Singapore Expats

Back-to-back EP application, will MoM reject/blacklist?

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
OzIT

Back-to-back EP application, will MoM reject/blacklist?

Post by OzIT » Sun, 24 Nov 2013 12:07 pm

Good Morning!

My scenario:
1. Currently holding Employment Pass from 'Company A' and working in Singapore
2. Got a offer (contract) from 'Company B', they applied for my Employment Pass (EP) and I got In-Principle Approval from Ministry of Manpower (MoM)
3. I am serving notice period with 'Company A' and a week later I got another job offer (permanent) from 'Company C' [is my dream role which I was trying from 5 years]
4. I had an offer with different company one month back, they too processed my IPA but after which they informed that their company policy doesn't allow sponsorship of Dependent Pass, as I am staying with my family they withdrew the Employment Pass application. This happened as the company didn't communicate clearly even-though I entered dependent details in the application form.

I am requesting forum members' advice on two points,

Point 1:
In current situation if in case Company B is ready to cancel my EP application and Company C applies for new EP - is there a chance that MoM may hold/reject the application as they see two back-to-back applications withdrawn in past 1 month?

Point 2:
If I collect the EP from MoM for Company B and requests Company C to apply for IPA (say a week later) is there a chance that MOM rejects the application as they see an EP already processed couple of days back?

Do the application get preference if the applying company is a top profiled one, or the newly applied job is permanent or is of higher salary?, please let me know if you have better suggestions.

Thank you all in advance for going through my post, and for valuable advice!

AngMoG
Reporter
Reporter

Post by AngMoG » Sun, 24 Nov 2013 3:04 pm

[quote=ozIT]Good Morning!

My scenario:
1. Currently holding Employment Pass from 'Company A' and working in Singapore
2. Got a offer (contract) from 'Company B', they applied for my Employment Pass (EP) and I got In-Principle Approval from Ministry of Manpower (MoM)
3. I am serving notice period with 'Company A' and a week later I got another job offer (permanent) from 'Company C' [is my dream role which I was trying from 5 years]
4. I had an offer with different company one month back, they too processed my IPA but after which they informed that their company policy doesn't allow sponsorship of Dependent Pass, as I am staying with my family they withdrew the Employment Pass application. This happened as the company didn't communicate clearly even-though I entered dependent details in the application form.

I am requesting forum members' advice on two points,

Point 1:
In current situation if in case Company B is ready to cancel my EP application and Company C applies for new EP - is there a chance that MoM may hold/reject the application as they see two back-to-back applications withdrawn in past 1 month?

Point 2:
If I collect the EP from MoM for Company B and requests Company C to apply for IPA (say a week later) is there a chance that MOM rejects the application as they see an EP already processed couple of days back?

Do the application get preference if the applying company is a top profiled one, or the newly applied job is permanent or is of higher salary?, please let me know if you have better suggestions.

Thank you all in advance for going through my post, and for valuable advice![/quote]

Point 1: Yes
Point 2: Yes

MoM does not like job hoppers (while not technically job hopping, your recent history looks very similar). I am not saying they are definitely going to reject, but in your situation it is quite possible. However, without knowing your nationality, ethnicity, experience level and salary level, it is difficult to answer.

I am not sure if one situation is better than the other one, I guess more experienced people can answer that.

One last point: your recent IPA withdrawal does not sound like it is not entirely the company's fault. It is you who should have communicated that very clearly. Putting it on the application form is not enough, knowing how "professional" most HR here are. I am also not sure where the sponsorship from the company comes in either - if you earn more than $4k, should you not be able to sponsor your spouse and children on your own?

I also assume that you have already signed with Company B, in which case of course they may or may not be ready to withdraw the IPA.

tl;dr I would say it is a gamble if you have Company B withdraw the application.
Last edited by AngMoG on Mon, 25 Nov 2013 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

beppi
Manager
Manager

Post by beppi » Sun, 24 Nov 2013 6:24 pm

I already told him the same (in different words) on another forum, where he posted first. It seems he is fishing for a more likeable answer here.
He has a contractual penalty of one month salary to pay to company B if he terminates before starting work (so they won't cancel IPA/EP before he paid up). And he's Indian, to boot, so his gamble is even more risky.
Oh the challenges of Kiasuism!

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sun, 24 Nov 2013 7:52 pm

Does his race have consequence in this?

I'd have thought he was just a guy coming in seeking a job.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 24 Nov 2013 10:44 pm

Yep, sure does. Rightly or wrongly, their brethren have caused them to be stereotyped so the government is wary. Don't forget, while it doesn't seems like it at the moment, the Government is very protective of it businesses and companies, therefore don't want to seem them being constantly being done in by job seekers that are only looking for stepping stones and not job security. Of course another complete discussion could be made against that premise but it also one of the reasons that the government will not enact a minimum wage here either. But I don't intend to get into one of your rambling discussions at the moment.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

OzIT

Post by OzIT » Mon, 25 Nov 2013 9:51 pm

Thank you beppi and sundaymorningstaple for the information. I decided not to take chances, and to be in a long-term relationship with Company B :)

Have a nice day!

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Mon, 25 Nov 2013 10:00 pm

Thanks too. I just do this for fun :o