Singapore Expats

Seek advice: "may be liable for full time National Service"

Do you have a question about National Service (NS) in Singapore? Discuss it here.
silas85

Seek advice: "may be liable for full time National Serv

Post by silas85 » Sat, 30 Nov 2013 11:15 pm

Hello guys

Need advice on above subject matter.

My wife and I applied for Singapore PR together, with her being the main applicant.

A few days ago, we received our in-principle approval letter for PR. We were overjoyed! However, that feeling was short-lived as we came to know that I may be liable for full time National Service if I become Singapore PR.

I'm 28 years old, working in a professional firm and holding EP. I would like to know what are my chances of being called up to serve NS once I become PR?

I know this question has been asked in other threads, one of which i found informative was this http://forum.singaporeexpats.com/ftopic ... asc-0.html.

However, the last post in that thread was in 2011.

I'm wondering if anyone has any experiences/updates to share with regard to this?

Thanks a lot!

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 01 Dec 2013 11:14 am

Whatever you have found in that thread is still relevant today. The G'ment has not changed their rules or stance for the last 20 years. Well, if anything, since the Piano Man, the have been seen to be getting more aggressive. There IS a good possibility that as as tag along PR you could theoretically be called up. The alternative is not to take up the PR yourself and stay on an EP, but that has it's own set of built-in hazards as well considering the current pogrom against foreigners. So, the way I see it, you buys your ticket and you takes your chances. Either way, there, in theory, could be some unpleasantness. So, from my way of thinking, be sure that Singapore is where you want to make your "home" and not just something for a longer term VISA.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Saint
Director
Director

Post by Saint » Sun, 01 Dec 2013 7:22 pm

As far as I'm aware your husband will be a 1st generation PR so won't be liable for NS

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 01 Dec 2013 7:38 pm

Saint wrote:As far as I'm aware your husband will be a 1st generation PR so won't be liable for NS
Curious. Do you reckon a family who applies together as a family unit that happens to contain a 19 year old son (still under the age of majority) will be considered a 1st Generation PR? After all, the son IS first generation as is his parents as all received PR together based on the main applicant's sponsorship.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Saint
Director
Director

Post by Saint » Tue, 03 Dec 2013 10:50 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Saint wrote:As far as I'm aware your husband will be a 1st generation PR so won't be liable for NS
Curious. Do you reckon a family who applies together as a family unit that happens to contain a 19 year old son (still under the age of majority) will be considered a 1st Generation PR? After all, the son IS first generation as is his parents as all received PR together based on the main applicant's sponsorship.
Parents will classed as 1st Generation PR as applied under PTS scheme

Son will be classed as 2nd Generation PR and therefore liable for NS