Singapore Expats

Education Question

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
r32gtr

Education Question

Post by r32gtr » Tue, 05 Nov 2013 1:38 am

Hi,

first time poster so hello to all.

I'm currently in salary negotiation with a Global company to run their Singapore office in a Sales Director function. I have been looking at information around permits and it mentions education.

I studied at University for 3 years but never completed my degree so only have a HNC rather than a BSc. My projected salary will be $270k a year ($22k+ a month), will my lack of degree have any impact?

I am UK born and bred and my parents are Indian if that matters.

Thanks in advance for your help

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Re: Education Question

Post by PNGMK » Tue, 05 Nov 2013 8:04 am

r32gtr wrote:Hi,

first time poster so hello to all.

I'm currently in salary negotiation with a Global company to run their Singapore office in a Sales Director function. I have been looking at information around permits and it mentions education.

I studied at University for 3 years but never completed my degree so only have a HNC rather than a BSc. My projected salary will be $270k a year ($22k+ a month), will my lack of degree have any impact?

I am UK born and bred and my parents are Indian if that matters.

Thanks in advance for your help
HNC will be good enough at that salary level IMO.

r32gtr

Post by r32gtr » Tue, 05 Nov 2013 6:41 pm

Thanks for your reply. i have another question. My company does not have a local office here as yet. So the visa costs are quite high which they are covering. They have only mentioned covering myself and not my wife, will she be able to get a DP quite easily? Is it better to do this at the same time?

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Tue, 05 Nov 2013 6:49 pm

r32gtr wrote:Thanks for your reply. i have another question. My company does not have a local office here as yet. So the visa costs are quite high which they are covering. They have only mentioned covering myself and not my wife, will she be able to get a DP quite easily? Is it better to do this at the same time?
As long as you can prove your married legally, and you're a he and not a she, it shouldn't be a problem. If you are a 'she', there are ways to get her an LTVP as long as it is legally recognized where you live. Search the forum for old posts on it.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Tue, 05 Nov 2013 8:55 pm

r32gtr wrote:Thanks for your reply. i have another question. My company does not have a local office here as yet. So the visa costs are quite high which they are covering. They have only mentioned covering myself and not my wife, will she be able to get a DP quite easily? Is it better to do this at the same time?
What do they mean by the visa costs and how is this related to your wife? Is it all what leads to the entrepreneur pass or something different?

r32gtr

Post by r32gtr » Wed, 06 Nov 2013 1:52 am

Thanks for the replies, i am definitely a he (last time i checked) and we are legally married, have been since June.

Dert42
Regular
Regular

Post by Dert42 » Thu, 07 Nov 2013 9:52 am

I don't have a degree of any kind besides high school.
I just had the offer from my company and had no issues getting the employment pass.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 07 Nov 2013 11:37 am

I am curious, r32gtr, do you have the actual IPA (In Principle Approval) for your EP (Employment Pass) in hand at the moment? If so, it the employer on the IPA your current employer? Or is it a subsidiary related company or some other company? With you income the fact that you don't have a degree won't stop getting one but your comment about having no corporate presence in Singapore sound odd if you have already gotten your IPA (you cannot get your EP until you actually come to Singapore and finalize the process).
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

x9200

Post by x9200 » Thu, 07 Nov 2013 12:34 pm

More things do not click in his story.

r32gtr

Post by r32gtr » Thu, 07 Nov 2013 7:23 pm

Sorry for the confusion all of my questions were pre-empting everything. I have accepted a job offer and the company is currently going through the process of applying for permits.

I wont hand my notice in at my current role until i get an IPA. There is already an employee from the company in Singapore but no physical office so maybe i worded that incorrectly.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 07 Nov 2013 9:01 pm

So the company DOES have a registered presence in Singapore albeit without an active office, per se, at the moment, just a single employee there. If that is true then I understand, however, is the employee that is here, a Singaporean or is that person a foreigner as well? This may impact the getting of an EP as well under the current climate, although at your income level, it's shouldn't really be a problem, provided your basic drawn salary is at least P1 level.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

r32gtr

Post by r32gtr » Thu, 07 Nov 2013 10:16 pm

The current employee there is a UK citizen who has been in Singapore for a while.

Drawn Salary is way above P1 so fingers crossed all should be fine.