Singapore Expats

West Australia = efficient government services

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
PNGMK
Answers: 10

West Australia = efficient government services

Post by PNGMK » Mon, 18 Nov 2013 12:40 pm

Today I;

1. Obtained a new marriage certificate. Total time taken: 14 minutes.

2. Made a police report about a stolen drivers license. Total time on the phone: 9 minutes.

3. Went to the DOT, lined up and got a new D/L organised. Total time in buidling 22 minutes.

Singapore says it's efficient but my old home state W.A. really rocks it when it comes to public service and I will say this; I'm bloody surprised!

Also - polite, pleasant service the whole time. No "blary FT" grumbling under the breath.

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Mon, 18 Nov 2013 12:45 pm

Singapore doesnt compete with Australia. It competes with Malaysia, Indonesia, Vietnam and the likes :)

noskich
Regular
Regular

Post by noskich » Mon, 18 Nov 2013 1:04 pm

Extreme cherrypicking I say. Compare the immigration departments. I`ve had colleagues at work who`ve had been waiting for their PR to be processed for no less than 4-5 years! I don`t have much experience with the public services, but commercial ones are rubish. Standard waiting time for someone to pick up is longer than 20 minutes (eg. Internet provider, flight company, electricity, gas...) and when they do pick up eventually they are not of much use unfortunately.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Mon, 18 Nov 2013 1:05 pm

Yesterday, I had to go out and buy stamps for an important letter back home. I knew what it weighed, and hence what postage I needed.

But the PO is not open on Saturday pm, or Sunday, nor does it have a stamp vending machine. Shops apparently don't sell stamps either.

So I had to find a 'super-efficient' SAM machine, which took another 15 minutes online to locate. I then went there, only to find it doesn't take coins or banknotes.

So I had to limp perhaps a mile home, to get a bankcard, to hobble back to the shopping centre and machine, to simply buy a stamp. Then additional roving to find a post-box.

And this is progress?

noskich
Regular
Regular

Post by noskich » Mon, 18 Nov 2013 1:16 pm

People just don`t send letters anymore. With email there are few uses for a letter.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Mon, 18 Nov 2013 1:22 pm

Legal issues.

E-mail doesn't cut it when you need a signed deed.

It's quite funny being in a place that professes to be first world, where you can't buy a stamp (without about 2hrs effort).

noskich
Regular
Regular

Post by noskich » Mon, 18 Nov 2013 1:32 pm

JR8 wrote:Legal issues.

E-mail doesn't cut it when you need a signed deed.

It's quite funny being in a place that professes to be first world, where you can't buy a stamp (without about 2hrs effort).
I don`t see how is that related to the first world standards.
If it is weekend and posts are closed where else are you supposed to buy the stamps? I can`t think of a place off the top of my head in Australia also.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Mon, 18 Nov 2013 1:47 pm

Well, in many countries post offices have stamp vending machines outside.

Or, convenience stores like 7-11( sell stamps).

Or, Post Offices open during hours when most people need their service.

In Europe, you can buy stamps from almost any convenience store.

----

I ask you, why is it so hard to buy stamps here?

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Mon, 18 Nov 2013 1:55 pm

JR8 wrote:Yesterday, I had to go out and buy stamps for an important letter back home. I knew what it weighed, and hence what postage I needed.

But the PO is not open on Saturday pm, or Sunday, nor does it have a stamp vending machine. Shops apparently don't sell stamps either.

So I had to find a 'super-efficient' SAM machine, which took another 15 minutes online to locate. I then went there, only to find it doesn't take coins or banknotes.

So I had to limp perhaps a mile home, to get a bankcard, to hobble back to the shopping centre and machine, to simply buy a stamp. Then additional roving to find a post-box.

And this is progress?
Sounds like a lot or whinging over your own failure to plan and research.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Mon, 18 Nov 2013 2:04 pm

JR8 wrote: I ask you, why is it so hard to buy stamps here?
It's not, if you try to do it during normal business hours, Saturday morning, and/or carry a NETS card like most of the population does. You said as much in your post.

I also am not sure why your Axis/SAMS machine was so far away. I find them all over the place in convenient enough spots.

bgd
Manager
Manager

Post by bgd » Mon, 18 Nov 2013 2:29 pm

JR8 wrote:
Not recently, but I have bought stamps from shops here. Last time was from a little news agent at Changi Business Park. Since closed.

PrimroseHill
Chatter
Chatter

Post by PrimroseHill » Mon, 18 Nov 2013 2:40 pm

Quite a few of my local shops sells stamps.
Look some Post Office are even open on Sundays.
http://www.street-directory.com/singpos ... gories=POL

Wd40
Director
Director

Post by Wd40 » Mon, 18 Nov 2013 3:01 pm

bgd wrote:
JR8 wrote:
Not recently, but I have bought stamps from shops here. Last time was from a little news agent at Changi Business Park. Since closed.
Yeah, I knew that place. It used to be Signature building and they were a big boon to all the employees working in Signature building.

Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Post by Barnsley » Mon, 18 Nov 2013 3:22 pm

Wd40 wrote:
bgd wrote:
JR8 wrote:
Yeah, I knew that place. It used to be Signature building and they were a big boon to all the employees working in Signature building.
Apparently the Owners tripled the rent on them so they shut up shop.

My mate used to work there for Lucasarts.
Life is short, paddle harder!!

Wd40
Director
Director

Post by Wd40 » Mon, 18 Nov 2013 3:51 pm

Barnsley wrote:
Wd40 wrote:
bgd wrote: Not recently, but I have bought stamps from shops here. Last time was from a little news agent at Changi Business Park. Since closed.
Apparently the Owners tripled the rent on them so they shut up shop.

My mate used to work there for Lucasarts.
Triple! wow! Anyways, our bank has also moved out of Signature since last april and we are in One Changi City new building now. I wonder if anyone has taken up the floors that we had vacated.

Edit: Apparently not. From this link mapletree are having trouble finding replacement. I love this. I want these crazy rents to crash!

http://sg.finance.yahoo.com/news/maplet ... 00219.html

The food court in signature building had been recently renovated. I feel sorry for the vendors. I am sure, they are bleeding through their noses due to loss of business.