Singapore Expats

Ipad screen shattered.

Discuss about computers & Internet. Including mobile phones, home appliances & other gadgets. Read about Windows security risks or virus updates.
Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Ipad screen shattered.

Post by Wd40 » Sun, 17 Nov 2013 11:49 pm

Yeah, its a bad day. My daughter dropped the ipad from about 2 ft height and it came crashing down to the ground face down. I was under the impression that it is gorilla glass, but no. The screen was completely shattered into bits.

Warranty is already over and its the ipad 3. Did some googling and found that going to Apple care is waste as they charge about 1/2 the price of the ipad for the screen replacement.

Then googled for some 3rd party providers and called a couple of them. The lowest quote I got was $120 and highest about $190.

Finally decided, best thing to do is head straight to the mecca of all computer problems, Sim Lim Square. Sunday evening and SLS is so close to little India so we decided to hit 2 birds with 1 stone. Go to SLS and have dinner in Little India.

I always knew that at SLS cheapest price is in the topmost floors. I enquired in the 1st floor price is $140. Then went straight to 5th floor. 1st shop I asked $120. Next shop I asked $80. Ok done. I agreed. It took about 45 mins and he replaced the screen for me. So $80 damage just because of a bit of carelessness, letting me daughter play with the ipad without supervision :(

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Mon, 18 Nov 2013 5:54 am

It is gorilla glass, but that doesn't mean it's shatter-proof. I've found (and I've dropped iphones dozens of times over the years, and purchased four or five screens myself) if the device drops so the glass is aiming down perfectly flat and the ground isn't also perfectly flat (say a tiny pebble) you're f-cked.

Apple Care wouldn't help you with this since the device is too old. If you do have Apple Care, it's worth the cost if you're clumsy like me and if you don't want a 3rd-party chinese imitation screen put back on. Real Apple screens are pricey. At $80 you got a fake. It's probably fine though, I usually go with the fakes too.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Mon, 18 Nov 2013 7:20 am

The only problem is the $80 screen may be even less gorilla but you have no choice anyway. To consider:

many types around.

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Mon, 18 Nov 2013 8:58 am

Thanks guys. Yeah, I suspected its fake even though the shop guy who did it for me told me its OEM. When I googled, I noticed the price of the original one is $190. I dont think its worth it considering that the ipad is already 1 and 1/2 years old and I am not sure how much more of life is left in it. I am pretty happy that its working back again for $80 :)

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Mon, 18 Nov 2013 9:27 am

zzm9980 wrote:It is gorilla glass, but that doesn't mean it's shatter-proof.
Gorilla Glass is "Scratch Resistant" a-la Water Resistant vs Water Proof ;)

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Mon, 18 Nov 2013 2:07 pm

ecureilx wrote:
zzm9980 wrote:It is gorilla glass, but that doesn't mean it's shatter-proof.
Gorilla Glass is "Scratch Resistant" a-la Water Resistant vs Water Proof ;)
Yes, I understand the difference. :)

I hope Apple starts making Sapphire crystal displays. Those will be shatter-proof. Although, I still managed to knock a very small chip out of my watch.

http://www.thestreet.com/story/12095184 ... ogies.html

bgd
Manager
Manager

Post by bgd » Mon, 18 Nov 2013 2:45 pm

I would second the case idea.

I ended up getting a water proof case for my iPhone 4, hoping a more bulky phone will be harder to fall out of my pocket. It was garish purple but the only one they had left so what to do lah.

The other night the phone got a solid drenching in beer and survived. A few weeks back a young lady joined our table because she thought she had come across her first (garish purple) 5c. You never know where a case might take you. :)

While I have yet to test it I guess it will reduce the odds of damage in a fall.