Singapore Expats

Who else deals with dairy allergies?

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
jk21
Regular
Regular

Who else deals with dairy allergies?

Post by jk21 » Mon, 04 Nov 2013 8:29 pm

Wondering if anyone else also on this forum dealing with dairy allergies and looking for specific grocery items.

My current search is for a dairy-free stick margarine that I can use for baking. In the states there is always one or two brands (usually the cheap ones) that were all soybean oil. Hoping to make an apple crisp for a dairy allergic child for thanksgiving.

I have been searching the grocery stores and I am not even finding the stick margarine, just the tubs of air and water blended soft spreads.

Anyone know of an option?

x9200

Post by x9200 » Mon, 04 Nov 2013 8:59 pm

We use coconut based fats:

1. Coconut oil (it gets solid already ~25 deg C)

2. Coconut spread (tastes like slightly salty margarine)

You can get them from many organic food shops, e.g. Brown Rice Paradise in Tanglin Mall.

Beeroclock
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Beeroclock » Mon, 04 Nov 2013 10:32 pm

Can't help with "stick" margarine as we buy the tub variety, of which there are usually a few non dairy margarines if you hunt through the ingredient lists. For dairy allergy the high-end supermarkets naturally have a better range eg marketplace, Jason's. Cold storage also not bad but sometimes stocks run low, I'm always grabbing extra soy milk when my favorite brand is in supply. What I find really troublesome is eating out, where allergies are often not taken seriously and/or communication problems, taken together it's a disaster waiting to happen. Fortunately local food is almost entirely dairy free.

jk21
Regular
Regular

Post by jk21 » Tue, 05 Nov 2013 9:06 am

Thank you for replies. In addition to the coconut fat options, from another source will also try out Nuttelex which is a non-dairy, nut-free margarine from Australia.

"Nuttelex is good, I've used it for baking loads, and it has always worked well (even for frosting!). Not seen any in sticks though."

Now I am off on a fruitful search rather than feeling like I am on a wild goose chase.

Chantikki
Regular
Regular

Post by Chantikki » Wed, 06 Nov 2013 11:26 pm

No one here knows what a "stick" is, when i follow an American recipe I just google it to find out how much it weighs. (A stick is around 120 grams)

A "stick" such a funny measurement. I wonder how it originated?

I agree with coconut oil, we also make lard which is nice and natural and I have seen Crisco in Cold Storage which i am pretty sure has no dairy in it.

jk21
Regular
Regular

Post by jk21 » Thu, 07 Nov 2013 2:32 pm

A "stick" of butter or margarine. A pound of margarine or butter is frequently sold in the U.S. as 4 individually wrapped sticks. The stick's wrapper has a measurement guide printed on the outside, showing where to cut depending on how many tablespoons or what fraction of a cup you need. So measuring for a recipe only requires a knife. It is more about packaging customs and I don't think that the term "stick" would apply to any other ingredient.

So many nuances in a language.

BTW, made our trial apple crisp. One very surprised and happy child.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 07 Nov 2013 3:17 pm

[quote="jI don't think that the term "stick" would apply to any other ingredient.
[/quote]

I can only think of one. Cinnamon "sticks".
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

x9200

Post by x9200 » Thu, 07 Nov 2013 5:48 pm

Fish/crab sticks?