Applying for citizen alone vs family

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
Se mummy

Applying for citizen alone vs family

Post by Se mummy » Sun, 01 Dec 2013 12:59 am

Hi there. Sorry if this has already been asked and answered. However I trawled through 5 pages and couldn't find a similar situation

I plan to apply for citizenship for myself and my 2 children. My husband doesn't want to give up his citizenship and so wants to remain a SPR

My background
SPR 1 year
Malaysian Chinese 37 years old
2 girls (2 and 4 years )
Doctor medical and phd
Working in Singapore general hospital
Salary in excess of 10k
Contract with the hospital for 3 years

What are the chances of applying on my own vs as a family unit. My husband really does not want to give up his Malaysian citizenship for sentimental reasons

Thanks in advance

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 10

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 01 Dec 2013 11:21 am

I'd say probably pretty good. But not by anything I can put a finger on. Everything is good with that one exception being not a family unit. I still think you will be successful. Give it a try. The worst they can do is say no.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

PNGMK
Answers: 2

Post by PNGMK » Sun, 01 Dec 2013 9:29 pm

Your husbands nationality will have a play... For example if he is Afghan or Pakistan it won't help that he's not joining in but if he's MY and therefore a cousin it's not likely to have much bearing IMHO.

lstam

Post by lstam » Wed, 12 Feb 2014 5:00 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:I'd say probably pretty good. But not by anything I can put a finger on. Everything is good with that one exception being not a family unit. I still think you will be successful. Give it a try. The worst they can do is say no.
If SPR only 1 year, can attempt to apply for citizenship? I've similar senario like this...

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 10

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 12 Feb 2014 5:14 pm

How long ago was that?

Personally, I would say it is an exercise in futility unless you are Malaysian Chinese and even then, wouldn't give it too much chance. My honest opinion. I can blow smoke if you would prefer. :-|
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

iamneo

Post by iamneo » Wed, 12 Feb 2014 5:20 pm

Hi
I will say ahead. One year is short but you have other advantages. And please share with js your results

lstam

Post by lstam » Wed, 12 Feb 2014 5:22 pm

Yes, Malaysian Chinese and intend to apply together with my son who are 1 yr old+. Holding my SPR for 18 months, possible to seek for the application? or advisable to wait at least 2 years SPR status?

Saint
Director
Director

Post by Saint » Wed, 12 Feb 2014 5:34 pm

The recent new regulations on PRs buying HDBs has really put a dent in your plans :wink:

lstam

Post by lstam » Wed, 12 Feb 2014 5:37 pm

Precisely... So just wondering does Se Mummy having her try to apply..