Singapore Expats

Surrender EP

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
machoman

Surrender EP

Post by machoman » Mon, 02 Dec 2013 1:51 pm

Hello,

I need some advise. I have resigned from my job here and am heading back home. Should i surrender my EP to the office or to the immigration authorities at the airport?

Thanks

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Mon, 02 Dec 2013 2:37 pm

Your employer will collect the card and give you the 30-day SVP in exchange.

machoman

Post by machoman » Mon, 02 Dec 2013 3:03 pm

I do not need an SVP. I am leaving the same day that i hand over the EP. Just that I hand over the EP to the employer. So the immigration authorities will not get it. Is that ok.

AngMoG
Reporter
Reporter

Post by AngMoG » Mon, 02 Dec 2013 4:00 pm

machoman wrote:I do not need an SVP. I am leaving the same day that i hand over the EP. Just that I hand over the EP to the employer. So the immigration authorities will not get it. Is that ok.
Just take the SVP, as you will need to have a valid visa when exiting Singapore, and the EP will already be canceled at that time.

machoman

Post by machoman » Mon, 02 Dec 2013 4:11 pm

AngMoG wrote:
machoman wrote:I do not need an SVP. I am leaving the same day that i hand over the EP. Just that I hand over the EP to the employer. So the immigration authorities will not get it. Is that ok.
Just take the SVP, as you will need to have a valid visa when exiting Singapore, and the EP will already be canceled at that time.

Well my EP will not be cancelled by the time i leave Singapore. Infact it will be done after I leave and so i may not need an SVP. Now at the airport i will not have the EP card to show to anyone as i will have surrendered the same to my employer. Is this normal? That is my doubt...

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Mon, 02 Dec 2013 4:27 pm

Regardless whether you are leaving before or after your EP is due to expire/terminate, you are supposed to hand it over to your employer. Your employer will then have it terminated using MOM portal, hence terminating your multiple-entry visa which you have been enjoying with this EP.

Q: How would you then justify your presence in Singapore now that your EP is no longer with you?

A: MOM will then send the 30-day SVP, which will be printed and handed to you on the spot. This is a bog standard procedure.

AngMoG
Reporter
Reporter

Post by AngMoG » Mon, 02 Dec 2013 5:19 pm

machoman wrote:
AngMoG wrote:

Well my EP will not be cancelled by the time i leave Singapore. Infact it will be done after I leave and so i may not need an SVP. Now at the airport i will not have the EP card to show to anyone as i will have surrendered the same to my employer. Is this normal? That is my doubt...
](*,)

As the lynx also said, the EP is canceled instantly when it is canceled by the employer. From that moment on, you will be on the social visit pass.

I do not understand why you want to make your own life difficult by not taking the SVP with you that your employer is required to give to you. It may well be that this does not present a problem while exiting. But know that they would be well within their rights to give you trouble and fine you if you do not have your SVP for presentation while going through immigration one last time.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 02 Dec 2013 5:50 pm

Almost sounds like you are doing a runner. Have you notified your employer a month in advance that you are leaving? Have you had your IR-21 filed by your employer and the resulting Income Tax bill deducted from your final salary? You need to clear with your employer on your last day of work. If you haven't and you haven't cleared with IRAS, when you try to return your EP, you will be check through the database to ensure compliance and possibly be retained if you haven't been cleared by IRAS. Why not do it the correct way? Or are you doing a runner from your employer?

If you do it properly, your employer will collect your card and print your SVP direct from the MOM site and give it to you. You will then hand that to immigration and be on your merry way.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Mon, 02 Dec 2013 6:03 pm

I was previously here on an LTVP. Last time I left I just handed the card to the guy at customs/Changi as we left. Yes, it felt pretty damned weird. Like going from 'accredited resident' to 'visitor with no status' in 5 seconds.

p.s. Agree with SMS, (although I'm not so casually cynical and jaundiced [/jk]) ... sounds like someone going to do a runner. Be aware, it's pretty much a one way ticket. If you try and f-over employers or authorities here, you can likely never come back. Consider veeeeery carefully.

BoroBoy
Regular
Regular

Post by BoroBoy » Mon, 02 Dec 2013 9:26 pm

How is this situation handled for gardening leave? i.e. in finance when I quit a job I need to give 3 months notice but this is taken as gardening leave where I am still under the official employment of the company for 3 more moths but my security pass and workstation access are revoked. For all intent and purpose I no longer work for the company. In that situation many people will leave the country before their employment is officially terminated.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Mon, 02 Dec 2013 9:54 pm

But you're technically, albeit not physically, employed.

So there's your visa still in place.
Don't you think?

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 02 Dec 2013 10:03 pm

BoroBoy wrote:How is this situation handled for gardening leave? i.e. in finance when I quit a job I need to give 3 months notice but this is taken as gardening leave where I am still under the official employment of the company for 3 more moths but my security pass and workstation access are revoked. For all intent and purpose I no longer work for the company. In that situation many people will leave the country before their employment is officially terminated.
You are totally incorrect. If you are on Garden Leave you serving out your notice. You are being paid whilst on Garden Leave and if you leave early you are breaking the terms of your employment agreement. You are in the wrong. Full Stop. If pme leaves before their notice period is up (it doesn't matter if one is in the office or sitting on their duff at home watching the tellie). As long as they are on the payroll they are employed. It sounded like he was trying to do a runner. Looks like my intuition was right again. Only in his case it is out of ignorance as he apparently didn't know any better. Would you rather that they gave you a desk and chair in the broom closet and just let you sit there every day for three months without security clearance due to what sounds like proprietary information that you may have had access to? Think about it.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

BoroBoy
Regular
Regular

Post by BoroBoy » Mon, 02 Dec 2013 10:42 pm

Actually, my last contract stated that while I was on gardening leave I had to agree to attend to the office within 24 hours notice. I did not say anything about not leaving the country. So, if my new job was in the UK I can leave Singapore and go back to the UK, I dont need to sit idle in Singapore for 3 months. But I do need to be able to get back to the office with 24 hours notice, which is easily possible but highly unlikely to happen.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 02 Dec 2013 11:27 pm

Fair enough, Garden Leave means basically not coming to the office unless instructed to do so by the powers that be. You are still to be available to assist with turnover if necessary. 24 hours notice is very fair.

machoman

Post by machoman » Tue, 03 Dec 2013 1:46 am

JR8 wrote:I was previously here on an LTVP. Last time I left I just handed the card to the guy at customs/Changi as we left. Yes, it felt pretty damned weird. Like going from 'accredited resident' to 'visitor with no status' in 5 seconds.

p.s. Agree with SMS, (although I'm not so casually cynical and jaundiced [/jk]) ... sounds like someone going to do a runner. Be aware, it's pretty much a one way ticket. If you try and f-over employers or authorities here, you can likely never come back. Consider veeeeery carefully.
No I am not running. Thanks anyway...