Singapore Expats Forum

Looking for voluteering

Events and gatherings for the 30's Club
BPhereinSG
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed, 06 Nov 2013
Location: East Coast

Looking for voluteering

Postby BPhereinSG » Fri, 22 Nov 2013 11:55 pm

Hi,
Does anyone know of places where I can volunteer for helping children or old people?

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Postby JR8 » Sat, 23 Nov 2013 2:04 am

If it helps you feel better, you can come round and cook dinner.

p.s. what credentials do I need, on the scale of age/decrepitude? Would you cook for a party of 8 or ten ? (some of us can pretend to be old, if it helps the dynamic).

BPhereinSG
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed, 06 Nov 2013
Location: East Coast

@jr8

Postby BPhereinSG » Sat, 23 Nov 2013 12:43 pm

Hanha ha. Good one.
You already fit the description of someone who needs help. But not from me, a shrink maybe...

pisceangirl
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 173
Joined: Fri, 06 Sep 2013

Postby pisceangirl » Sat, 23 Nov 2013 1:17 pm

Use Google- no seriously :D

I am currently exploring mentoring opportunities to work with children and teens.

Here's a few links-

http://www.touch.org.sg/volunteer

http://www.sgcares.org/public/other/SGCares_P_Home.aspx

katkiya
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat, 29 Dec 2012

Postby katkiya » Sat, 23 Nov 2013 7:47 pm

There is Willing Hearts and A packet of rice that I know.

BPhereinSG
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed, 06 Nov 2013
Location: East Coast

Hi

Postby BPhereinSG » Sat, 23 Nov 2013 8:50 pm

Thanks Katkiya. I have already registered with Willinghearts (another friend recommended the same). Awaiting a response.

Girl_Next_Door
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 616
Joined: Thu, 28 Aug 2008

Postby Girl_Next_Door » Mon, 25 Nov 2013 9:41 am

The one I do is Redhill Food Distribution. Every Sat, they distributes food to elderly people around Redhill area. You don't really have to register, simply show up, help to distribute or deliver the food to the elderly, and leave once you are done. You can find them on Facebook as well. From time to time, they will also post for volunteers to bring the elderly around, and you can help out on the ad-hoc events if the timing fits your schedule as well.

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Postby JR8 » Mon, 25 Nov 2013 10:36 am

Girl_Next_Door wrote:The one I do is Redhill Food Distribution.


My mother used to do something similar in the UK, 'Meals on wheels'. There the idea was that it might be the only decent cooked meal someone (often elderly, single) might get in a week. But of course the routine social contact was equally important, giving some 'rhythm' to the week.

That was somewhere semi-rural where people could often physically not go to the shops or out. It rather depresses me that such a thing has to exist in a city as well. Perhaps here it's more about poverty than proximity to resources? (And ironically I tend to think living cheek-by-jowl in the city, is lonelier than living in the remote countryside).

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9812
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010

Re: Hi

Postby ecureilx » Mon, 25 Nov 2013 10:57 am

BPhereinSG wrote:Thanks Katkiya. I have already registered with Willinghearts (another friend recommended the same). Awaiting a response.


most if not all Volunteer groups are listed under SG Cares.

Others not listed, but could be sought out for help ..

Red Cross.
Singapore Association of the Visually Handicapped
Society for the Physically Disabled
Handicaps Welfare Association

Oh, I do prefer to contribute to organizations that don't benefit from CommChest .. that's my personal opinion ..

Girl_Next_Door
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 616
Joined: Thu, 28 Aug 2008

Postby Girl_Next_Door » Mon, 25 Nov 2013 11:16 am

JR8 wrote:
Girl_Next_Door wrote:The one I do is Redhill Food Distribution.


My mother used to do something similar in the UK, 'Meals on wheels'. There the idea was that it might be the only decent cooked meal someone (often elderly, single) might get in a week. But of course the routine social contact was equally important, giving some 'rhythm' to the week.

That was somewhere semi-rural where people could often physically not go to the shops or out. It rather depresses me that such a thing has to exist in a city as well. Perhaps here it's more about poverty than proximity to resources? (And ironically I tend to think living cheek-by-jowl in the city, is lonelier than living in the remote countryside).


For this, we don't cook the food. The organization actually purchase the food (many assumed they are donated but its purchased) and distribute to the old folks and unemployed (they have a tight screening process to verify eligibility). The food given is supposed to be enough for them to cook at home for a week (at least 3-4 days) and consist a mixture of canned food, rice, basic vegetables, etc.

It is quite a humbling experience as you won't imagine a modern city like Singapore to have this side.

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9812
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010

Postby ecureilx » Mon, 25 Nov 2013 11:29 am

Girl_Next_Door wrote:It is quite a humbling experience as you won't imagine a modern city like Singapore to have this side.


Just my 2 cents, in Singapore.. those "poor" in Singapore are mostly asset rich but cash poor .. :( :(

BPhereinSG
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed, 06 Nov 2013
Location: East Coast

Thank You

Postby BPhereinSG » Mon, 25 Nov 2013 11:42 am

Thanks to all for your wonderful inputs. I will work on these leads and keep you posted.

Jmyl
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue, 27 May 2014
Location: Soon to be Singapore

Postby Jmyl » Thu, 04 Sep 2014 1:57 pm

Hi BPhereinSG just wondering if you found any volunteer opportunities? I've recently moved here with my partner, and I'm looking to do some volunteering. I've looked at a few of the orgs mentioned in this thread, but would love to hear about your experience if you ended up volunteering :D

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9812
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010

Postby ecureilx » Thu, 04 Sep 2014 2:43 pm

Jmyl wrote:Hi BPhereinSG just wondering if you found any volunteer opportunities? I've recently moved here with my partner, and I'm looking to do some volunteering. I've looked at a few of the orgs mentioned in this thread, but would love to hear about your experience if you ended up volunteering :D


you can look up here.

https://www.sgcares.org

User avatar
nakatago
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8333
Joined: Tue, 01 Sep 2009
Location: Sister Margaret’s School for Wayward Children
Contact:

Postby nakatago » Thu, 04 Sep 2014 2:47 pm

ecureilx wrote:
Jmyl wrote:Hi BPhereinSG just wondering if you found any volunteer opportunities? I've recently moved here with my partner, and I'm looking to do some volunteering. I've looked at a few of the orgs mentioned in this thread, but would love to hear about your experience if you ended up volunteering :D


you can look up here.

https://www.sgcares.org


Just to emphasize, it's SG Cares, not SG SCares. :wink:


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “30's Club”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests