Singapore Expats Forum

lawyer who handles traffic offenses?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

jack79789
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu, 12 Sep 2013
Location: Kent Vale Apartments near NUS

lawyer who handles traffic offenses?

Postby jack79789 » Tue, 12 Nov 2013 5:31 pm

Hi
Does anyone have a recommendation for a lawyer who handles traffic offenses?
Thanks, John
Best, Jack

User avatar
PNGMK
Governor
Governor
Posts: 5633
Joined: Thu, 21 Mar 2013
Location: Sinkapore

Re: lawyer who handles traffic offenses?

Postby PNGMK » Wed, 13 Nov 2013 5:54 am

jack79789 wrote:Hi
Does anyone have a recommendation for a lawyer who handles traffic offenses?
Thanks, John


The question is is worth it....
What sort of offense are we talking about?

Some of the minor ones can be appealed directly with the police in the Ubi Traffic police compound (running red light).

Others like DUI need a whole different approach.

The basis rule of thumb in Singapore is that appealing against a charge and then a conviction in court will simply result in the penalty being doubled.

In my unmarried youth I had a few African girlfriends and they are wonderful women.

jack79789
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu, 12 Sep 2013
Location: Kent Vale Apartments near NUS

Postby jack79789 » Wed, 13 Nov 2013 8:55 am

Hi
Thanks, this is valuable information. I wanted some advice from a lawyer who handles DUI offences.
Best, John
Best, Jack

User avatar
PNGMK
Governor
Governor
Posts: 5633
Joined: Thu, 21 Mar 2013
Location: Sinkapore

Postby PNGMK » Wed, 13 Nov 2013 9:12 am

jack79789 wrote:Hi
Thanks, this is valuable information. I wanted some advice from a lawyer who handles DUI offences.
Best, John


Andrew Hanam might be able to help but will be damn expensive ($10,000 for court representation perhaps with no guarantee of a win).

However it may be worth the cost as a DUI conviction could be very problematic for your future as visas (for the USA/Canada) and work options may become an issue. IMO it's worth trying to fight but there won't be much basis to do so. Try to get a no-conviction recorded judgement (honestly I don't know if that's even possible in Singapore). Bloodhound has a post (sticky) on DUI here somewhere and how it totally screwed his life up (although personally I think he'll be fine).

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Re: lawyer who handles traffic offenses?

Postby JR8 » Wed, 13 Nov 2013 9:30 am

PNGMK wrote:In my unmarried youth I had a few African girlfriends and they are wonderful women.


Wondering how this relates to traffic offenses? :???:
Maybe PNG was guilty of speeding...?

User avatar
PNGMK
Governor
Governor
Posts: 5633
Joined: Thu, 21 Mar 2013
Location: Sinkapore

Re: lawyer who handles traffic offenses?

Postby PNGMK » Wed, 13 Nov 2013 9:34 am

JR8 wrote:
PNGMK wrote:In my unmarried youth I had a few African girlfriends and they are wonderful women.


Wondering how this relates to traffic offenses? :???:
Maybe PNG was guilty of speeding...?


The above was meant to go in the white supremacist post.

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Postby JR8 » Wed, 13 Nov 2013 9:37 am

Ah.... I was referring to 'speeding in the bedroom department'.

:wink:

User avatar
PNGMK
Governor
Governor
Posts: 5633
Joined: Thu, 21 Mar 2013
Location: Sinkapore

Postby PNGMK » Wed, 13 Nov 2013 9:52 am

JR8 wrote:Ah.... I was referring to 'speeding in the bedroom department'.

:wink:


This reminds me of some more youthful boasting in country Western Australia....

Mate 1: How far would you drive for a root? I've driven 500km return for one....

Mate 2: Mate that's nothing. I've driven down to PErth (600km), rolled the car on the way, hit a roo and kept going for a root and it wasn't even a free one!

bloodhound123
Regular
Regular
Posts: 133
Joined: Thu, 16 May 2013

Postby bloodhound123 » Wed, 13 Nov 2013 9:12 pm

PNGMK wrote:
jack79789 wrote:Hi
Thanks, this is valuable information. I wanted some advice from a lawyer who handles DUI offences.
Best, John


Andrew Hanam might be able to help but will be damn expensive ($10,000 for court representation perhaps with no guarantee of a win).

However it may be worth the cost as a DUI conviction could be very problematic for your future as visas (for the USA/Canada) and work options may become an issue. IMO it's worth trying to fight but there won't be much basis to do so. Try to get a no-conviction recorded judgement (honestly I don't know if that's even possible in Singapore). Bloodhound has a post (sticky) on DUI here somewhere and how it totally screwed his life up (although personally I think he'll be fine).


jack79789 - what was your breath alcohol content? There is no point fighting a DUI case if it is a simple DUI ( no accident/no escaping etc ) unlike US where you hire a DUI lawyer and get your sentence reduced to something like reckless driving, speed contest etc. In fact I was told by a cop that fighting it with a lawyer might even piss off the Judge and he might give a higher penalty.

Just go to the court and plead guilty. Hearing happens in traffic court 21 in subordinate courts complex wherein you will be queued up with hundreds of other traffic offenders.

Unless your content is very high ( over twice the limit ) you will be fined along with license disqualifications. I had a DUI early this year with a breath alcohol content of 37. I got a 1500 fine and 1 yr disqualification from all classes. Luckily this is not a criminal offense in SG unless there is a severe accident/very high alcohol content which could result in a deterrence sentence.

OSOD - Even a DUI arrest ( with no conviction ) is enough to cause issues with visas to Canada/US from what I read. Any alcohol abuse related arrest is seen very very strictly by US and Canada. It seems one would be better off getting a visa to these countries with a shoplifting offense than a serious driving conviction like DUI.
Last edited by bloodhound123 on Wed, 13 Nov 2013 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bloodhound123
Regular
Regular
Posts: 133
Joined: Thu, 16 May 2013

Re: lawyer who handles traffic offenses?

Postby bloodhound123 » Wed, 13 Nov 2013 9:22 pm

JR8 wrote:
PNGMK wrote:In my unmarried youth I had a few African girlfriends and they are wonderful women.


Wondering how this relates to traffic offenses? :???:
Maybe PNG was guilty of speeding...?


PNG - you seem to have experimented with all races - Africans, SG Tamils etc etc...

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 35031
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 13 Nov 2013 10:25 pm

Equal opportunity employer, what. Experimented? Why would you consider it an experiment? Most of us look for personality and that has no skin colour at all. You are not biased/prejudiced are you? :-k

bloodhound123
Regular
Regular
Posts: 133
Joined: Thu, 16 May 2013

Postby bloodhound123 » Wed, 13 Nov 2013 10:29 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Equal opportunity employer, what. Experimented? Why would you consider it an experiment? Most of us look for personality and that has no skin colour at all. You are not biased/prejudiced are you? :-k


No, I was just applauding PNG's adventurous ride :wink:

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Postby JR8 » Thu, 14 Nov 2013 12:01 am

Yeah wow I was applauding the a-political ride man.

AnheuserBusch
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun, 06 Oct 2013
Location: St Louis; Tanglin

o

Postby AnheuserBusch » Sat, 16 Nov 2013 9:13 am

you could just walk into one of the law firms and make an inquiry!

User avatar
Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Posts: 3459
Joined: Thu, 03 Dec 2009
Location: TIMBUKTU

Postby Mad Scientist » Sat, 16 Nov 2013 10:32 am

bloodhound123 wrote:jack79789 - what was your breath alcohol content? There is no point fighting a DUI case if it is a simple DUI ( no accident/no escaping etc ) unlike US where you hire a DUI lawyer and get your sentence reduced to something like reckless driving, speed contest etc. In fact I was told by a cop that fighting it with a lawyer might even piss off the Judge and he might give a higher penalty.

Just go to the court and plead guilty. Hearing happens in traffic court 21 in subordinate courts complex wherein you will be queued up with hundreds of other traffic offenders.

Unless your content is very high ( over twice the limit ) you will be fined along with license disqualifications. I had a DUI early this year with a breath alcohol content of 37. I got a 1500 fine and 1 yr disqualification from all classes. Luckily this is not a criminal offense in SG unless there is a severe accident/very high alcohol content which could result in a deterrence sentence.

OSOD - Even a DUI arrest ( with no conviction ) is enough to cause issues with visas to Canada/US from what I read. Any alcohol abuse related arrest is seen very very strictly by US and Canada. It seems one would be better off getting a visa to these countries with a shoplifting offense than a serious driving conviction like DUI.


You wrote like a PRO, !! but if recalled you were pretty #$%^$ back then
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “General Discussions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests