Singapore Expats Forum

Expat forum

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

landbased

Postby landbased » Thu, 06 Jan 2005 6:10 pm

seasider wrote::lol: :lol: :lol: And the cheek of you to presume you know my personal circumstances. :lol: You are very wrong. Do you actually understand that I am agreeing, this board should be for all?

Some of your words are in very bad taste.


You have got a strange sense of agreeing with others
Please read what you write
You dont seem to give any impression of that at all
All I am saying is that there is no place of discrimination of any kind
ie no sense of exclusivity
Those who do so do it at their own peril
So if you share the same sentiments do take pains to communicate likewise
Taking the best possible construction of what you have written,you seem to take a rather ambivalent attitude on this matter which seems to lead one to infer that you rather dislike locals on this forum. An expat forum does deal with expat concerns but with the the expectation that local input is given to deal with alot of those concerns as expats live in a foreign land where the locals would and should help in dealing with those concerns. Its not as if they ie the expats are transplanted locally with their own homeland environments in toto here. If that was the case they might as well not come at all.They are better off staying put

seasider
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 403
Joined: Mon, 25 Oct 2004
Location: No longer in Geylang
Contact:

Postby seasider » Thu, 06 Jan 2005 6:21 pm

I was trying to be objective, landbased. I also agree with your last couple of sentences. Fun chatting, I have to go now. :)

AS YOU can see

Postby AS YOU can see » Mon, 10 Jan 2005 10:32 am

This site (expat forum) is not really an EXPAT Forum but merely a meeting grounds for SPG's who can't decide if he'll leave his wife and the matey who got angry at your legitimate question is one of the mates seeking special massagie from SPG...

And it's quite obvious from the poorly written sling statements that this bloody site is nothing more than Singaporeans are us!

If I wanted that I'd just go stand around the wet market and get bumped into 30 times in 30 minutes and assualted by ghastly fumes.

Let the trolling begin, lah.

Guest

Postby Guest » Mon, 10 Jan 2005 10:50 am

AS YOU can see wrote:This site (expat forum) is not really an EXPAT Forum but merely a meeting grounds for SPG's who can't decide if he'll leave his wife and the matey who got angry at your legitimate question is one of the mates seeking special massagie from SPG...

And it's quite obvious from the poorly written sling statements that this bloody site is nothing more than Singaporeans are us!

If I wanted that I'd just go stand around the wet market and get bumped into 30 times in 30 minutes and assualted by ghastly fumes.

Let the trolling begin, lah.

Well what can we do with so called expats who cant make a decent argument without attempting to flame
And talking about poorly written pieces you don'e seem to be able to get your act together at all. mixing your gender and grammar and commiting all the so called Singaporean sins.

And by the way, if you are so put off by the likes of us why then are you in this forum..or are the wet markets closed today? :lol:

Rolling Ball
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 8
Joined: Sat, 11 Dec 2004

Postby Rolling Ball » Mon, 10 Jan 2005 3:24 pm

I'm just curious on how people can tell that one is a local just by looking at his/her posting. It can also be an expat that learned singlish.

Expat Womble

Postby Expat Womble » Tue, 11 Jan 2005 12:02 pm

well the first poster has a point - there are alot of local people who use this site I reckon. Not that I'm saying there is anything wrong with that at all - but that was what he was asking wasn't it - how come there are alot of local people who post here when it is an expat site. I don't think he was saying you shouldn't post here unless you are an expat, but just wondering why.

I sometimes wonder why too, because you don't seem to get that anywhere else (or not that I've ever come across) - I think it must just be because singapore is such a small country and because it is in Asia, alot of expats stand out (especially if they are not Asian) - so Singaporeans have alot more contact with expats than they do in other places.

That is my theory.

Great Isn't It?

Postby Great Isn't It? » Tue, 11 Jan 2005 4:32 pm

Expat Womble wrote:well the first poster has a point - there are alot of local people who use this site I reckon. Not that I'm saying there is anything wrong with that at all - but that was what he was asking wasn't it - how come there are alot of local people who post here when it is an expat site. I don't think he was saying you shouldn't post here unless you are an expat, but just wondering why.

I sometimes wonder why too, because you don't seem to get that anywhere else (or not that I've ever come across) - I think it must just be because singapore is such a small country and because it is in Asia, alot of expats stand out (especially if they are not Asian) - so Singaporeans have alot more contact with expats than they do in other places.

That is my theory.


Isn't a great thing that locals are involved in an expat forum?
Although they shouldn't hog it ( ie the locals), the expats would do well to participate as well. Singapore is one of the few Asian countries where the locals do have run of the place and where English is spoken as well...hence a sense of confidence amongst them in engaging with expats.
Expats would do well to not play shrinking violets, which incidentally locals used to do when they believed the "white" superiority thing. Whilst some locals still unconsciously still believe in it or practice it, an increasingly larger number of them are expressing their new found confidence which even to the expat community should be a good thing.And to the credit of an increasing number of expats, they are now engaging with the locals and treating them as equals. Locals may not say it like the expats but their opinions do count as well especially if they run the country.

2 cents

Postby 2 cents » Sat, 05 Feb 2005 11:51 am

Isn't a great thing that locals are involved in an expat forum?
Not at all becoz no one asked them to get their asses in here.

while there's no surefire way of restricting access only to expats, this forum should be an expats-only forum, at least if you read the name that's what you'd believe.

Definitely there's no antipathy towards locals, just that expats (by definition) are foreigners, so would find it relaxing to share their concerns and gripes amongst their own mates with similar backgrounds. If local opinions are considered necessary, they can be obtained from local friends and neighbors. In that way, there's no room for any ill-feeling towards locals.

2 cents

LookBeforeUC

Postby LookBeforeUC » Sat, 05 Feb 2005 12:34 pm

2 cents wrote:
Isn't a great thing that locals are involved in an expat forum?
Not at all becoz no one asked them to get their asses in here.

while there's no surefire way of restricting access only to expats, this forum should be an expats-only forum, at least if you read the name that's what you'd believe.

Definitely there's no antipathy towards locals, just that expats (by definition) are foreigners, so would find it relaxing to share their concerns and gripes amongst their own mates with similar backgrounds. If local opinions are considered necessary, they can be obtained from local friends and neighbors. In that way, there's no room for any ill-feeling towards locals.

2 cents


Let's have a look at the definition of "DISCUSSION" here shall we.
On your way into this thread (not that you bothered), you would find the definition was put up by the owners of the site here:

"Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with LOCALS & expatriates in Singapore."

say no more.
End of debate/argument/discussion. Period.

Guest

Postby Guest » Mon, 07 Feb 2005 8:39 pm

Aiyah you changed your ID again too confusing for old person like me leh :)

Luckily you signed off as Brandee or else I don't know how to address you..Phoenix? Annie or ?

Haven't see any of your posting lately, presume you are busy preparing for the visit of your friends from overseas to Singapore during CNY.

Gong Xi Fa Cai to you and your family.
May the year of Rooster bring you luck and good health.

Wishing all STC members and friends:

2 cents

Expats-only forum

Postby 2 cents » Thu, 10 Feb 2005 7:51 pm

From your last sentence I can see why singaporeans are considered rude, curt or even pathetic. But let me add a few words here.

Although you claim to have provided a definition of "DISCUSSION" it hardly appears to be one but that may be a highly subjective matter, so I am disinclined to pass a judgment on that one.

But here's an interesting point though. The name of this site, as far as I can discern, is singaporeexpats. I would take "Singapore expats" to mean expatriates in Singapore and definitely not singaporeans themselves. I don't know what others think. Also "Singapore Expats Forum Index" contains "Relocating, Moving to Singapore", for example. How can they be relevant to anybody other than expats? This clearly tells locals that it's not their prerogative to meddle in our affairs.

It's quite strange that you tell expats what to do in an expats forum. Rest assured that your sorry asses won't even have a chance to rue if all expats were to leave this shit hole of a country. Have you ever wondered why almost no expat considers taking up sg citizenship? Sure as hell sg cant survive without foreigners but foreigners, even for those who dont have much economic opportunity back home, have ample options to choose from in this world. That isn't quite the case for sg, so I dont think you can expect foreigners to disappear anytime in the near future. Once they disappear, so will singapore.

And even as I am writing this reply I can see a blaring "Singapore Expats Forum - Post a reply" on the title bar in my browser. Excuse my ignorance but can anybody explain what that might imply?

Listen I am not asking you (the local guy) for an explanation as I dont quite consider this forum your domain. I'll seek your advice/opinions when it matters but unless any of us does so you do not have the prerogative to abruptly interefere the smooth operation of this forum, especially in the manner that you have done in the past.

way more than 2 cents



LookBeforeUC wrote:Let's have a look at the definition of "DISCUSSION" here shall we. On your way into this thread (not that you bothered), you would find the definition was put up by the owners of the site here:

"Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with LOCALS & expatriates in Singapore."

say no more.
End of debate/argument/discussion. Period.

User avatar
Splatted
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 892
Joined: Sun, 11 Jul 2004

Re: Expats-only forum

Postby Splatted » Thu, 10 Feb 2005 8:54 pm

hjkjhkhj
Last edited by Splatted on Sat, 15 Apr 2006 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Guest

Re: Expats-only forum

Postby Guest » Fri, 11 Feb 2005 2:21 am

Splatted wrote:
2 cents wrote:It's quite strange that you tell expats what to do in an expats forum. Rest assured that your sorry asses won't even have a chance to rue if all expats were to leave this shit hole of a country. Have you ever wondered why almost no expat considers taking up sg citizenship?


Utter rubbish. Only reason for not taking up Singapore citizenship is that Singapore simply doesn't allow duel citizenship - in which case most expats who wish to stay here are happy with their PR's.


not you again :evil:

LookBeforeUC

Re: Expats-only forum

Postby LookBeforeUC » Fri, 11 Feb 2005 4:07 pm

LookBeforeUC wrote:Let's have a look at the definition of "DISCUSSION" here shall we. On your way into this thread (not that you bothered), you would find the definition was put up by the owners of the site here:

"Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with LOCALS & expatriates in Singapore."

say no more.
End of debate/argument/discussion. Period.

2 cents wrote:Listen I am not asking you (the local guy) for an explanation as I dont quite consider this forum your domain. I'll seek your advice/opinions when it matters but unless any of us does so you do not have the prerogative to abruptly interefere the smooth operation of this forum, especially in the manner that you have done in the past.

way more than 2 cents


U really have NO IDEA where the Definition is located, do u? lol I am not going to waste my time here. FYI..I am NOT a local, I am an Expat who sees sense (not yur 2 cents though) & richness in everyone's contribution. Looks like I AM really wasting my time here.
Goodbye and Good ridden!

Guest

Re: Expats-only forum

Postby Guest » Mon, 14 Feb 2005 5:25 am

Anonymous wrote:
Splatted wrote:
2 cents wrote:It's quite strange that you tell expats what to do in an expats forum. Rest assured that your sorry asses won't even have a chance to rue if all expats were to leave this shit hole of a country. Have you ever wondered why almost no expat considers taking up sg citizenship?


Utter rubbish. Only reason for not taking up Singapore citizenship is that Singapore simply doesn't allow duel citizenship - in which case most expats who wish to stay here are happy with their PR's.


not you again :evil:


i can see where all Gutter idiots have landed :lol:


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “General Discussions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests