Singapore Expats Forum

Mr Tarik Eating House in Changi Village.. no more

Discuss about any latest news or current affairs in Singapore or globally. Please DO NOT copy and paste news articles from other sources without written permission.
User avatar
Barnsley
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2066
Joined: Tue, 10 Jun 2008
Location: Pasir Ris
Contact:

Mr Tarik Eating House in Changi Village.. no more

Postby Barnsley » Sun, 24 Nov 2013 8:39 pm

Are the closure of places such as these a better barometer to the state of the economy than the figures put out by the Govt.

So many food places have closed up my may in the past year and a half.

These places were pretty busy too.
Life is short, paddle harder!!

AngMoG
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 609
Joined: Wed, 17 Apr 2013

Postby AngMoG » Sun, 24 Nov 2013 11:40 pm

Difficult to tell, since the presented figures are generally doctored. Either directly/presented "in the right way". Or, alternatively, the underlying figures can also be manipulated by increased government or GLC spending...

So if sh*t hits the fan, the public would be the last to know ;)

User avatar
Wd40
Director
Director
Posts: 3788
Joined: Tue, 04 Dec 2012
Location: SIndiapore

Postby Wd40 » Mon, 25 Nov 2013 12:58 am

If some business closes, but a higher margin business comes in its place then, well, its not really hurting the economy atleast at the moment. In the Tampines mall, I know there was a chocolate popcorn shop in the ground floor and it wasnt doing much business and closed and the place was renovating. Yesterday we went to Tampines mall and saw that in its place there was a brand new plush French cafe called Paris Baguette opened and the place was roaring with business and people queueing outside, that we almost thought they were giving out stuff for free!

User avatar
zzm9980
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6837
Joined: Wed, 06 Jul 2011
Location: Once more unto the breach

Postby zzm9980 » Mon, 25 Nov 2013 9:39 am

Wd40 wrote: new plush French cafe called Paris Baguette

:lol: :lol:

"New American flame-grilling diner serving burgers called Burger King"

"New Italian espresso cafe called Starbucks"

It's just another huge chain that's everywhere in the world. Except maybe India.

User avatar
Wd40
Director
Director
Posts: 3788
Joined: Tue, 04 Dec 2012
Location: SIndiapore

Postby Wd40 » Mon, 25 Nov 2013 9:58 am

zzm9980 wrote:
Wd40 wrote: new plush French cafe called Paris Baguette

:lol: :lol:

"New American flame-grilling diner serving burgers called Burger King"

"New Italian espresso cafe called Starbucks"

It's just another huge chain that's everywhere in the world. Except maybe India.


Not everywhere in the world.
Only Korea, China, USA, Singapore, and Vietnam.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SPC_Group

User avatar
Barnsley
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2066
Joined: Tue, 10 Jun 2008
Location: Pasir Ris
Contact:

Postby Barnsley » Mon, 25 Nov 2013 11:23 am

I saw them in Korea ....

In Tampines Malls, Tampines 1 all the food places seem to do decent business, its a shame nobody goes in any of the other shops other than the Supermarket.
Life is short, paddle harder!!

katbh
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 598
Joined: Thu, 04 Oct 2007
Location: Singapore

Postby katbh » Mon, 25 Nov 2013 12:39 pm

Changi Village is a business world of its own. It does not reflect much about the rest of Singapore. Places open and close regularly - especially on the corner as you turn in. New place every 6 months. While other places have been there for years and look like never leaving!

User avatar
Wd40
Director
Director
Posts: 3788
Joined: Tue, 04 Dec 2012
Location: SIndiapore

Postby Wd40 » Mon, 25 Nov 2013 12:45 pm

Changi village has a certain vibe about it. There are lots of pubs there and they are frequented by expats. Not really mini clarke quay but, then I have not seen too many such places in Singapore with pubs and expats. This place is almost on par with siglap.

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34263
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 25 Nov 2013 1:12 pm

Yeah, but you got more TVs there than in Siglap. :lol:

User avatar
zzm9980
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6837
Joined: Wed, 06 Jul 2011
Location: Once more unto the breach

Postby zzm9980 » Mon, 25 Nov 2013 3:06 pm

Wd40 wrote:Not really mini clarke quay but, then I have not seen too many such places in Singapore with pubs and expats. This place is almost on par with siglap.


Yeah but you barely leave your little bubble around Tampines and CBP. So what you haven't seen doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

User avatar
zzm9980
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6837
Joined: Wed, 06 Jul 2011
Location: Once more unto the breach

Postby zzm9980 » Mon, 25 Nov 2013 3:07 pm

Wd40 wrote:
zzm9980 wrote:
Wd40 wrote: new plush French cafe called Paris Baguette

:lol: :lol:

"New American flame-grilling diner serving burgers called Burger King"

"New Italian espresso cafe called Starbucks"

It's just another huge chain that's everywhere in the world. Except maybe India.


Not everywhere in the world.
Only Korea, China, USA, Singapore, and Vietnam.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SPC_Group


Right but it's still a rather large chain, and you just named countries that cover a huge portion of the world's population, probably 25-35% of it.

User avatar
Barnsley
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2066
Joined: Tue, 10 Jun 2008
Location: Pasir Ris
Contact:

Postby Barnsley » Mon, 25 Nov 2013 3:13 pm

katbh wrote:Changi Village is a business world of its own. It does not reflect much about the rest of Singapore. Places open and close regularly - especially on the corner as you turn in. New place every 6 months. While other places have been there for years and look like never leaving!


I thought Mr Teh Tarik place had been open quite a while... always seemed quite full as well.

There used be a nice vietnam noodle place there.... sadly it didnt serve alcohol.

New place is gonna be a steamboat place ...... opening in November .... They better be quick :cool:
Life is short, paddle harder!!

User avatar
Wd40
Director
Director
Posts: 3788
Joined: Tue, 04 Dec 2012
Location: SIndiapore

Postby Wd40 » Mon, 25 Nov 2013 3:42 pm

Yeah, none of the Mr Teh Tarik food courts serve alcohol. There is one right in front of my house. There was one near our house, when we stayed in AMK and there is one in CBP in the plaza 8 building.


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Latest News & Current Affairs”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests