will be from overseas, but they'll all have something in common - Singapore!

hi agi..
pls dun be disheartened with some of the nasty posting....
there are many nice ppl here in this forum...both expats n locals...ang moh or asians...
u'll sure meet them :)

cheers,
cherry..^^

Postby Guest » Wed, 02 Mar 2005 10:32 pm

cherri3blue wrote:
agi wrote:I'm an "expat" but not in the sense that I am a foreigner living in Singapore..... I was born in Singapore and my family migrated to Australia when I was 2, where I've lived for the past 30 years.

hi agi..
pls dun be disheartened with some of the nasty posting....
there are many nice ppl here in this forum...both expats n locals...ang moh or asians...
u'll sure meet them :)

cheers,We must first of all know that the entire Bible is corrupted and unreliable and is mostly filled with man-made laws and corruption! "`How can you say, "We [the Jews] are wise, for we have the law of the LORD," when actually the lying pen of the scribes has handled it falsely?' (From the NIV Bible, Jeremiah 8:8)"

(* in the verse above the Bible actually explains why it is corrupt, I find this truly mind boggling, how can anyone actually justify this verse? The invitation to refute this argument is open for good clean discussion.

cherry..^^

We must first of all know that the entire Bible is corrupted and unreliable and is mostly filled with man-made laws and corruption! "`How can you say, "We [the Jews] are wise, for we have the law of the LORD," when actually the lying pen of the scribes has handled it falsely?' (From the NIV Bible, Jeremiah 8:8)"

(* in the verse above the Bible actually explains why it is corrupt, I find this truly mind boggling, how can anyone actually justify this verse? The invitation to refute this argument is open for good clean discussion.

surprised

Postby surprised » Wed, 16 Mar 2005 11:08 pm

I'm always surprised how aggressively people respond when there is any hint that Singaporeans should not be on ExPat forums.

I have to agree with the OP in that a lot of SG people, esp ladies, post on them.

After all, if there were forums for specific topics etc, then you would expect it to be for those people yes?

eg a forum for Computer Programmers in Singapore...

You wouldnt expect a whole lot of scuba diving instructors would you?

happygrape

Postby happygrape » Fri, 18 Mar 2005 6:20 pm

By Golly! I wholeheartedly agree with you! I discovered this forum by mistake and stuck around and though Sinagpore born, I have lived in the US for more than 10 years. Visit Sinagpore twice a year for food :P And quite honestly, I do miss Singapore in some weird sense, even though I practically grew up in England.
This particular forum is indeed "ferocious" - a tad aggressive :(. Even though I'm technically not an expat expat, I really would like to yak with people I have a common "lineage " to and that's good old Singapore :)

Popeye

SPG???

Postby Popeye » Sun, 03 Apr 2005 8:53 pm

Hi everybody!

I'm on the edge to go to Singapore next month.
What is exactly "SPG" you're talking about?
Is it a person?

Olive Oyle

Postby Olive Oyle » Mon, 04 Apr 2005 10:13 am

Popeye

Do you REALLY want to know what's an SPG ? ? ! ! !