Singapore Expats Forum

Expat forum

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

Expat person

Expat forum

Postby Expat person » Wed, 05 Jan 2005 2:30 pm

Is this really a forum for expats or locals? i am puzzled as most posts seem to be from Singaporean women who's expat lover is having doubts about leaving his wife and kids. Alot of the other posts seem to be from Singaporeans (typical Singlish is used) either ah Bengs or Ah Lians. How the hell do they come across an expat forum????
Is this really an expat forum or a free for all forum?

Deliberate

Free for all forum

Postby Deliberate » Wed, 05 Jan 2005 3:05 pm

This forum is free for all, there's no way or reason why Singaporeans should not be here.

forcez5

Re: Expat forum

Postby forcez5 » Wed, 05 Jan 2005 3:08 pm

Expat person wrote:Is this really a forum for expats or locals? i am puzzled as most posts seem to be from Singaporean women who's expat lover is having doubts about leaving his wife and kids. Alot of the other posts seem to be from Singaporeans (typical Singlish is used) either ah Bengs or Ah Lians. How the hell do they come across an expat forum????

so what is the problem with you?? you mean expat forum are ONLY for expat? Go for a brain operation will you....... :shock:

Anti Colonial

Re: Expat forum

Postby Anti Colonial » Wed, 05 Jan 2005 3:19 pm

Expat person wrote:Is this really a forum for expats or locals? i am puzzled as most posts seem to be from Singaporean women who's expat lover is having doubts about leaving his wife and kids. Alot of the other posts seem to be from Singaporeans (typical Singlish is used) either ah Bengs or Ah Lians. How the hell do they come across an expat forum????

Look here matey
This is the 21st Century and the ghetto like mentality of the early 20th century has no place here. There are no foreigners only or expats only anything except in the most servile of colonies. So please when you come to a place like Singapore get rid of this mentality and start mixing with the locals. Singapore is a melting pot. Even Honkers has changed and the old colonial joints with the royal this and the royal that are populated more by mainland chinese than expats. Otherwise you might as well go to the museum and exhibit yourself there as a relic of the past. The last point was made in jest to more or less emphasise the point. :!:

Postby Guest » Wed, 05 Jan 2005 3:52 pm

From the message you have posted, you are such a selfish person and you are the kind of person who will cause division and disunity among people.

Please add it to your New Year Resolution list that you will be a changed person in 2005 as Great Tribulation (earthquakes & island will be wiped out) will come and may not easy to live in this world anymore hope you know what I mean.

I thought I can learn from another expatriates in Singapore hmmm...just so sad. You mean you wanna have a free and closed door discussion to vent your whatever problems, frustrations, bad-mouth about the locals, just to protect your interest????

My God forgives you and bless your souls.

Postby Guest » Wed, 05 Jan 2005 5:22 pm

Ha ha to the guest above, it is timely to receive the following after reading your post.

Quote of day from M1

Everyday, God gives us the sun - and also one moment in whih we have the ability to change everything...
By Paulo Coelho

passing by

Postby passing by » Wed, 05 Jan 2005 6:42 pm

In an expat forum without contribution from some local views or information, how far can an expat forum go??? Thing you do not know...you will continue not to know unless you get some ideas from the locals. So in my opinion...this is an exchange centre where you need both groups of people in order to make it a success....

LiveAndLetLive

Postby LiveAndLetLive » Wed, 05 Jan 2005 7:36 pm

To Expat Person,

Gollygosh.. just told my Russian expat neighbour about this forum who can only write in RRRunglish, Finnish expat friend upstairs who writes in FFFinlish, and downstairs Japanese expat pal only writes in JJaplish... and shock horror, my UK inlaw can only write broken-English.
What do I tell them now??

PS: Allow me to correct your sentence Quote 'Singaporean women who's expat lover' Unquote, should read: 'Singaporean women WHOSE expat lover'

AMEN.

Tulip

Postby Tulip » Thu, 06 Jan 2005 9:30 am

Think that scared him off? 8)

seasider
Chatter
Chatter

Postby seasider » Thu, 06 Jan 2005 10:01 am

Let's stop name calling and be realistic - the owners of this board called it Singapore Expats and run a real estate business. Most of the ads relate to expats. It's fair to assume the intention was that it was a forum mainly for expats, in the hope that they would use the services advertised (and provided by the owners) and thus perpetuate the revenue earned by the board.

It just hasn't turned out like that. For one thing you cannot stipulate the type of member you get, and for another there are far too many such boards already - I find it hard to believe any of them are making much money.

please help

Postby please help » Thu, 06 Jan 2005 10:08 am

If I may butt in this discussion. If you were in any way referring to me. Yes I am chinese but I am not Singaporean.If the author of the thread is not happy I would suggest that he start another forum which requires photo ID.

Postby Guest » Thu, 06 Jan 2005 5:03 pm

The way he expressed himself with that kind of "tone" has already shown his character. No wonder we have been mistaken that we are arrogant, shob, etc.

kayhec

Postby kayhec » Thu, 06 Jan 2005 5:50 pm

Just a thought!

Expat comes from the word expatriate, meaning who left his/her home country, so obviously we should forget the idea that expat are ang mohs! There are more and more Chinese, Indian and other races expatriates!

The other thing is that even as a caucasian expat, you end speaking singlish too. I have been here 4 years and when I talk to locals on the phone they think I am local too, however I assure you I am ang moh!

So although I agree with everybody and think the forum should be open to all, I thought most responses were a bit rude and harsh. Let's just all be nice!

Landbased

Postby Landbased » Thu, 06 Jan 2005 5:51 pm

seasider wrote:Let's stop name calling and be realistic - the owners of this board called it Singapore Expats and run a real estate business. Most of the ads relate to expats. It's fair to assume the intention was that it was a forum mainly for expats, in the hope that they would use the services advertised (and provided by the owners) and thus perpetuate the revenue earned by the board.

It just hasn't turned out like that. For one thing you cannot stipulate the type of member you get, and for another there are far too many such boards already - I find it hard to believe any of them are making much money.

Be that as it may. But beware, you and the likes of you are at risk of being swamped by a sea of cheaper yellow and black expats who may well replace the likes of you with the consequence of you being repatriated to whence you came. And then we'll see you going to your own expat ghetto to commiserate with others like you. Is it with this sense of foreboding that you seek out forums with others like you? Anyone with zero tolerance of others will find themselves tsunamied out by the waves of the very hordes they have aversion of.

The cheek of you to presume the intentions of the owners of this forum!! :evil:

seasider
Chatter
Chatter

Postby seasider » Thu, 06 Jan 2005 5:59 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: And the cheek of you to presume you know my personal circumstances. :lol: You are very wrong. Do you actually understand that I am agreeing, this board should be for all?

Some of your words are in very bad taste.