Singapore Expats

Chances for PR appeal

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
pchandrasekar

Chances for PR appeal

Post by pchandrasekar » Wed, 20 Nov 2013 5:05 pm

Hi,

I am an Indian age 27. I did my undergraduate in India and master of science in NTU singapore. Working in IT industry for last 3 years and 4 months in singapore. My PR got rejected recent and its second time I applied. After I applied I have changed my Pass from EP to PEP and changed the job with 20% hike. By the time I applied for PR my wife was doing UG from NTU and now she graduated. I applied PR only for myself. Is there any chances for success if I appeal now. Thanks

bloodhound123
Regular
Regular

Post by bloodhound123 » Wed, 20 Nov 2013 6:37 pm

Did you inform ICA about your change in employment and the move from EP->PEP when you application was being processed? Did you get our PEP before Dec 2012 or after that? if you are on a PEP under the new rules you might try appealing but personally I don't think it will make a difference.

Weren't you given a PR after you completed your MS from NTU? Based on work ex you would have completed your MS sometime around 2008-2009. Getting PRs back then was pretty easy ( esp for Indians ) and it is the exact opposite now.

movingtospore
Reporter
Reporter

Post by movingtospore » Thu, 21 Nov 2013 10:46 am

I am really sorry but the anecdotal evidence going round is that Singapore doesn't like Indians these days.

If you are a highly skilled graduate, which is seems you are - you might want to look for greener pastures. Canada, US, Australia...

Sorry not very nice advice and not fair but unfortunately seems to be the way it is these days.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 21 Nov 2013 12:15 pm

Additionally, if you were sent a letter while doing your MS and you didn't take it up at the time of offer, everybody I know that did that, have been rejected at a later date when they did apply (their circumstances or thoughts may have changed). Which sounds like a case of sour grapes on the Gahmen's side but it's their ball park and their ball. :-|
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

pchandrasekar

Post by pchandrasekar » Thu, 21 Nov 2013 4:11 pm

bloodhound123 wrote:Did you inform ICA about your change in employment and the move from EP->PEP when you application was being processed? Did you get our PEP before Dec 2012 or after that? if you are on a PEP under the new rules you might try appealing but personally I don't think it will make a difference.

Weren't you given a PR after you completed your MS from NTU? Based on work ex you would have completed your MS sometime around 2008-2009. Getting PRs back then was pretty easy ( esp for Indians ) and it is the exact opposite now.

Thanks for the kind reply. I have not informed about the change in pass to ICA and I have got my PEP just before the new policy. I have not applied by the time I finished my masters i think I missed good chance. I just sent my appeal. I know the chance is less than 1%. Just a try.

pchandrasekar

Post by pchandrasekar » Thu, 21 Nov 2013 4:17 pm

movingtospore wrote:I am really sorry but the anecdotal evidence going round is that Singapore doesn't like Indians these days.

If you are a highly skilled graduate, which is seems you are - you might want to look for greener pastures. Canada, US, Australia...

Sorry not very nice advice and not fair but unfortunately seems to be the way it is these days.
Hi Thanks a lot for your reply and I appreciate your suggestion. If just for the money then I can move to US or Australia but I do not really give much importance to it. I feel Singapore is very secure which made me to apply for PR. Just appealed.. I know the chances are really low...

pchandrasekar

Post by pchandrasekar » Thu, 21 Nov 2013 4:21 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Additionally, if you were sent a letter while doing your MS and you didn't take it up at the time of offer, everybody I know that did that, have been rejected at a later date when they did apply (their circumstances or thoughts may have changed). Which sounds like a case of sour grapes on the Gahmen's side but it's their ball park and their ball. :-|
During my masters, upto my knowledge I have not received any letters.. bad luck...

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Thu, 21 Nov 2013 6:12 pm

pchandrasekar wrote:
movingtospore wrote:I am really sorry but the anecdotal evidence going round is that Singapore doesn't like Indians these days.

Hi Thanks a lot for your reply and I appreciate your suggestion. If just for the money then I can move to US or Australia but I do not really give much importance to it. I feel Singapore is very secure which made me to apply for PR. Just appealed.. I know the chances are really low...
It doesn't have to just for money. Both Australia and US don't have racial profiling like Singapore has. My cousin had gone to Sydney about 5 years ago, around same time I came to Singapore. My PR application got rejected after they held it on for 10 months and asked me documents about additional family members. My cousin applied this year as soon as he got married for him and his wife and he is an Australian PR now with same benefits as a citizen.

I wish I has invested my last 5 years in Australia or UK. But now, I also like you have got used to Singapore and too risk averse to move to another country at this stage of life. But I guess, I have to do it soon rather than later.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 21 Nov 2013 10:52 pm

US don't have racial profiling like Singapore has.
Thanks for the belly laugh this evening. Surely you jest! You cannot have been serious with a statement like that.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

bloodhound123
Regular
Regular

Post by bloodhound123 » Thu, 21 Nov 2013 11:46 pm

SMS - Isn't the PR criteria in the US based on a system wherein you satisfy a prescribed set of criteria and you get green card after a X number of years? ( depending upon the category under which you apply - Eb1, Eb2, Eb3 ...). Or does the USCIS too have a blackbox policy like SG.

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Fri, 22 Nov 2013 2:03 am

bloodhound123 wrote:SMS - Isn't the PR criteria in the US based on a system wherein you satisfy a prescribed set of criteria and you get green card after a X number of years? ( depending upon the category under which you apply - Eb1, Eb2, Eb3 ...). Or does the USCIS too have a blackbox policy like SG.
Quotas are set by country and region. Hard ethnic quotas were in place until 1965 which meant that virtually no Asians could immigrate.

Immigration policy is actually quite complicated.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Immigratio ... ted_States

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Fri, 22 Nov 2013 8:21 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
US don't have racial profiling like Singapore has.
Thanks for the belly laugh this evening. Surely you jest! You cannot have been serious with a statement like that.
Have a look at the wikipedia link that SE has shared. There is a table called "Inflow of New Legal Permanent Residents, Top Five Sending Countries, 2012"

Mexico 146,406 Americas 407,172
China 81,784 Asia 429,599
India 66,434 Africa 107,241
Philippines 57,327 Europe 81,671
Dominican Republic 41,566 All Immigrants 1,031,631

Looking at those numbers, I think that is very fair. Indians are 3rd largest group of Immigrants in that list.

But I do understand that even though its a much more fairer system, immigrating into the US is not easy. Also they have restrictions on spouse working, if you go on certain visas etc and its bloody far from India. My choice hence has never been US or Canada for immigration. Apart from Singapore, it will be Australia or UK.