Singapore Expats

Glasses in Singapore, "Return Policy"

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
Akimbo
Reporter
Reporter

Glasses in Singapore, "Return Policy"

Post by Akimbo » Thu, 28 Nov 2013 11:17 am

Hey guys, yesterday I just bought a new pair of glasses. I have myopia and astigmatism. After the first test a week ago in the store, turns out that my left eye has increased in astigmatism, while my right eye seems to be the same.

After I got it yesterday, I just realized it today, that it seems that the prescription for my right eye is not correct, as I am not getting the same clarity as my left eye. Most likely it has increased as well.

Has anyone tried to go back to the same store where they bought their glasses, and ask for a replacement for the lenses that was prescribed wrongly? Would this be free, I hope?
My thread...The Weekenders If you need my e-mail address, it's in the first post of the thread.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Re: Glasses in Singapore, "Return Policy"

Post by zzm9980 » Thu, 28 Nov 2013 12:19 pm

Akimbo wrote:Hey guys, yesterday I just bought a new pair of glasses. I have myopia and astigmatism. After the first test a week ago in the store, turns out that my left eye has increased in astigmatism, while my right eye seems to be the same.

After I got it yesterday, I just realized it today, that it seems that the prescription for my right eye is not correct, as I am not getting the same clarity as my left eye. Most likely it has increased as well.

Has anyone tried to go back to the same store where they bought their glasses, and ask for a replacement for the lenses that was prescribed wrongly? Would this be free, I hope?
You can hope, but most likely it will be case by case and store by store, and solely up to the generosity of the person helping you. Did they actually cut the lenses wrong from what they prescribed? Or did you just realize that whatever results they came to based on those stupid wall charts and lens-contraptions they test with wasn't right?

On the plus side, lenses here are rather cheap if you just have to pay to replace that portion.

Akimbo
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Akimbo » Thu, 28 Nov 2013 12:33 pm

The test was fine, the salesperson did great with my left eye. But the right one was left out...pardon the pun.

I mean, during the eye test, they had concentrated more on my left eye, because I had said that I couldn't see clearly with their current setting. The right eye was just like...abandoned somewhere along the way after I said, "Yeah, I can read A I E O U".

Now with this glasses, I can see just fine (albeit still feeling nauseous this morning) I close my right eye, I can read a big sign 20 feet away with my left, but when I close my left eye, it got all blurry with the right. Meaning it wasn't correct.

I really hope they are willing to replace just this one lens, because I'm perfectly satisfied with the other.

And how cheap is "cheap", zzm? This thing that I bought is somewhere arnd 180 bux frame+lenses...
My thread...The Weekenders If you need my e-mail address, it's in the first post of the thread.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Thu, 28 Nov 2013 1:00 pm

It is not really clear from your post who was at fault. This probably means you are at their mercy.

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Thu, 28 Nov 2013 1:18 pm

If you use Cryzal lens, then it may not be cheap to replace.

So you already figured out that the testing wasn't done properly but why didn't you raise that concern on that day itself?

Another way to find out is to bring your lens, your prescription and have them compared. Even better, do another round of eye test just to be sure.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 28 Nov 2013 1:35 pm

Sounds cheap to me, It costs between $450 ~650 :o for both my wife and my daughter's glasses without fancy designer frames. Me? around $20 for 1.5x reading glasses.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Akimbo
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Akimbo » Thu, 28 Nov 2013 2:05 pm

x9200 wrote:It is not really clear from your post who was at fault. This probably means you are at their mercy.
I guess what zzm said is right, just hope that they do replace...
the lynx wrote:If you use Cryzal lens, then it may not be cheap to replace.

So you already figured out that the testing wasn't done properly but why didn't you raise that concern on that day itself?

Another way to find out is to bring your lens, your prescription and have them compared. Even better, do another round of eye test just to be sure.
I did raise some concern, but then the salesperson explained that it's because of three lenses on top of each other, that's why it feels that the sight is weird (making me dizzy) and I even felt that my old glasses was much clearer, but after I got this yesterday, it is slightly better than my old pair. The nauseating feeling that you get when you wear a new pair of glasses will dissipate over time, which I am already feeling this afternoon.

Nevertheless, I'll go back to the store this evening and do another eye test just to be sure. I just hope if I do have to pay extra to replace one lens, it's not gonna be more than 20 bux or something...

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Thu, 28 Nov 2013 2:46 pm

Oh yeah, cheap for me was $90 to replace some lenses in an old pair of frames (Tag ones, Lynx :P ) I had with an updated prescription.

Akimbo
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Akimbo » Thu, 28 Nov 2013 10:37 pm

So I went and get my eyes checked again...

It concluded that I am to wear the same prescription...but when I tried the "modular glasses" and the new glasses, it's just different for my right eye...or maybe there is something wrong with my right eye, because when we tried the astigmatism test, I keep on getting (slightly) blurry vision no matter how low or high the prescription is after a certain point...maybe I should try an ophtalmologist...anybody can recommend a freebie consultation or something?

But anyway, the same salesperson took it as a factory defect for the lens, so they took it free of charge to be replaced...that's all folks :)