Singapore Expats Forum

Typhoon relief help from Singapore?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

Stevie_W
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 157
Joined: Wed, 29 May 2013

Postby Stevie_W » Tue, 12 Nov 2013 3:33 pm

Barnsley wrote:UK also sending a ship with helicopter and the equipment to turn sea water into drinking water. along with a Hercules C130 for moving equipment and food about.


Excuse my ignorance but what's a Hercules C130?

User avatar
Saint
Director
Director
Posts: 3535
Joined: Thu, 16 Jun 2005
Location: The Juban Stand, Boat Quay
Contact:

Postby Saint » Tue, 12 Nov 2013 3:38 pm

There are a couple of methods of making donations posting on this FB link

https://www.facebook.com/groups/britsabroadsingapore/

AngMoG
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 609
Joined: Wed, 17 Apr 2013

Postby AngMoG » Tue, 12 Nov 2013 3:45 pm

Stevie_W wrote:
Barnsley wrote:UK also sending a ship with helicopter and the equipment to turn sea water into drinking water. along with a Hercules C130 for moving equipment and food about.


Excuse my ignorance but what's a Hercules C130?


http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Hercules+c130

morenangpinay
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 890
Joined: Mon, 02 Mar 2009

Postby morenangpinay » Tue, 12 Nov 2013 4:49 pm

on behalf of the Filipino community thank you to all your government and respective countries for sending aid.

some of your friends, helpers or their friends maybe from the visayas areas and would also need help.

the areas are listed here:http://www.rappler.com/move-ph/issues/disasters/typhoon-yolanda/43350-aftermath-yolanda-what-we-know

relevant hashtags for use:

#ReliefPH – Rescue Coordination
#RescuePH – Urgent Rescue Needed
#SafeNow – Resolved #RescuePH
#FloodPH – Damage Reporting
#TracingPH – Report Missing People
#YolandaPH – Media storm coverage

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Postby JR8 » Tue, 12 Nov 2013 8:50 pm

I was sitting here, trying to find a way to donate a few dollars.

Then I was struck by the thought, that they don't actually need my money do they?

Anything I can do, can or is already be provided by the state.

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34272
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 12 Nov 2013 9:00 pm

They are not prideful. They care not where the money comes from. After all, their coffers are already low due to the recent earthquake. While a couple of buck to you doesn't mean much, to them it's might be the thing that keeps them in hope against overwhelming odds.

User avatar
Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Posts: 3447
Joined: Thu, 03 Dec 2009
Location: TIMBUKTU

Postby Mad Scientist » Wed, 13 Nov 2013 1:02 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
ScoobyDoes wrote:I find it derisory and a little insulting the Singapore government donates a whopping S$50,000 and one rescue team.


I guess they got a few razzberries over that as I see they have now donated an additional 150K to up it to 200K.


OZ dontated AUD 400K and Kiwis donated NZD 2 million
Worse of all China USD 100K
OZ SAR team still in OZ. Kwis USAR already gone to help on the next day
Say alot about rich nations.
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Postby JR8 » Wed, 13 Nov 2013 9:01 am

Saint wrote:There are a couple of methods of making donations posting on this FB link

https://www.facebook.com/groups/britsabroadsingapore/




Thanks Saint.

User avatar
nakatago
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8333
Joined: Tue, 01 Sep 2009
Location: Sister Margaret’s School for Wayward Children
Contact:

Postby nakatago » Wed, 13 Nov 2013 9:51 am

Mad Scientist wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:
ScoobyDoes wrote:I find it derisory and a little insulting the Singapore government donates a whopping S$50,000 and one rescue team.


I guess they got a few razzberries over that as I see they have now donated an additional 150K to up it to 200K.


OZ dontated AUD 400K and Kiwis donated NZD 2 million
Worse of all China USD 100K
OZ SAR team still in OZ. Kwis USAR already gone to help on the next day
Say alot about rich nations.


Oz pledged 10 million...

Anyway, a friend who works in Sony just posted that Sony donated 15 million yen (188K SGD, 150 USD). Then, HSBC and Samsung just donated 1 million USD each. Other companies can be found here: http://bclc.uschamber.com/site-page/typhoon-haiyan-corporate-aid-tracker

Telstra offers free calls to the Philippines right now. Viber rushed a call-to-landline feature so that they can offer it for free to the Philippines to help out.

PrimroseHill
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 368
Joined: Tue, 13 Dec 2011

Postby PrimroseHill » Wed, 13 Nov 2013 10:20 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:They are not prideful. They care not where the money comes from. After all, their coffers are already low due to the recent earthquake. While a couple of buck to you doesn't mean much, to them it's might be the thing that keeps them in hope against overwhelming odds.

true

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9295
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010

Postby ecureilx » Wed, 13 Nov 2013 10:24 am

Mad Scientist wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:
ScoobyDoes wrote:...


..


...


Don't shoot the messenger for saying this.

Singapore is just 4 hours by flight, and may follow the example of Malaysia, who preferred to fly in their own kit in their own planes, than to donate cash which may just disappear.

After all, once the ground situation is clear, it would make sense to fly in direct, than to ship to, say Manila, re-load, then to fly somewhere .. etc. etc.

For those who are not in the know, during the 2004 Tsunami, an estimated 20% of the donation simply never reached the beneficiary .. and another estimated 20% or so was taken by contractors / suppliers who sold inflated priced gear and services ...

Our own sister chapters involved in some relief post 2004 in Sri Lanka and the last Storm in PH were struggling to avoid pay-offs and such, to expedite clearances, permits etc. And some suppliers / service providers who had monopoly on certain stuff suddenly jacked their price by 100% or more.

Add to it, in another project, a local 'chieftain' wanted to get involved, till our project cost ballooned by 300%, the almost all the overrun was to accommodate the wishes of the politico and his 'friends' who wanted to have a 'grand ceremony' .. and plans to entertain the crowd etc, apparently to 'uplift' the mood of the crowd .. till we gave up ..

FYI, Singapore has been providing a lot of non-monetary assistance, without much noise .. from what I know ..


PS: What I am at a loss to understand is, post 2004 Tsunami, Many countries leveraged on US Assistance to prepare and make plans for disaster drills, exercises, and the US AF participates in some of these annual drills, including flying in their portable ATC etc.. Wonder why PH, though has a much closer relationship with US, didn't take advantage of those options ..

Hannieroo
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 996
Joined: Tue, 22 Jan 2013

Postby Hannieroo » Wed, 13 Nov 2013 10:56 am

Apparently AFEIT in lucky plaza is collecting clothes.

A destroyer left HK yesterday with 80 helicopters and 500 US servicemen. That has to help. SG should be ashamed. The helpers I know are buying supplies themselves to send. Once again the people with the least give what they can.

User avatar
ScoobyDoes
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1650
Joined: Wed, 29 Nov 2006
Location: A More Lucky Spot

Postby ScoobyDoes » Wed, 13 Nov 2013 10:59 am

ecureilx wrote:
Don't shoot the messenger for saying this.

Singapore is just 4 hours by flight, and may follow the example of Malaysia, who preferred to fly in their own kit in their own planes, than to donate cash which may just disappear.

After all, once the ground situation is clear, it would make sense to fly in direct, than to ship to, say Manila, re-load, then to fly somewhere .. etc. etc.



The pledge amounts from US, UK, UN, NZ etc. don't typically mean 'cash' but rather the value of support, including sending the air force, navy, tins of beans, shelters, water purification systems etc.

Whilst some countries do treat it as one-upmanship it is important for any country that does contribute, open or hidden, to at least advise the public so we can, in the end, monitor exactly how much has gone missing and what is being done. It doesn't really help to do things behind closed doors because it duplicates work, which in its own way, is a waste of charitable funds.

A lot of governments now, as a result of 2004, don't ship things themselves but rather coordinate with a whole bunch of local charities, providing them funds and assistance, who work as a team to best provide materials and support needed on the ground. Governments have no idea what their own country needs let alone what one on the other side of the world needs.
'When Lewis Hamilton wins a race he has to thank Vodafone whereas in my day I used to chase the crumpet. I know which era I'd rather race in.'

SIR Stirling Moss OBE

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9295
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010

Postby ecureilx » Wed, 13 Nov 2013 12:06 pm

Hannieroo wrote:SG should be ashamed. .. ...


Seriously ?

So you want SG to wade in to a near-battle zone, as of now, with now local law enforcers starting to shoot .. ??? last count says atleast 2 shot dead ..

I saw some local news where gun shops had been cleaned out ..

When the US Sent relief to Haiti, the hidden joke had been that, half the forces on ground were protecting the other half .. and by nightfall, all retreated to the Base in fear ..

ScoobyDoes wrote:A lot of governments now, as a result of 2004, don't ship things themselves but rather coordinate with a whole bunch of local charities, providing them funds and assistance, who work as a team to best provide materials and support needed on the ground.


And these things don't happen overnight .. and from what I know, in PH case, the natives are suspicious in those areas, when there are foreign-boots-on-the-ground ..

ScoobyDoes wrote:Governments have no idea what their own country needs let alone what one on the other side of the world needs.


I can't forget the Winter clothing that was flown in post 2004 :)

Hannieroo
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 996
Joined: Tue, 22 Jan 2013

Postby Hannieroo » Wed, 13 Nov 2013 12:30 pm

There is an awful lot of help required other than that. But as one if the closest countries with an allegedly excellent peace keeping force then, yes, they should. Pledging the price of a mid size car to a country that provides so much manpower to this island is disgusting. It's actually be less insulting to send nothing.


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “General Discussions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests