Singapore Expats

Taxi langa

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
Max Headroom
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 1

Taxi langa

Post by Max Headroom » Sun, 10 Nov 2013 10:39 am

Yesterday, while driving to town, the taxi I was in rear-ended another cab. No major injuries on either side, apart from a chafed knee from where I hit the back of my front seat. I guess I catapulted forward before my seat belt bit.

Anyway, went to Raffles to get checked out and was cleared after an hour. The bill was S$110.

I intend to claim this, but I'm wondering who do I claim from, the taxi driver or the cab company?

Cheers.

Beeroclock
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Beeroclock » Sun, 10 Nov 2013 8:55 pm

Interesting question, I would've thought the taxi company. Better chance of getting money back from them anyway, but legally I'm not completely sure either. Does it depend on who is deemed to be at fault in the accident, ie if your taxi driver was at fault / negligent, then he becomes personally liable, but if the other driver at fault or shared responsibility, then you seek recourse from the taxi company who is providing you the service for a fee. Will be interested to hear other views but if me I'd claim from taxi company and let them recover from driver if they choose to.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Sun, 10 Nov 2013 10:20 pm

The liability will belong to the taxi's insurance. Now in Singapore whether the driver is insured as a driver, or the taxi as a taxi, I don't know.

Do you have the driver's contact info? Call him and ask. If he's liable, I'm sure he'll quickly settle out of pocket. And if he's not, he'll be sure to let you know who to contact (that isn't him!).

x9200

Post by x9200 » Sun, 10 Nov 2013 11:24 pm

Yes, it is with the driver. I was hit by one of them and with some very minor injuries went for a check up at GE Hospital ending with a bill IIRC of ca $S250. Surprisingly my insurer (I had general personal accident insurance) advised to use my own to pay it as otherwise I was likely to wait at least one year. I did as they suggested. The whole rest (my motorbike and other costs) took 1.5y to recover with the help of a lawyer but then it was a bit more than $250.

For $100 the driver may want indeed to settle it from his own pocket but he has more costs to cover so IMHO no guaranty.

Max Headroom
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Max Headroom » Mon, 11 Nov 2013 7:30 am

Thanks.

Yeah, I took a pic of his ic and got his cell phone number.

Liability is with the cab driver because he prang into another car's hiney when he should have been merging. The car we hit, another cab, was doing the same thing and it rear-ended a Jag.

Thanks again. I'll update as I go along.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Mon, 11 Nov 2013 9:58 am

In my case the drivers's insurer acted completely irrational. The driver's fault was very obvious and on top of that I had his written testimony addmiting to the fault (ta-da) and still almost ended up in the court.

ScoobyDoes
Manager
Manager

Post by ScoobyDoes » Mon, 11 Nov 2013 11:16 am

Just to say, in 99.9% of cases it is the guy at the back who is responsible for an accident......usually running along the line of 'Not able to stop in time and in the space he provided to the car in front.'

The guy in the front has no way of controlling the actions of the guy behind and is usually the innocent bystander.
'When Lewis Hamilton wins a race he has to thank Vodafone whereas in my day I used to chase the crumpet. I know which era I'd rather race in.'

SIR Stirling Moss OBE

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Mon, 11 Nov 2013 11:49 am

ps: after langa, did you walk senget ?? :D :D

Couldn't resist .. :D

BTW, how's this ??

http://tinyurl.com/m3n4w79

Max Headroom
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Max Headroom » Mon, 11 Nov 2013 1:09 pm

Tak senget sial, but my chin still has a (fading) mark where I clipped the back of the front passenger seat.

No issue about liability here, as we have a dozen witness, a bunch of road workers that saw the palaver from A to Z.

FaeLLe
Chatter
Chatter

Post by FaeLLe » Mon, 11 Nov 2013 5:31 pm

You might want to file an e-Police Report and take the report to *your* insurance company who will claim the costs from the *cab* company insurer.

Better to deal with your company rather than be chasing some external party.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Mon, 11 Nov 2013 7:22 pm

The police is only interested in the cases where one was taken from the spot by an ambulance.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Mon, 11 Nov 2013 9:08 pm

So the claim is, seeking compensation for an alleged grazed knee.

Is it worth it?

x9200

Post by x9200 » Tue, 12 Nov 2013 6:59 am

Just for the check up bill. For an alleged grazed knee it would be higher than $100. It is worth to try.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Tue, 12 Nov 2013 8:58 am

I would have thought you would have to demonstrate you had, or reason to believe you had, injuries that justified medical attention.

You can't take a taxi, which pulls up a bit quickly at a traffic light, then go and admit yourself at Raffles Hospital at the drivers expense.

So as I suggested, all there is is a grazed knee.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Tue, 12 Nov 2013 9:37 am

JR8 wrote:I would have thought you would have to demonstrate you had, or reason to believe you had, injuries that justified medical attention.

You can't take a taxi, which pulls up a bit quickly at a traffic light, then go and admit yourself at Raffles Hospital at the drivers expense.

So as I suggested, all there is is a grazed knee.
I guess for something that minor a circumstantial justification should be sufficient: why the hell would have he bothered to take all this troubles going to a hospital, wasting his time etc just to recover the very bills? Makes no sense.
BTW, you can also recover the transportation expenses to and from the hospital. I did.