Singapore Expats

Singapore lost #1 spot as desirable country for expats

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 06 Nov 2013 4:27 pm

hairy legs wrote: But, I can see that the Chinese have longer lifespan than S'poreans, mind you, a Politician's real live starts at 60!
I believe you have that backwards.

Singapore is in forth position (80/85 M/F) in the world for average longevity while China is in 49th position (74/77 M/F).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_co ... expectancy
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Wed, 06 Nov 2013 4:44 pm

Better details on the results:
http://blogs.wsj.com/chinarealtime/2013 ... od=WSJBlog

[quote]“While the survey doesn’t ask expats specifically about pollution levels, the survey does cover a wide range of indicators of expat quality of life that are relevant to expats across the globe,”

Max Headroom
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 1

Post by Max Headroom » Wed, 06 Nov 2013 6:15 pm

Enjoying cooler mornings these days here on Singer's East Coast. Amazingly, we woke up to morning dew hovering over the treeline opposite our place a few times this week. Even our tap water is chilly now. And the monsoon hasn't even started in earnest.

Looking forward to the cooler crispier weather.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 06 Nov 2013 7:56 pm

Yeah, this is the time of year I hate, I don't have a storage type water heater so when the ambient temperature of the water in the pipes cools down, those instant hot water heaters don't have time to heat up the water before it passes through the little pot that is supposed to be the heating tank. I hate cold showers. Even in hot weather! Especially at 6 am in the morning! :mad:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Chantikki
Regular
Regular

Post by Chantikki » Wed, 06 Nov 2013 11:16 pm

zzm9980 wrote:
hairy legs wrote: Oh, zzm9980, it is not cheap in SH, although there are many choices, the cost of living can be as high as Singapore if you want to live a decent lifestyle.
Oh, I know all about. I spend a significant amount of time in China for my company. I'm actually close to the 90-day limit for the year where I'd have to pay income tax if I exceed... And my Chinese is decent enough to ask the street vendors "?????????????“ :cool:

edit: Wow, the forum filters out Chinese now. That string of ??????? was the hanzi for: zhe ge chuan shi shen me rou? wo bu xi huan shu rou" (What kind of meat is this kebab? I don't like rat meat)
I don't like rat meat either, which is why Singapore is still number 1 on my list. [/u]

Wd40
Director
Director

Re: Singapore lost #1 spot as desirable country for expats

Post by Wd40 » Wed, 06 Nov 2013 11:35 pm

the lynx wrote:

Not sure how the locals would infer from this. Happy because less of FTs wants to come here? Or sad because that's another #1 trophy gone?

/joke
Depending on which type of local you are talking about the response will be:
1)From one of those who has 1 or more properties: "Alamak! what to do now, wonder once my condo tops will there be enough expats with packages to rent it"
2)From from TRE types: "This is all wayang, just to show that they are taking steps to reduce expats. Truth is these expats are not good enough in their own country, they will keep coming here in hordes...."

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Thu, 07 Nov 2013 8:42 am

Chantikki wrote:
zzm9980 wrote:
hairy legs wrote: Oh, zzm9980, it is not cheap in SH, although there are many choices, the cost of living can be as high as Singapore if you want to live a decent lifestyle.
Oh, I know all about. I spend a significant amount of time in China for my company. I'm actually close to the 90-day limit for the year where I'd have to pay income tax if I exceed... And my Chinese is decent enough to ask the street vendors "?????????????“ :cool:

edit: Wow, the forum filters out Chinese now. That string of ??????? was the hanzi for: zhe ge chuan shi shen me rou? wo bu xi huan shu rou" (What kind of meat is this kebab? I don't like rat meat)
I don't like rat meat either, which is why Singapore is still number 1 on my list. [/u]
I say it in jest. Have you tried rat meat? I mean, if you eat a number of kebabs and can't tell the rat from the lamb, does it really matter what it is at that point?

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 07 Nov 2013 9:29 am

hairy legs wrote: My 79 yr old dad passed away this year and my Chinese colleague said 'oh dear, he is so young'...
I may be wrong, but i thought that was to do with the Chinese belief in "LIVE LONG" and "DONT TALK ABOUT DEATH .. "

I still remember, not soon after when I arrived here, at a dinner I toasted "Here's to HEALTH, WEALTH and SUDDEN DEATH .. " as we do back home ..

The Chinese crowd there had this shocked look, for even mentioning DEATH in a happy time .. Only later did I find out that Chinese don't to think of dying .. and another friend added that as one of the reasons for many rich dying with loads of money in the bank, unspent ..

Chantikki
Regular
Regular

Post by Chantikki » Thu, 07 Nov 2013 11:33 pm

zzm9980 wrote:
Chantikki wrote:
zzm9980 wrote: Oh, I know all about. I spend a significant amount of time in China for my company. I'm actually close to the 90-day limit for the year where I'd have to pay income tax if I exceed... And my Chinese is decent enough to ask the street vendors "?????????????“ :cool:

I say it in jest. Have you tried rat meat? I mean, if you eat a number of kebabs and can't tell the rat from the lamb, does it really matter what it is at that point?
I bet rat kebabs taste just fine. :) Apparently field rats are delicious. But I like my food to be labelled accurately. Like "Melamine Milk", "Rat Kebab", "Fake Egg", "pork that was dyed and changed to taste like beef, Beef", i like my toxic oils to be labelled "Toxic Oil", "Fluorescent Bacon", natural herbal diet pills (with secret ingredients that will destroy your liver.) etc etc.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 08 Nov 2013 6:51 am

I wonder if rat tastes anything like muskrats? When I was a kid, I used trap muskrats and sell the pelts for $.75 each and my mom would make muskrat stew with the carcasses. Pretty tasty as I remember.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Fri, 08 Nov 2013 7:09 am

Dog and cat burgers less popular? It seems much better choice. More meat per animal hunted.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 08 Nov 2013 7:48 am

Can't vouch for cat, but many years ago, when in the VN highlands, at a small village, we had to sit down and partake of dinner with a village headman and we were served, as I was informed after dinner, dog. While psychologically it was rough on my mind due to western upbringing, in hindsight, I have to admit it wasn't bad. I also had the misfortune of being served monkey stew there as well and that was bad. Stringy and tough!

x9200

Post by x9200 » Fri, 08 Nov 2013 8:14 am

Probably the only bad thing about eating ratmeat is that it does not come from a farm but a gutter with all the related consequences. All the rest, as you said, are the upbringing factors. Funny, we need to have a right balance in this. It appears we have to like the animal at least a bit but not too much at the same time. All to enjoy eating it. The taste comes only the 2nd.

Wd40
Director
Director

Post by Wd40 » Fri, 08 Nov 2013 10:16 am

Regarding food its all relative. For example, I find people eating frogs in Singapore very gross. I saw dead frogs up for sale in Sheng Shiong.

Also the 1st time I came to Singapore and in a food court saw a stall named "Pig Organ Soup", was equally grossed out. I kept wonder which organ of the pig did it belong to :lol: Whenever I walk in a food court and see those whole burnt ducks dangling , I turn my eyes off.

But yeah, relatively speaking foodwise, I would imagine Singapore is the least wacky than most of oriental Asia.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Fri, 08 Nov 2013 10:30 am

Wd40 wrote:Also the 1st time I came to Singapore and in a food court saw a stall named "Pig Organ Soup", was equally grossed out. I kept wonder which organ of the pig did it belong to :lol: Whenever I walk in a food court and see those whole burnt ducks dangling , I turn my eyes off.
And you haven't got to blank out the 'organs' on display - yet ? :D
But yeah, relatively speaking foodwise, I would imagine Singapore is the least wacky than most of oriental Asia.
Not so, if you listen to a lot of less informed, you will be amazed .. including a bunch of keyboard warriors from some ASEAN country who insist Monkey brains are on offer in any restaurant in Singapore .. yes, the ones where the monkey is still alive ..