Singapore Expats Forum

Windy Singapore

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Windy Singapore

Postby JR8 » Fri, 29 Nov 2013 12:44 pm

Does it exist?

I never see a tree branch or leaf quiver (and I overlook perhaps 50 trees).

Is there ever a wind here, the air seems very stagnant?

I am curious, from a meteorological perspective.

User avatar
Barnsley
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2066
Joined: Tue, 10 Jun 2008
Location: Pasir Ris
Contact:

Re: Windy Singapore

Postby Barnsley » Fri, 29 Nov 2013 1:35 pm

JR8 wrote:Does it exist?

I never see a tree branch or leaf quiver (and I overlook perhaps 50 trees).

Is there ever a wind here, the air seems very stagnant?

I am curious, from a meteorological perspective.


When the bus goes by :D
Life is short, paddle harder!!

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34270
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 29 Nov 2013 1:49 pm

Looking at the number of trees that are blown over every month here, I'd say you are in the wrong place.

User avatar
Max Headroom
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 591
Joined: Wed, 08 May 2013
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Postby Max Headroom » Fri, 29 Nov 2013 2:07 pm

The good news is that the gloriously windy days are almost upon us. The cooler NE breeze should pick up in earnest this week or perhaps the next. Sure, we still have the Big Wet to endure, a week or 2 of incessant rain, but after that, it'll be a lot windier than the SW monsoon months, especially in the East.

And it will be almost non-stop, day and night, so grab your shampoo bottle from the window ledge.

The bad news is that, by and large, the wind here has been on the decline for years, not only in windy-day frequency, but in average peak power as well. Could be a big picture thing. Could be a local thing. Could be both.

Yeah, we still get some howlers bringing trees down, especially at night it seems, but generally even the average number of decent squalls per year appears to be decreasing.
Last edited by Max Headroom on Fri, 29 Nov 2013 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
the lynx
Governor
Governor
Posts: 5239
Joined: Thu, 09 Dec 2010
Location: Midgar

Postby the lynx » Fri, 29 Nov 2013 2:11 pm

You're definitely on the wrong part of Singapore. Singapore can get uncomfortably windy - at least at the areas where I frequent.

User avatar
Max Headroom
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 591
Joined: Wed, 08 May 2013
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Postby Max Headroom » Fri, 29 Nov 2013 2:14 pm

Yeah, location makes a difference; I used to live in Bukit Timah and it was unbearably stifling year-round. Hot and ever so still. But the East is way breezier, even during the typically not-so-windy SW monsoon.

bgd
Editor
Editor
Posts: 1176
Joined: Wed, 25 Jul 2007

Postby bgd » Fri, 29 Nov 2013 3:21 pm

But the wind never lasts. A short sharp storm to take out a few trees and then back to normal.

Having lived in windy places, Singapore isn't windy. Another plus point. :)

User avatar
QRM
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1831
Joined: Mon, 17 Oct 2005
Location: Nassim hill

Postby QRM » Fri, 29 Nov 2013 3:44 pm

How did Stamford Raffles and his merry men get here and back? :lol:

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34270
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 29 Nov 2013 4:30 pm

very long oars? :lol:

User avatar
zzm9980
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6837
Joined: Wed, 06 Jul 2011
Location: Once more unto the breach

Re: Windy Singapore

Postby zzm9980 » Fri, 29 Nov 2013 5:11 pm

JR8 wrote:Does it exist?

I never see a tree branch or leaf quiver (and I overlook perhaps 50 trees).

Is there ever a wind here, the air seems very stagnant?

I am curious, from a meteorological perspective.


I live in East Coast on a high floor directly facing the strait. I would say roughly 45% of the time the air is hot and stagnant, 45% a very comfortable breeze that allows us to turn off the a/c and open the door and windows, and that last 10% the 1-2 hours before a storm where the breeze is so crazy we have to batten the hatches to keep layers of sand and debris from coating everything.

User avatar
Wd40
Director
Director
Posts: 3788
Joined: Tue, 04 Dec 2012
Location: SIndiapore

Postby Wd40 » Fri, 29 Nov 2013 5:15 pm

From what I know Singapore has very high concentration of people with sinus problems. Even those houses which are located and have the right alignment to get breezy, they would go and close all the doors and windows.

User avatar
ScoobyDoes
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1650
Joined: Wed, 29 Nov 2006
Location: A More Lucky Spot

Postby ScoobyDoes » Fri, 29 Nov 2013 6:04 pm

Tell it to the bonnet of my car that still has several dents rippled over it where a branch blew down on it as I drove past.
'When Lewis Hamilton wins a race he has to thank Vodafone whereas in my day I used to chase the crumpet. I know which era I'd rather race in.'

SIR Stirling Moss OBE

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Re: Windy Singapore

Postby JR8 » Fri, 29 Nov 2013 7:01 pm

zzm9980 wrote: I live in East Coast on a high floor directly facing the strait. I would say roughly 45% of the time the air is hot and stagnant, 45% a very comfortable breeze that allows us to turn off the a/c and open the door and windows, and that last 10% the 1-2 hours before a storm where the breeze is so crazy we have to batten the hatches to keep layers of sand and debris from coating everything.


Maybe this is it, that there is wind on the fringes, but less/much less in the heartlands. I can't say I've seen a branch, never mind tree, brought down by wind, the idea is almost laughable (hence the original question).

The only time I witness air movement is 'the wind before the storm'. As per this afternoon, a useful 1-minute warning that the climactic dung is about to hit the fan.

Grumpy77
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 151
Joined: Thu, 30 Jul 2009

Postby Grumpy77 » Fri, 29 Nov 2013 7:10 pm

Any sailor will tell you all you need to know about 'the westerlies', 'the trade windes' and that silly little thing we live in called the ITCZ - intertropical convergence zone.

We get squalls, thunder, lightning, and lots of waterspouts - just not a lot of real wind.

Sad but true...

User avatar
zzm9980
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6837
Joined: Wed, 06 Jul 2011
Location: Once more unto the breach

Re: Windy Singapore

Postby zzm9980 » Fri, 29 Nov 2013 8:34 pm

JR8 wrote:
zzm9980 wrote: I live in East Coast on a high floor directly facing the strait. I would say roughly 45% of the time the air is hot and stagnant, 45% a very comfortable breeze that allows us to turn off the a/c and open the door and windows, and that last 10% the 1-2 hours before a storm where the breeze is so crazy we have to batten the hatches to keep layers of sand and debris from coating everything.


Maybe this is it, that there is wind on the fringes, but less/much less in the heartlands. I can't say I've seen a branch, never mind tree, brought down by wind, the idea is almost laughable (hence the original question).

The only time I witness air movement is 'the wind before the storm'. As per this afternoon, a useful 1-minute warning that the climactic dung is about to hit the fan.


I've also noticed various 'wind channels' when walking around through the local neighborhood. The areas between some buildings are like wind tunnels, while others are dead. Maybe your local architecture affects this near you?


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “General Discussions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests