Singapore Expats

Open a small business holding a LTVP

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
joeric21

Open a small business holding a LTVP

Post by joeric21 » Sun, 24 Nov 2013 5:18 pm

Hi,
I have been living in Singapore for more than 1 year and I am holding a LTVP sponsored by the company where my fiancee is employed (EP).
I plan to open a small manicure home service business to occupy my free time and get little income (I will be the only employee). I would like to make sure I am allowed to open this kind of business and I wonder what is the legal and official way to register this company.. I tried to find some information on MOM website but it's not very clear. That's why I am seeking some help to get the best way forward.. Thank you in advance for your reply

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Open a small business holding a LTVP

Post by ecureilx » Mon, 25 Nov 2013 10:38 am

joeric21 wrote:Hi,
I have been living in Singapore for more than 1 year and I am holding a LTVP sponsored by the company where my fiancee is employed (EP).
I plan to open a small manicure home service business to occupy my free time and get little income (I will be the only employee). I would like to make sure I am allowed to open this kind of business and I wonder what is the legal and official way to register this company.. I tried to find some information on MOM website but it's not very clear. That's why I am seeking some help to get the best way forward.. Thank you in advance for your reply
you need to do some search here, on how to open your own business, on Entre-pass. and the associated minimum investment required etc.

And note that you cannot work on LTVP .. (or did you mean Dependent pass ?? )

joeric21

Post by joeric21 » Mon, 25 Nov 2013 7:02 pm

Thank you for your reply.. I am holding a LTVP for 3 years (and not a Dependent pass) only because we are not yet married. I know that I can't work under this pass and I have to convert into a WP or a SPASS to enroll a company. I would like to avoid working in a manicure salon and keep flexible hours and manage my time by doing only part time home service and get only little income.. I have read quite interesting things regarding opening business under DP using a LOC and registering the type of business. But so far, nothing for LTVP ...

x9200

Post by x9200 » Tue, 26 Nov 2013 6:46 am

You can NOT do it on WP/EP/S-P. The only practical possibilities are: DP (you should be married), Entre-Pass (you should invest money).
Also, I doubt a bit whether this would be that easy to get EntreP for what you intend to do.

Strong Eagle
Answers: 10

Post by Strong Eagle » Tue, 26 Nov 2013 11:24 am

Generally, the type of business you would like to open up would not be approved under any scheme. This kind of simple business is reserved for locals.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Tue, 26 Nov 2013 1:23 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:Generally, the type of business you would like to open up would not be approved under any scheme. This kind of simple business is reserved for locals.
but .. many a foreigner wants to do it .. so they can earn some extra cash . ... and many do freelance doing such stuff, just it is a matter of time before getting caught .. :)