Singapore Expats

Typhoon relief help from Singapore?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
Suseela

Post by Suseela » Wed, 13 Nov 2013 1:21 pm

ScoobyDoes wrote:I find it derisory and a little insulting the Singapore government donates a whopping S$50,000 and one rescue team.

Here! Here! Miserly to the core!

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Wed, 13 Nov 2013 1:23 pm

I think you're wrong to stand in judgment of others.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Wed, 13 Nov 2013 1:34 pm

Hannieroo
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Hannieroo » Wed, 13 Nov 2013 2:15 pm

That's the beauty of opinions, JR8. And I'm not judging individuals. Singaporeans like any other person have their mix of the charitable and the not.

I understand the links. Doesn't take away the need. I understand I may seem naive but sometimes it really is that simple. People are desperate. To ensure the maximum good for all is reached then men with guns are probably needed.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Wed, 13 Nov 2013 3:59 pm

and one more !!!

The reality ..

http://tinyurl.com/kypjqre

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Wed, 13 Nov 2013 4:03 pm

What a contrast to the Japanese during the triple-whammy disasters 2 years ago!

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Wed, 13 Nov 2013 4:19 pm

Hannieroo wrote:That's the beauty of opinions, JR8. And I'm not judging individuals. Singaporeans like any other person have their mix of the charitable and the not.
No, just whole countries eh.
'Pledging the price of a mid size car to a country that provides so much manpower to this island is disgusting.'

Hannieroo wrote: To ensure the maximum good for all is reached then men with guns are probably needed.
He.heee. wow.... hmmm ... hehehehehe.....

ScoobyDoes
Manager
Manager

Post by ScoobyDoes » Wed, 13 Nov 2013 4:28 pm

ecureilx wrote:and one more !!!

The reality ..

http://tinyurl.com/kypjqre

I hope you're not being critical of the way it is?

It is life or death after all and there is no way to say I, or you, wouldn't do the same under such circumstances if we also get no information about relief, when it will come, when I might get water, food or a place to stay dry.

Hannieroo is right, of course, it only evens itself out when the Marines AND relief arrive in equal measure.
'When Lewis Hamilton wins a race he has to thank Vodafone whereas in my day I used to chase the crumpet. I know which era I'd rather race in.'

SIR Stirling Moss OBE

Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Answers: 4

Post by Mad Scientist » Wed, 13 Nov 2013 4:33 pm

nakatago wrote: Oz pledged 10 million...
Not quite. The initial amount was AUD 400K

THE Coalition government has approved a $10 million aid package for the catastrophically devastated Philippines after Typhoon Haiyan bore through at the weekend.

Foreign Minister Julie Bishop announced the package at a press conference in Canberra this afternoon, saying the disaster was "on a massive scale".

"I have approved a $10 million package of humanitarian assistance," she said.

"This comprises the urgent deployment of an Australian medical assistance team - that's at a cost of about $1 million - $3 million to be deployed through Australian non-Government organisations, $4 million to the United Nations flash appeal."

There would also be $1 million for the Red Cross and $1 million, including the $400,000 already announced, for immediate emergency supplies such as mosquito nets, tarps and water containers.

"We will continue to closely monitor and consider our assistance to the Philippine Government and to the people of the Philippines," she said.

"The reports are still coming in as to the extent of the loss of life and so we will monitor the situation very carefully. Reporting remains exceedingly difficult due to the impact on some areas.

"I've just spoken to our ambassador in the Philippines and he has described the damage as being on a massive scale."

The Coalition government had been widely criticised for the initial announcement of $400,000 in aid funding.
- See more at: http://www.theaustralian.com.au/nationa ... qGzQJ.dpuf
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

Mi Amigo
Manager
Manager

Post by Mi Amigo » Wed, 13 Nov 2013 4:36 pm

Good to see everyone (more or less) rallying round to help with this tragedy. But disappointing to see so many online comments from Singaporeans who are apparently unable to suspend their racist bigotry even at this sad time.
Be careful what you wish for

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Wed, 13 Nov 2013 5:10 pm

Mad Scientist wrote:
nakatago wrote: Oz pledged 10 million...

"I have approved a $10 million package of humanitarian assistance," she said.
Hence, the italics. Abbott's cutting too many, too much but that's a different discussion.

But at least he's not a foaming-in-the-mouth racist Sillyporean keyboard warrior.

I'm actually surprised by the amount of publicised corporate help and donations. It seems that corporations either really care or are trying to buy good karma and nothing like a good, 'ole disaster to buy it from.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

morenangpinay
Reporter
Reporter

Post by morenangpinay » Wed, 13 Nov 2013 5:31 pm

i can't judge those people who are looting, its a desperate situation and they have no food or water for days already plus the trauma of losing your home and family ?

I experienced one of the strongest typhoons in the Philippines in 1995 and i was vacationing in my grandparents hometown which ended up to be the hardest hit. The typhoon was category 5 and the winds was 260kph. The roof of the house was flown away and walls were shaking and the wind howled. We cowered under a table praying the rosary all through out the night. After the storm we waited in the airport for a chance to fly out of the area to go to manila. we needed to get away from the situation.

That was scary enough but this typhoon is much stronger and you can imagine the desperation of those people who have no where to go.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Wed, 13 Nov 2013 6:09 pm

ScoobyDoes wrote:...

I hope you're not being critical of the way it is?
Not being critical, but stating that the ground situation is not as rosy as it would be thought of, for people to pack bags / drive their boat off the marina direct to Tacloban, or fly there and start distributing stuff.

Yes, once law and order is restored, I am sure there will be more boots on the ground ..

After all, Singapore was a major proponent of the Asean Disaster Management center and such ..

the local powers-be have to get some form of normalcy in place, I guess ..

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Wed, 13 Nov 2013 6:24 pm

Indonesia also sends $2M of aid to Philippines!

http://www.thejakartaglobe.com/news/ind ... ilippines/

Malaysia send US$2M!

http://www.thestar.com.my/News/Nation/2 ... a-aid.aspx

Why Singapore is behind with just 200k, just beats me..

Hannieroo
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Hannieroo » Wed, 13 Nov 2013 7:43 pm

Feel free to getting around to making an actual point on your own time, JR8. In the meantime I'll just ignore your m.o of taking issue with anything I say. Because it's boring.