Singapore Expats Forum

Renouncing Singapore Citizenship - Urgent help me!

A moderated forum for serious discussions only.
therat
Reporter
Reporter

Postby therat » Thu, 21 Nov 2013 9:25 am

quitter wrote:
Mad Scientist wrote:You cannot do Uni then do NS period. Be it by posing a bond or not.. Overseas or otherwise.

Not entirely true, personally know a couple of guys who were able to complete Uni then go back to do NS. I believe they said something about being born at the end of the year so they were allowed to complete Uni first. This was back in late 90s early 2000s so govt may have closed the loop hole since.

The famous topic is Dr Patrick Tan, son of Tony Tan , president of Singapore.

This was brought up during president election during 2011.
Patrick Tan continued his NS(after 12 Years NS Disruption) as a defence medical scientist after he graduating from Stanford with a joint medical degree and PhD in 2000.
Tony Tan was Minister for Defence (1995-2003)

I recall watching from news, Defense minister mention this plan has no longer exist

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Postby Mad Scientist » Thu, 21 Nov 2013 12:33 pm

therat wrote:
quitter wrote:
Mad Scientist wrote:You cannot do Uni then do NS period. Be it by posing a bond or not.. Overseas or otherwise.

Not entirely true, personally know a couple of guys who were able to complete Uni then go back to do NS. I believe they said something about being born at the end of the year so they were allowed to complete Uni first. This was back in late 90s early 2000s so govt may have closed the loop hole since.

Patrick Tan continued his NS(after 12 Years NS Disruption) as a defence medical scientist after he graduating from Stanford with a joint medical degree and PhD in 2000.

I recall watching from news, Defense minister mention this plan has no longer exist

@therat and PNGMK: This guy signed up for the Armed Force I believe. No way even if you are studying medical. You complete three quarter of your NS then do your medical. You can only disrupt if you signed up.
If you wish to do Uni then NS no way !! I will be the first one to jump into the queue. Been there and done that. All of this disruption is based on your served first then disrupt not the other way around DO UNI then NS.
There is a BIG Difference between Deferment and Disruption.
Please tell me that I am wrong on this
@Quitter: Please do not talk about then. let's tackle this based on current situation
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

Hannieroo
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Hannieroo » Thu, 21 Nov 2013 6:21 pm

Zzm is extremely sensible. Go for the option that keeps the most doors open.

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Postby Mad Scientist » Fri, 22 Nov 2013 12:56 am

Hannieroo wrote:Zzm is extremely sensible. Go for the option that keeps the most doors open.

There is a cut off date if you renounce US Citizenship and wanting to regain it back. From memory is 27.
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

GreatScientist

Postby GreatScientist » Fri, 22 Nov 2013 3:55 am

Mad Scientist wrote:
therat wrote:
quitter wrote:

@therat and PNGMK: This guy signed up for the Armed Force I believe. No way even if you are studying medical. You complete three quarter of your NS then do your medical. You can only disrupt if you signed up.
If you wish to do Uni then NS no way !! I will be the first one to jump into the queue. Been there and done that. All of this disruption is based on your served first then disrupt not the other way around DO UNI then NS.
@Quitter: Please do not talk about then. let's tackle this based on current situation

MS, I think you may be wrong on this, I am aware NS Deferment is still possible. Just last month National swimmer, Joseph Schooling granted deferment from National Service to train full-time for the 2016 Olympics and he now enroll his undergrad schooling at Uni of Texas. This is a rare deferment for a sportsman as it is usually granted only to those who qualify for admission to the National University of Singapore (NUS) Medical School, and Public Service Commission (PSC) scholarship holders.
Early this year ST reported At 19, Terry Gani is the youngest student from the National University of Singapore (NUS) to complete an engineering degree.The Singaporean joined NUS fresh out of the NUS High School of Mathematics and Science at age 16 while others his age were taking the O-level examination.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 22 Nov 2013 6:55 am

GreatScientist wrote:
Mad Scientist wrote:
therat wrote:
quitter wrote:

MS, I think you may be wrong on this, I am aware NS Deferment is still possible. Just last month National swimmer, Joseph Schooling granted deferment from National Service to train full-time for the 2016 Olympics and he now enroll his undergrad schooling at Uni of Texas. This is a rare deferment for a sportsman as it is usually granted only to those who qualify for admission to the National University of Singapore (NUS) Medical School, and Public Service Commission (PSC) scholarship holders.
Early this year ST reported At 19, Terry Gani is the youngest student from the National University of Singapore (NUS) to complete an engineering degree.The Singaporean joined NUS fresh out of the NUS High School of Mathematics and Science at age 16 while others his age were taking the O-level examination.

GS, so what you are sayin' is that deferment is the norm then? Or those who have something that the Government wants or can find a benefit for do so, will then make, in your own words, "an exception for"? See, what we tell here is what is likely to happen, not if one just MIGHT have something that could benefit the Government more than NS would. That's why it makes such news when it does happen. Get Real, dude.

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Postby Mad Scientist » Fri, 22 Nov 2013 1:07 pm

I can give you countless person/s that I have encountered from here and elsewhere . Back when I was working for the Gahmen till recently. From nano scientist to atomic nuclear physicist. Most of them very qualified in their field and almost all are overseas grads from top 20 Unis.
There was even one guy here whom met LHL for deferment when he was visiting MIT. Even that was given literally the "finger".
Back in the 70's and 80's yes it common to get a deferment if you are doing degree locally . Most of us just get a one year disruption after serving NS to cover recruit to OCS training. We came back to finish our NS after getting degree. For those that is on President Scholar too and those that signed up to be a regulars. My former CO Ho Sun Yee a Stanford graduate wanted to do PHD but was denied until he finished his NS obligation . Not sure what happen to that. Even MP sons are not allowed .
Your examples are few and far in between. The norm is "it ain't gonna happen"

Rahil Kapour

Postby Rahil Kapour » Mon, 25 Nov 2013 11:30 pm

MS - thanks for your input. U r the only one speaking from knowledge while rest of responses seems to be guessing. Please tell me if Uni is not possible b4 NS then do you think I shd try to renounce now ie. option 2, or go for option 3. Will greatly appreciate your elaborating on the consequences / pros & cons. Rgds, RK

beppi
Manager
Manager

Postby beppi » Tue, 26 Nov 2013 3:35 am

You seem to still not understand, therefore I speak LOUDLY:
THERE IS NO WAY TO RENOUNCE YOUR Singapore CITIZENSHIP BEFORE YOU SERVED NS.
THERE IS NO LEGAL WAY TO AVOID NS FOR YOU - BY JUST LEAVING YOU'LL BECOME CRIMINAL AND WILL FACE JAIL IF YOU EVER RETURN TO Singapore.

PNGMK
Governor
Governor

Postby PNGMK » Tue, 26 Nov 2013 9:47 am

Mad Scientist wrote:I can give you countless person/s that I have encountered from here and elsewhere . Back when I was working for the Gahmen till recently. From nano scientist to atomic nuclear physicist. Most of them very qualified in their field and almost all are overseas grads from top 20 Unis.
There was even one guy here whom met LHL for deferment when he was visiting MIT. Even that was given literally the "finger".
Back in the 70's and 80's yes it common to get a deferment if you are doing degree locally . Most of us just get a one year disruption after serving NS to cover recruit to OCS training. We came back to finish our NS after getting degree. For those that is on President Scholar too and those that signed up to be a regulars. My former CO Ho Sun Yee a Stanford graduate wanted to do PHD but was denied until he finished his NS obligation . Not sure what happen to that. Even MP sons are not allowed .

And this is why Singapore is destroying it's men..... The period in the late teens to early twenties is when men are often at their best academically and this stupid gahmen makes them walk around in circles while the freaking women get ahead in their careers instead of having babies.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 26 Nov 2013 10:00 am

PNGMK wrote:And this is why Singapore is destroying it's men..... The period in the late teens to early twenties is when men are often at their best academically and this stupid gahmen makes them walk around in circles while the freaking women get ahead in their careers instead of having babies.

This is what I cannot understand. The thought process that creates this scenario. During the 10 years of the VN saga in the US from 1963 to 1973, huge chunks of the male population were drafted into the military forces for a minimum of two years. We never had any problem with the "girls" getting ahead of us in the commercial world. The only difference I really see is that we got married earlier back then after we came home from active duty and then we knocked our wives up, thereby getting them temporarily out of the labour market to raise babies for a year or two before they returned to the labour force. Therefore, this seems to be a case of the males here no longer wear the pants and have lost their cojones as well, which would explain the low TFR here (3rd lowest in the world). :-|

PNGMK
Governor
Governor

Postby PNGMK » Tue, 26 Nov 2013 10:08 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
PNGMK wrote:And this is why Singapore is destroying it's men..... The period in the late teens to early twenties is when men are often at their best academically and this stupid gahmen makes them walk around in circles while the freaking women get ahead in their careers instead of having babies.

This is what I cannot understand. The thought process that creates this scenario. During the 10 years of the VN saga in the US from 1963 to 1973, huge chunks of the male population were drafted into the military forces for a minimum of two years. We never had any problem with the "girls" getting ahead of us in the commercial world. The only difference I really see is that we got married earlier back then after we came home from active duty and then we knocked our wives up, thereby getting them temporarily out of the labour market to raise babies for a year or two before they returned to the labour force. Therefore, this seems to be a case of the males here no longer wear the pants and have lost their cojones as well, which would explain the low TFR here (3rd lowest in the world). :-|

1. Perhaps is VN had gone on for 40 years (as NS has) you'd see an effect.

2. There's no question Singapore is hurting it's SC men with this policy when it comes to their careers and academic scores in my mind. Why do they have to import so many scientists and engineers if not? They'll never win a nobel prize because most nobel prizes are won by men and those men spent their best years in a sentry house instead of in a university.

3. I have a son; I know he has to do NS. It just pisses me off that his little bitchy female class mates will get the best places in Uni and the best jobs - shit they already got the best places in high school last week because of their better PSLE scores (girls always do better in the modern school system than boys).

Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Postby Barnsley » Tue, 26 Nov 2013 10:35 am

PNGMK wrote:
Mad Scientist wrote:I can give you countless person/s that I have encountered from here and elsewhere . Back when I was working for the Gahmen till recently. From nano scientist to atomic nuclear physicist. Most of them very qualified in their field and almost all are overseas grads from top 20 Unis.

And this is why Singapore is destroying it's men..... The period in the late teens to early twenties is when men are often at their best academically and this stupid gahmen makes them walk around in circles while the freaking women get ahead in their careers instead of having babies.

So how do you explain the big push in the UK for gap years and such like....

That doesn't appear to have folk any harm.

I have friends who worked for 3 or 4 years before going to University and they are flying pretty high as well.

As we are not all born at the same time, someone is always going to be ahead of you. I just dont see the gripe in this constant banging on about who is and who isnt ahead.
Life is short, paddle harder!!

Strong Eagle

Postby Strong Eagle » Tue, 26 Nov 2013 11:30 am

PNGMK wrote:

Two years is destroying the Singaporean men? If anything, I'd think two years of military service would develop men far better to take on the rigors of starting one's own business or climbing the ladder in a MNC. Discipline. Maturity. Networking.

And the argument that they are "behind" the women rings hollow. Every year there is a new class of graduates... the age differential argument is meaningless. Companies hire at all ages and skills. 22 or 24 or 26 or 28 for a junior position is meaningless.

bgd
Editor
Editor

Postby bgd » Tue, 26 Nov 2013 11:36 am

You really think so?

I have some involvement in graduate recruitment. The young guys that have been through NS generally shine (there is a pretty stiff selection process before they get to me). They show more maturity, a bit more life experience and many have already had leadership roles. Compare that to someone younger, with only education behind them and it's usually an easy choice. I’m not looking for academic qualifications, that’s already assumed. I want someone who will fit into my organization, someone with initiative, a personality, etc. The Sg education system does turn out clones, it’s my job to see beyond that and I reckon NS helps in many cases.