Singapore Expats

Thanksgiving In Singapore?

Share your favourite eating haunts!
CatherineS

Thanksgiving In Singapore?

Post by CatherineS » Sun, 03 Nov 2013 7:11 pm

Hi! Does anyone know of any restaurants/hotels that might serve a Thanksgiving dinner? I did a google search and saw there were events in previous years but can't seem to find anything for 2013.

Thanks!

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 03 Nov 2013 8:11 pm

Should be starting to see advert for turkey dinners sometime the latter part of this week I reckon. I've never partaken as I deep fry my own turkeys 2x/year at Tksgvg & Xmas. I'd do it more often if the birds weren't so damned expensive here (10x the amount at home). You can also get whole turkey/dinners from Cold Storage as well, delivered hot to your doorstep as well, with all the trimmings.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

HOTXFIL

Thanksgiving Dinner...

Post by HOTXFIL » Mon, 04 Nov 2013 8:56 am

Marriott on Orchard will have both a buffet and regular menu.

PrimroseHill
Chatter
Chatter

Post by PrimroseHill » Mon, 04 Nov 2013 11:01 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Should be starting to see advert for turkey dinners sometime the latter part of this week I reckon. I've never partaken as I deep fry my own turkeys 2x/year at Tksgvg & Xmas. I'd do it more often if the birds weren't so damned expensive here (10x the amount at home). You can also get whole turkey/dinners from Cold Storage as well, delivered hot to your doorstep as well, with all the trimmings.
Deeepfry???????? :shock: Not BBQ? :lol:

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 04 Nov 2013 12:07 pm

Yep. Deep Fried. Only take 25 minutes for a 5.5~6 kg bird.

SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

CatherineS

Post by CatherineS » Tue, 05 Nov 2013 9:55 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Yep. Deep Fried. Only take 25 minutes for a 5.5~6 kg bird.

Great! So can I come to yours?! :D

PrimroseHill
Chatter
Chatter

Post by PrimroseHill » Tue, 05 Nov 2013 11:19 am

Heston Blumental in the making. combust? :shock:

Akimbo
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Akimbo » Tue, 05 Nov 2013 12:09 pm

CatherineS wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:Yep. Deep Fried. Only take 25 minutes for a 5.5~6 kg bird.

Great! So can I come to yours?! :D
May I come also? :P
My thread...The Weekenders If you need my e-mail address, it's in the first post of the thread.

heliotropic365
Regular
Regular

Post by heliotropic365 » Fri, 15 Nov 2013 2:27 pm

is that a special contraption specifically for deep-frying turkey? i've heard you can start a huge fire doing that if you're not careful! looks absolutely delicious though - the season is fast approaching!

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 15 Nov 2013 3:08 pm

Yes it is. And yes you can if you are not careful. What you cannot see as it's behind me next to the steamer insert is a 3kg Combat fire extinguisher that is always handy anytime I deepfry. I've never had an accident in 40 years. But videos abound on Utube showing how NOT to do it. AND you never, and I mean NEVER do this inside a carport or in the house. But, once you have tasted a deepfried bird, you'll never go back to roasting.

Yep, I'll be cooking at least two birds, one on turkey day (or two days later this year (Sat) and another on Christmas Day. And if I can find the odd bird or two I might pick 'em up and throw 'em in the freezer for sometime early in the new year. (If any left they are usually on sale (which only means they are 5 x more expensive than home instead of the normal 10x! :x

Here's what the Steamer rig is good for.......Chesapeake Bay style steamed crabs!

Last edited by sundaymorningstaple on Mon, 18 Nov 2013 4:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

heliotropic365
Regular
Regular

Post by heliotropic365 » Mon, 18 Nov 2013 10:50 am

OMG that is a lot of crabs! that must've been some party :D

Deep fried turkey is something I've still never tried - I'm afraid you're right that once you have it it's hard to enjoy an over-roasted turkey, especially since that method can be so tricky to pull off as well! Happy Thanksgiving!

btw, does anyone know what happened with that previous post? i was quoted, i think, but the reply was as if the whole thing was my comment? that's new, haha!

PrimroseHill
Chatter
Chatter

Post by PrimroseHill » Mon, 18 Nov 2013 2:32 pm

where's that place that delivers deep fried turkey in SG?
Are we invited, SMS?

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 18 Nov 2013 4:03 pm

Be a bit rough as I've already got 15~20 coming (big extended family!)

Heliotropic365, that was just for 5 people. You eat crabs Chesapeake style as well, which means eating crabs and drinking beer. Not much of anything else except for maybe some steamed corn on the cob. Here's a shot of my kitchen down on the farm taken a couple of years ago on hols when we caught a mess of crabs and had a feast for 8 of us....

That was me. I apparently hit edit instead of quote (moderators have an additional button beside the quote button and I apparently didn't take note of it (looking for the quote tags) when I started my message. :oops:

PrimroseHill
Chatter
Chatter

Post by PrimroseHill » Tue, 19 Nov 2013 8:29 am

we are coming :D

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Tue, 19 Nov 2013 8:47 am

Put me in the guest list too!