Singapore Expats

Traveling outside of Singapore during job change SP/EP

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
McMarco

Traveling outside of Singapore during job change SP/EP

Post by McMarco » Wed, 27 Nov 2013 4:14 pm

I'm currently working for company X holding S-PASS. I'm changing to company Y. There will be 2 weeks between last day at comp X and first day at comp Y which I would like to use for some traveling (Cambodia and Vietnam).

I understand that there will be Short Term Tourist Visa issued for 30 days after SPASS cancellation.

Is this legal/safe to leave Singapore in that case? Anyone been in similar situation? I don't want to get stuck at Changi on my way back ;)
You want something? Go and get it!

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Re: Traveling outside of Singapore during job change SP/EP

Post by the lynx » Wed, 27 Nov 2013 4:21 pm

McMarco wrote:I'm currently working for company X holding S-PASS. I'm changing to company Y. There will be 2 weeks between last day at comp X and first day at comp Y which I would like to use for some traveling (Cambodia and Vietnam).

I understand that there will be Short Term Tourist Visa issued for 30 days after SPASS cancellation.

Is this legal/safe to leave Singapore in that case? Anyone been in similar situation? I don't want to get stuck at Changi on my way back ;)
No problem.

I assume you already have an IPA for company Y so you can re-enter Singapore after your trip with that as your visa (and your passport of course.)
Last edited by the lynx on Thu, 28 Nov 2013 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

McMarco

Post by McMarco » Thu, 28 Nov 2013 11:30 am

Actually I did not received IPA yet. This is valid point - thanks for that. I've asked comp Y for it.

Also if anyone is interested - I've spoke with MOM and it turned out that while on Short Term Tourist Visa when leaving Singapore you have to give it back to migration point(?). Re-entering Singapore on this visa is not possible but new touristic visa should be issued. IPA will definitely help to secure the return.

nutnut
Manager
Manager

Post by nutnut » Thu, 28 Nov 2013 3:56 pm

You may get stopped at customs to pay your tax if you have any due! They will be concerned that you are leaving without paying.

I have heard of people in similar situation being told they cannot leave cause they need to pay.
nutnut

McMarco

Post by McMarco » Wed, 15 Jan 2014 12:03 pm

For anyone interested in this topic here's my story (tl;dr - it went well):

- I paid all tax before leaving SG although I was told that tax is getting due after 2 weeks from leaving job so in theory nobody should bother me leaving during 2 weeks. I preferred not to risk.
- I shipped my SPASS back to MOM before leaving (Saturday morning; leafing Monday morning) - it is not possible to give EP/SP to migration officer in the airport.
- I had no issues with leaving SG - got the stamp that I'm leaving.
- I asked for IPA (as recommended in this thread) and got it printed with me. When entering SG, after my trip, migration officer just glanced at it and gave me a stamp in my passport.

So... in my case - no issues at all :)

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Wed, 15 Jan 2014 1:52 pm

McMarco wrote:- I shipped my SPASS back to MOM before leaving (Saturday morning; leafing Monday morning) - it is not possible to give EP/SP to migration officer in the airport.
Interesting. I have given up an LTVP card at Changi, on permanent departure.