Singapore Expats

West Australia = efficient government services

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Wed, 20 Nov 2013 12:33 pm

If you live in a HDB, then for sure, you will find one not very far from you. Every HDB I have lived, I have see a post box in my street or a parallel/perpendicular street.

PrimroseHill
Chatter
Chatter

Post by PrimroseHill » Wed, 20 Nov 2013 1:53 pm

JR8, Whilst we are both from the UK, I do understand and sympathies. Stamps are sold everywhere and post boxes are everywhere. If I used 1st class stamp and posted it before 5.30pm it will get there before 2pm (yes, it is 2pm now) the next day. No more second round of postal deliveries. Royal Mail, is probably the best postal services in the world, however, it is now private, how long it will be before it is like any other postal services?
However, saying that, I haven't found posting letters, buying stamps or post boxes that difficult to find. At least for me, anyways.
I always, I learnt this from living in the UK always to have some books of stamps in the drawers at work. If it is a time critical post, I will use company's FEDEX and I pay for it myself. If I use the company's FEDEX, it will cost me $5-$8, if I use FEDEX a personal one, then I pay $30-$40. And yes, I have gotten permission from the office/my bosses to do that and they are fine with it. And I would scan and email a copy of the legal documents to my lawyers with the originals to follow in the mail.
Recently, I had some books delivered to my home address rather than the office, books from Amazon. No one was at home, of course and of course, it didnt fit into the mail box. Mr. Postie called me and told me where he has left that Amazon box, now, isn't that great service. Mr. Royal Mail Postie, these days, rings the door bell hardly waits before shoving a you are at home card. Then it is either collect at post office or sit on the 08545 number for 20mins to get the parcel redelivered

Hannieroo
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Hannieroo » Wed, 20 Nov 2013 6:04 pm

I got treatment.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Wed, 20 Nov 2013 10:23 pm

Hannieroo wrote:I got treatment.
Did it work?

Mi Amigo
Manager
Manager

Post by Mi Amigo » Thu, 21 Nov 2013 9:11 am

JR8 wrote:An added irony is that I have a post-box 50 metres away, in front of a 24hr convenience store, but no way to buy stamps within a mile :)
Hey JR8, maybe next time you could just print your own stamps, like this guy:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstop ... -free.html

(Note: this is not a serious suggestion, in case anyone 'official' is reading this.)
Be careful what you wish for

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Thu, 21 Nov 2013 9:21 am

Mi Amigo wrote: Hey JR8, maybe next time you could just print your own stamps, like this guy:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstop ... -free.html
I saw that article, brilliant! :) It's like breaking a spell, an assumed historic convention.

'Beard Post' hehehe....

Mi Amigo
Manager
Manager

Post by Mi Amigo » Thu, 21 Nov 2013 9:28 am

My favourites were the ones featuring Emile Gitane (cigarrette pioneer?) and Bib Dolan (dyslexic musician?).

Be careful what you wish for

movingtospore
Reporter
Reporter

Post by movingtospore » Thu, 21 Nov 2013 10:12 am

Strong Eagle wrote:
JR8 wrote:Yesterday, I had to go out and buy stamps for an important letter back home. I knew what it weighed, and hence what postage I needed.

But the PO is not open on Saturday pm, or Sunday, nor does it have a stamp vending machine. Shops apparently don't sell stamps either.

So I had to find a 'super-efficient' SAM machine, which took another 15 minutes online to locate. I then went there, only to find it doesn't take coins or banknotes.

So I had to limp perhaps a mile home, to get a bankcard, to hobble back to the shopping centre and machine, to simply buy a stamp. Then additional roving to find a post-box.

And this is progress?
Sounds like a lot or whinging over your own failure to plan and research.
Ah, come on, one shouldn't have to research how to buy a stamp.

Singapore is actually pretty good about being able to buy most things at the corner store...top up your bus pass etc - must be some kind of breakdown between their post office and the rest of the world. Singpost is super annoying. Terrible hours, almost no mail(post) boxes around town..it's puzzling.