Marrying Foreigner from Malaysia

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.
Post Reply
catuser
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue, 26 Nov 2013 1:16 pm
Location: Singapore

Marrying Foreigner from Malaysia

Post by catuser » Tue, 26 Nov 2013 1:22 pm

Hi everyone, I have some question to ask.
I'm Indonesian-Chinese who's currently a Singapore PR.
I planning to do my ROM here at Singapore.
My GF is a malaysian who's currently being blacklisted for some reason after been visiting Singapore couple of times.
Is it possible for me to do the ROM here? or any suggestion?
Thank you very much.
Nobody is perfect

User avatar
the lynx
Governor
Governor
Posts: 5281
Joined: Thu, 09 Dec 2010 6:29 pm
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Tue, 26 Nov 2013 1:25 pm

And what is that reason? We need to know to be able to understand your situation and give suitable advice.

User avatar
nakatago
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8363
Joined: Tue, 01 Sep 2009 11:23 pm
Location: Sister Margaret’s School for Wayward Children

Re: Marrying Foreigner from Malaysia

Post by nakatago » Tue, 26 Nov 2013 1:26 pm

catuser wrote:Hi everyone, I have some question to ask.
I'm Indonesian-Chinese who's currently a Singapore PR.
I planning to do my ROM here at Singapore.
My GF is a malaysian who's currently being blacklisted for some reason after been visiting Singapore couple of times.
Is it possible for me to do the ROM here? or any suggestion?
Thank you very much.
That's the keyword right there.

I'm not 100% sure but given she can't even enter the country, no.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

catuser
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue, 26 Nov 2013 1:16 pm
Location: Singapore

Marrying Foreigner from Malaysia

Post by catuser » Tue, 26 Nov 2013 1:29 pm

the lynx wrote:And what is that reason? We need to know to be able to understand your situation and give suitable advice.
I'm not sure as the ICA din't give a clear reason.
I think is because she has been visiting Singapore too often.
Nobody is perfect

AngMoG
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 609
Joined: Wed, 17 Apr 2013 11:39 am

Re: Marrying Foreigner from Malaysia

Post by AngMoG » Tue, 26 Nov 2013 4:16 pm

catuser wrote:
the lynx wrote:And what is that reason? We need to know to be able to understand your situation and give suitable advice.
I'm not sure as the ICA din't give a clear reason.
I think is because she has been visiting Singapore too often.
Then the next question is: how long ago was she blacklisted? I believe if the reason is too frequent visits, it may expire after some time.

iloverice
Regular
Regular
Posts: 132
Joined: Fri, 30 Mar 2012 10:45 pm
Location: Singapore

Re: Marrying Foreigner from Malaysia

Post by iloverice » Tue, 26 Nov 2013 4:35 pm

catuser wrote:Hi everyone, I have some question to ask.
I'm Indonesian-Chinese who's currently a Singapore PR.
I planning to do my ROM here at Singapore.
My GF is a malaysian who's currently being blacklisted for some reason after been visiting Singapore couple of times.
Is it possible for me to do the ROM here? or any suggestion?
Thank you very much.
I don't think you can do ROM here without bringing her back to SG first. Visiting Singapore couple of times is not illegal. Perhaps there are more reasons that you'd like to share? Malaysian always considered as family to Singapore, so i doubt the ICA blacklist someone from Malaysia without valid reason.

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 40016
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 1:26 pm
Answers: 11
Location: Retired on the Little Red Dot

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 26 Nov 2013 5:45 pm

I have my suspicions but I'll not voice them. :-|
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

User avatar
Max Headroom
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 912
Joined: Wed, 08 May 2013 11:31 am
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Post by Max Headroom » Tue, 26 Nov 2013 8:18 pm

Nevertheless, I still hope you're wrong, SMS.

OP, ICA won't use terms like "blacklisted" in their correspondence. Perhaps you could share exactly what they communicated to you or your girlfriend, as in, verbatim. I think there will be at least a few clues there.

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16522
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010 12:43 pm
Location: K. Puki Manis

Post by JR8 » Tue, 26 Nov 2013 10:28 pm

Was she working here as a prostitute?

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 40016
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 1:26 pm
Answers: 11
Location: Retired on the Little Red Dot

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 26 Nov 2013 10:37 pm

And they say Yanks are tactless?
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16522
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010 12:43 pm
Location: K. Puki Manis

Post by JR8 » Tue, 26 Nov 2013 10:44 pm

The Yanks are the military, the Brits their diplomats.

So, I've done my bit. All you have to do is moderate his subsequent ire :lol:

azrin610
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat, 07 Dec 2013 7:33 pm
Contact:

Post by azrin610 » Sat, 07 Dec 2013 8:26 pm

Indonesian marry Malaysian.

Go marry in Malaysia.
otherwise... the marriage is NOT RECOGNISED by both KBRI and KDN Malaysia.

If she was working here before... then that is reasons MOM banned her. Ask her frankly. My wife can enter ..but cannot apply marriage at ROMM due to she is a civil servant.
Just a Singaporean who had to run back from Kent.

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 40016
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 1:26 pm
Answers: 11
Location: Retired on the Little Red Dot

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 07 Dec 2013 9:01 pm

azrin610 wrote:Indonesian marry Malaysian.

Go marry in Malaysia.
otherwise... the marriage is NOT RECOGNISED by both KBRI and KDN Malaysia.

If she was working here before... then that is reasons MOM banned her. Ask her frankly. My wife can enter ..but cannot apply marriage at ROMM due to she is a civil servant.
Who said she was a civil servant. As for the ban, ROMing in Singapore will NOT be disallowed, even if she work here on a work permit and didn't get prior permission from MOM to marry. What will happen is she will be allowed to ROM and then the ICA will not give her a DP. Therefore either forcing them to live apart even though they are legally married OR the PR holder can go to her country to live.

Even if she worked here before on a work permit, she does not need permission to marry a PR. She only needs permission to marry a citizen if she held a WP. Maybe you ought to check up on your facts. You may have been away for too long.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Relocating, Moving to Singapore”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests