Singapore Expats Forum

DP question from Australian citizen

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
PetitPlatypus

DP question from Australian citizen

Postby PetitPlatypus » Thu, 07 Nov 2013 6:30 pm

Hi there, my soon-to-be fiance holds an EP in Singapore and I want to apply for a DP to open up my work options, (although ideally I would like a job which offers my own EP).

I have read the official information which states that you need to be the spouse of the EP-holder, i.e. married, but I know a French couple who, 3 years ago, got the DP. They were unmarried and yet the girlfriend got the DP which was applied for by her partner's company. I see that you have to provide a marriage certificate, so can anyone enlighten me on how they did this?

Thank you

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 07 Nov 2013 6:48 pm

She probably got an LTVP and not a DP. This is usually the case. However, stranger things has happened but they are generally not the norm so they are nothing that we can say with any conviction.

PNGMK
Governor
Governor

Postby PNGMK » Thu, 07 Nov 2013 6:58 pm

Probably use a 'defacto marriage' cert from their embassy stating they were common law spouses.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 07 Nov 2013 8:56 pm

Most of the ones I've seen where they were allowed to stay, with a statement confirming a long-term relationship existed and attested to by the embassy, were given a LTVP provided which they were also sponsored by the employer. I have 'heard' others who say that knew somebody who knew somebody that got a DP but I don't remember anybody here on this board ever actually getting a DP in a common law or de facto arrangement and come back to confirm it. We have enough who have gotten the LTVP and later subsequently received an EP in their own right, but without the marriage certificate, I wouldn't hold my breath or bet my last nickle on getting the DP.

If you come from a country that recognizes de facto/common law marriages as a legal unit, then I believe that would be the only way possible. In fact, I think France does recognize common law marriages as a legal union. France is one such country therefore the issuance of a DP would have been warranted.

http://ma-nouvelle-vie-en-france.blogsp ... -pacs.html