Singapore Expats

Reply to a post that was deleted, by the time I hit 'Send'.

Chats, Flames, Jokes, Junks. Don't know where to post ? You've just found the right place.
JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Reply to a post that was deleted, by the time I hit 'Send'.

Post by JR8 » Sat, 02 Nov 2013 4:09 pm

Feels pretty strange. Wrote a reply to a post that got zapped. Now have a post with 'nowhere to go'.

Well, here it is. Wonder if you can retro-imagine what I was replying to :)

-----------------------------------
Any internal flight I've done within Egypt, once below maybe 10,000ft half the people on board are on their phones. One minute nothing, then the next as you're on final-approach, and a signal comes in range, 5 then 10 then 20 ring-tones going off. Little heed paid to 'switch off your mobile for the duration of the flight, until you're safely back in the terminal building'.

It is, quite unexpected, and disconcerting. But I haven't heard of it bringing down a plane there, or anywhere else for that matter.

Maybe it's a one of those things. The act itself is not a danger, however it is perceived to be. So by extrapolation the act is potentially dangerous via belief/common perception, but not fact.

Like smoking on a petrol station forecourt; what, the whole place is supposedly going to go up like Nagasaki? Ok, but where has this evvvvver happened before?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 02 Nov 2013 5:09 pm

Possibly smoking but NOT cell phones, but more than likely by static discharge. Almost all petro kiosk fires are started by static discharge from people who rel-enter the car while the tank is being filled and then sliding across the seats and not grabbing the car while getting out. This is mostly by younger people as older folks usually grab the side & door to pull themselves up and thereby discharge the electricity. They walk back to the nozzle and when they reach for the nozzle, they discharge directly into the fumes escaping from the tank filler pipe. Usually confined to the car itself and rarely the pump but if one have a hold of the nozzle and jerked it out on the flash provided the auto shutoff didn't release the trigger, it could cause a pretty big mess, I reckon. Lot's of them on U-tube.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Max Headroom
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 1

Post by Max Headroom » Sat, 02 Nov 2013 9:38 pm

With your reply being as innocuous as that, it makes me curious why the thread should get zapped eh.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 02 Nov 2013 10:25 pm

Maybe the original poster decided against it? I donno? I didn't see it. GR8 didn't give us much to go on as to the content of the original post. Or maybe he just likes to see his post count go up? :lol:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Max Headroom
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Max Headroom » Sun, 03 Nov 2013 1:02 pm

Over to Lofty.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sun, 03 Nov 2013 1:25 pm

It was a post about using mobiles on flights. The poster included a couple of weblinks. He looked kinda a bit newbie/spammie, but the point he made (beside the links etc) was ok. Hence me taking the time to reply.

Anyone techie can retrieve the original from their cache...

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Mon, 04 Nov 2013 8:12 am

The cell phone "danger" to aircraft has always been a myth.

Steve1960
Editor
Editor

Post by Steve1960 » Mon, 04 Nov 2013 8:29 am

I see much the same on El Al flights, general disregard for in flight rules. Strange when you consider the security to get on board.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 04 Nov 2013 9:11 am

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldne ... nding.html

But still a ban on phone calls & sms's

Max Headroom
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Max Headroom » Mon, 04 Nov 2013 11:12 am

I'm a nincompoop when it comes to electronic hardware, simply don't know if there could be a real interference issue at all, but you know that pulsing sound you hear coming out of your stereo speakers when your cell is dialing a number? If it can do that, couldn't it conceivably befuddle some critical plane part too, given fly-by-wire?

When you're at 39,000 feet, it's probably safer to be err on the side of caution, innit?

Then again, I picked up on CNA last week that this US airline has announced that electronic equipment is now permitted on their flights. So probably it's safe.

:???: