Singapore Expats

Leaving Singapore but would like to remain a PR?

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
PerryCaravello

Leaving Singapore but would like to remain a PR?

Post by PerryCaravello » Fri, 08 Nov 2013 2:45 am

I'm presently leaving Singapore for a contract job back home but would like to keep my PR status for as long as possible so I can return if/or when it's over. I realize that this can't be done for long as every 5 years or so they review your status and determine whether to keep you as a PR and that requires you are collecting a decent wage locally (or something like that). But in the short term, how do I go about this? Must I notify any authority? I don't want to collect my CPF but I would like to pay my tax debt off in full ASAP if allowed. Does the SG Government frown upon this sort of activity?
- Perry
P.S. Sorry if this question has been asked numerous times!! : (

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Fri, 08 Nov 2013 9:57 am

Just leave, pay taxes online via IRAS. You might manage to renew REP once, but no more without local presence (I did it once in Shanghai, China but that was in the good old days). PR is not really meant to be a backup for you to run back to Singapore (unless you have legitimate overseas posting). Can try tho.

PerryCaravello

Post by PerryCaravello » Fri, 08 Nov 2013 10:27 am

Thanks PNGMK.
Yeh, I'm wouldn't try to keep it 'active' for too long. And it's probably not fair to others trying to get in I imagine.

bro75
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 1

Post by bro75 » Fri, 08 Nov 2013 12:01 pm

If you are out of sg for too long (more than 2 years in a 5 year REP period) , the next time you renew your REP, you may be given a 1 year REP only (they may also just reject your renewal). Within that year up to the next REP expiration, you are expected to be gainfully employed (related to your profession, flipping burgers may not cut it if you are a professional/executive) before they will give you another 5 year REP. It is also possible that the government may become more strict in the coming years depending on public citizen feedback.

PerryCaravello

Post by PerryCaravello » Fri, 08 Nov 2013 12:12 pm

I guess the PR status falls under the 'Use it or Lose it' rule.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 08 Nov 2013 12:43 pm

PerryCaravello wrote:I guess the PR status falls under the 'Use it or Lose it' rule.
No, it means "Permanent Resident" not part time resident. Simples. :-|
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

beppi
Manager
Manager

Post by beppi » Fri, 08 Nov 2013 4:43 pm

PR on family ties can renew their REP while living outside the country and can get the full 5 years renewal. It is necessary in this case to attach to your REP renewal application a letter explaining the situation and presenting convincing plans to move back to Singapore within the 5 years.

Beeroclock
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Beeroclock » Fri, 08 Nov 2013 9:37 pm

Perry, I'm curious why u don't want to collect you cpf?

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Fri, 08 Nov 2013 11:07 pm

Beeroclock wrote:Perry, I'm curious why u don't want to collect you cpf?
Earns a pretty safe, tax free four percent.

Strong Eagle

Re: Leaving Singapore but would like to remain a PR?

Post by Strong Eagle » Fri, 08 Nov 2013 11:10 pm

PerryCaravello wrote:I'm presently leaving Singapore for a contract job back home but would like to keep my PR status for as long as possible so I can return if/or when it's over. I realize that this can't be done for long as every 5 years or so they review your status and determine whether to keep you as a PR and that requires you are collecting a decent wage locally (or something like that). But in the short term, how do I go about this? Must I notify any authority? I don't want to collect my CPF but I would like to pay my tax debt off in full ASAP if allowed. Does the SG Government frown upon this sort of activity?
- Perry
P.S. Sorry if this question has been asked numerous times!! : (
I'm a PR who has left Singapore. I contacted ICA regarding my status. I gave them an address change (USA), and they dutifully sent me the new address strip for the back of my NRIC card. I was told that my PR and REP is good until it expires and then a case by case decision will be made as to whether I can renew.

I left in 2012 and paid my personal and corporate taxes for 2012 this year in accordance with IRAS schedules.

Beeroclock
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Beeroclock » Sun, 10 Nov 2013 8:15 pm

Thanks SE, yes good interest rate is understood. What I'm not sure when OP says I don't want to collect my CPF, if that means upon leaving, or ever. I was assuming the latter.... But if you do intend to collect eventually then yes I agree it's a decent interest rate.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 10 Nov 2013 10:23 pm

Risk on risk, I don't think you can find a better rate anywhere else.. In fact, when I turned 55 I could have withdrawn half of mine, but left it all intact, purely because I been burnt on other investments to the tune of bankruptcy back in 1973 so have been rather risk adverse ever since.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

PerryCaravello

Post by PerryCaravello » Mon, 11 Nov 2013 2:46 am

To clarify, I meant in the short term I was not going to empty my CPF as that is obviously an automatic forfeiting of any PR status.

Strong Eagle

Post by Strong Eagle » Mon, 11 Nov 2013 11:38 pm

PerryCaravello wrote:To clarify, I meant in the short term I was not going to empty my CPF as that is obviously an automatic forfeiting of any PR status.
Wife and I have also left all funds in, even though we could take out half... both for interest earned and just in case we come back.