Singapore Expats

Relocation to Singapore

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
ugez009

Relocation to Singapore

Post by ugez009 » Sat, 23 Nov 2013 5:20 pm

Yesterday my work told me I have to move to Singapore by 20th Jan from uk. I am sure many people here have been through the move, so apologise if my questions seem naive, but it is really daunting and do not know where to start, asking for your help, suggestions, experience. Visa stuff etc can be taken care of, but these are the main points:

1. Schools
a. have a 6 years old boy and 4 year old girl

-Suggestions of a few school we could check? we need a 7/10 level-we do not need the best school, but it needs to International School with western children. English system (if exisits)

-I guess we need to register, can we get a place intake mid February for example. No idea of waiting list.

-We want to live relatively close to the school i guess, but want to be relatively central. Assume we will not have a car.

b. Preschool.

Any ideas for the daughter?

2. Where to live.

a. will get a temp apartment for 2 months. Any idea of company i can get to arrange this, just temp one.

b. which area to live. I want to live in a good condominium. I have no idea on prices, but at moment pay 2800 pounds per month in UK rent for 3 bed flat.

I guess i can start with temp apt for 2 months then find something when there, but any ideas of best ares.

need to be close to work-thomson road, united square but want area where good for family, if park etc

3. Car

do we need one, hear very expensive and should take taxis, my children are older.

Thank you for your help.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Sat, 23 Nov 2013 5:29 pm

Well that's an OK area for a family (United Square), you can probably find a place to rent for about that same price. It might be older and smaller though.

Can't help on schools, except to say that you'll be spending $3000-4000 per month per kid in an International School. Plenty of them though, and lots of threads on it. Try the forum search function.

Lots of pre-schools, you'll find one in that area near where you'll work.

Your company is really issuing this ultimatum without providing any type of relocation assistance for you?

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Help! Relocation

Post by JR8 » Sat, 23 Nov 2013 6:20 pm

Hi and welcome to the forum.
My immediate reaction was similar to ZZMs, they’re ordering you to transfer, and yet leaving you two months to figure everything out by yourself?! Really!?
Schools – no idea, barring that good places have waiting lists and cost a fortune. Your employer will of course be applying for you, and paying the fees, right?
Most schools (fee paying ones) seem to run coaches around to pick up/drop-off children. So I’m not sure immediate proximity is a major major issue.
I expect you probably don’t want to live ‘relatively central’, but under the blizzard of having to relocate are seeking one of the few twigs of security that is in within reach. Transport is comprehensive, so not having a car is no big deal at all, almost anywhere in this country.
Temp accommodation (funded by the employer I expect, as it costs a LOT). Did they have no suggestions? Google for Serviced Apartments. We’ve used Citadines twice, Park Royal twice also, and most recently a place on Penang Lane just off Orchard, I forget it’s name.
£2800/mo for a 3 bed, yes you will find something similar here for that or less. It’ll be in zone 2, rather than ‘Orchard Road’, but you wouldn't advocate a person transferring to London live on Oxford Street would you?
What areas, tends to come down to a triangulation. Workplace – schools (if any) – leisure interests.
Why do you ‘need to be close to work’? United Square? Well, that would be rather like living on Regent Street in London, ultra-urban, and definitely not ‘good for family/children’.
Car, need? No.

ali66

Relocating

Post by ali66 » Fri, 29 Nov 2013 1:27 pm

Hi, I have details on all your questions as I also have 3 children and had to find schools when we moved here from the UK 4 years ago. It does seem very daunting but I can assure you it is a lot easier than you think. We love it here and have just become PRs. Singapore and their people are fabulous and if you are ready for a whole new experience with endless opportunities for your children to see this part of the world then embrace it whole heartedly. I can email you answers to everything just let me know your email address. I tried to PM you but as I have not posted much on here before it wont allow me to. Regards Ali66
Ali

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 29 Nov 2013 1:48 pm

We would prefer it if you could keep it to the open board so as to benefit all who might be having the same issues. Otherwise, it might be seen as potentially using this site for commercial reasons.....

SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Fri, 29 Nov 2013 7:25 pm

Have you considered just you coming initially?

3-6 months in a Serviced Apartment, time to get your feet under the desk. Get the lay of the land. It might allow for much better informed decisions in the longer term.

I don't see the need for 'entire family must move in 8 weeks: Now move it!!'

[I did something similar when moving to Tokyo (ex London), but didn't have children in tow. That was bullish Wall Street 'just get in there and do it'. But your situation seems presumptuous, extremely challenging, and frankly I might be inclined to stick two fingers up at them; the arrogance of 'The Orders' they have issued you with]

p.s. Unless of course they're bunging you £1/2mm+ in which case one might be slightly more amenable lol ...