Tourist Attractions

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
Viclyh83

Tourist Attractions

Post by Viclyh83 » Sun, 17 Nov 2013 12:44 am

Anyone out there been to any of Singapore tourist attractions yet?

livingontheedge
Chatter
Chatter

Post by livingontheedge » Sun, 17 Nov 2013 3:57 am

Yeah, went to Changi Airport.

Viclyh83

Post by Viclyh83 » Sun, 17 Nov 2013 10:02 pm

Hi Pal,

Which country are you from.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 10

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 17 Nov 2013 10:51 pm

Why would that matter?

The problem with going to Singapore's tourist attractions is that they are full of Singaporeans instead of tourists, therefore the "tourist" attraction is missing. It's just like going to any major shopping center, with locals pushing and shoving and bumping into each other because they are sotonging around aimlessly with their noses buried in their electronic toys 24/7, thereby making it work to try to enjoy any attraction here.

As you are a Singaporean, why do you ask?
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sun, 17 Nov 2013 11:25 pm

Tend to agree. I'd avoid SG tourist attractions like the plague. In fact I do.

I'd rather go on a hike around MacRitchie than do almost *any* 'tourist attraction'.

When you're walking around NTUC looking for cans of chopped tomatoes or what ever, and there's an entourage of 6 bukits (PRCs) tagging on your shoulder .... heavens knows what it's like at any of the $250/ticket theme parks, it must be ghastly.

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Mon, 18 Nov 2013 10:31 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:The problem with going to Singapore's tourist attractions is that they are full of Singaporeans instead of tourists, therefore the "tourist" attraction is missing.
I'm sorry gramps but I have to disagree with you on that bit.

The quintessential Singaporean tourist sites are obviously packed with tourists more than Singaporeans. In fact, even Singaporeans themselves loathe to be jam-packed with foreign tourists in those places in the first place (doesn't matter if it has something to do with their xenophobic brand or not).

Merlion, Singapore Flyer, Padang, Little India, Chinatown, (all) Gardens, etc are always filled with foreign tourists herded like sheep following the shepherd boys' and girls' tour flags. And not to mention, droves of tour buses lining up the roads closest to these places. And yeah, the hogging too.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 18 Nov 2013 12:14 pm

I must pick the wrong time to go then..... :cry:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Wd40
Director
Director

Post by Wd40 » Mon, 18 Nov 2013 12:30 pm

the lynx wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:The problem with going to Singapore's tourist attractions is that they are full of Singaporeans instead of tourists, therefore the "tourist" attraction is missing.

The quintessential Singaporean tourist sites are obviously packed with tourists more than Singaporeans. In fact, even Singaporeans themselves loathe to be jam-packed with foreign tourists in those places in the first place (doesn't matter if it has something to do with their xenophobic brand or not).

Merlion, Singapore Flyer, Padang, Little India, Chinatown, (all) Gardens, etc are always filled with foreign tourists herded like sheep following the shepherd boys' and girls' tour flags. And not to mention, droves of tour buses lining up the roads closest to these places. And yeah, the hogging too.
I agree, but the real tourist attractions are the Singapore Zoo, Bird Park, Sentosa, Universal Studios and these are always packed with more tourists than Singaporeans.

Want to see places jam packed with Singaporeans? Go to Singapore Expo. I dont understand what the craze is, every month you have a john little sale, metro sale or a robinsons sales and every month there is some or the other PC expo, yet the car park is always jam packed on weekends and parking is not cheap mind you $3.20 1st hr and every hour after that $2. So people come there and spend $5 just on parking and then buy loads of stuff. People stay in pigeon holes and I dont get it, where do they keep all the stuff they buy :???:

Fortan
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Fortan » Mon, 18 Nov 2013 1:47 pm

Wd40 wrote:
the lynx wrote:

I agree, but the real tourist attractions are the Singapore Zoo, Bird Park, Sentosa, Universal Studios and these are always packed with more tourists than Singaporeans.

Want to see places jam packed with Singaporeans? Go to Singapore Expo. I dont understand what the craze is, every month you have a john little sale, metro sale or a robinsons sales and every month there is some or the other PC expo, yet the car park is always jam packed on weekends and parking is not cheap mind you $3.20 1st hr and every hour after that $2. So people come there and spend $5 just on parking and then buy loads of stuff. People stay in pigeon holes and I dont get it, where do they keep all the stuff they buy :???:
Easy answer to that. They don't buy anything. The ooze around sucking up the free aircon....

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 18 Nov 2013 2:19 pm

That and choping all the seats in Starbucks and fastfood joints for the free wifi.

naanwar

Re: Tourist Attractions

Post by naanwar » Tue, 19 Nov 2013 11:49 am

Viclyh83 wrote:Anyone out there been to any of Singapore tourist attractions yet?
yes.

Wd40
Director
Director

Post by Wd40 » Tue, 19 Nov 2013 1:18 pm

Fortan wrote:
Wd40 wrote:
the lynx wrote: I'm sorry gramps but I have to disagree with you on that bit.

Easy answer to that. They don't buy anything. The ooze around sucking up the free aircon....
People do buy. And of all things, pillows. I always see so many of them carying pillows all the time. Wonder why they need so many pillows.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Tue, 19 Nov 2013 1:29 pm

If you want to experience Singapore

- wander the streets of Chinatown
- wander Little India
- Go to Raffles Place around lunchtime, and smell the money
- buy hawker food.

Go and walk from Orchard MRT down Orchard Road to City Hall.... just to feel the modern fakeness and consumerism.

As a short-tripper you likely won't wish to rove further.

Wen_XY

Post by Wen_XY » Fri, 22 Nov 2013 5:06 pm

My partner and I went to Supertree Grove last Friday evening, it was quite scenic :) I took some shots -

edit: ugh! sorry, how do i make the photos fit?

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 22 Nov 2013 5:37 pm

You need to edit the photos to make them no more than 500 pixels wide in some photo editing software before uploading them to your image hosting site. Some image hosting sites allow you to edit photos on their sites. Photobucket is one example. After editing the resolution of the photos, then you paste the new links in your post.