Singapore Expats

PR application

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
a1092115

PR application

Post by a1092115 » Thu, 31 Oct 2013 12:40 pm

Hi everyone

Like many others on here, looking for some advice on my chances of PR approval/what I can do to maximise my chances. Be gentle :)

Nationality: Australian
Ethnicity: Chinese
Employer: SingTel
Salary: >$12k per month
Education: Double degree
Relationship status: Single
Children: None
Family background: Both parents originally Singaporean (migrated to Australia 40 years ago). I have many uncles/aunties/cousins living here.
Time in Singapore: 1 year

How long do you think I should wait before submitting my application? I'd like to apply next year, but it's probably too early.

Thoughts appreciated.

Thanks

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 31 Oct 2013 12:52 pm

Wait till you have been here 2 years and then go for it. (but if early rejection doesn't bother you, go for it now - they can only send you two responses. Yes or No. Of course the No may come with codicils attached like wait until you have been here two years, or you are welcome to stay here on an EP as long as you can. Nothing ventured, nothing gained early. Salary, ethnicity, education are all in the green zone, as you were born in Australian you are not a former Singaporean so they won't hold that against you. Go for it.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Saint
Director
Director

Post by Saint » Thu, 31 Oct 2013 3:41 pm

Take a look at the link to the PTS PR notes, in particular section 6i

http://www.ica.gov.sg/data/resources/do ... Jul12).pdf

tidus12000

Post by tidus12000 » Thu, 31 Oct 2013 4:33 pm

when ur parent take up australian citizenship?
If u born with singapore citizenship, when u give up singaporean citizenship?
Do u serve NS when u supposed to?

bobypf
Regular
Regular

Re: PR application

Post by bobypf » Thu, 31 Oct 2013 4:44 pm

a1092115 wrote:Hi everyone

Like many others on here, looking for some advice on my chances of PR approval/what I can do to maximise my chances. Be gentle :)

Nationality: Australian
Ethnicity: Chinese
Employer: SingTel
Salary: >$12k per month
Education: Double degree
Relationship status: Single
Children: None
Family background: Both parents originally Singaporean (migrated to Australia 40 years ago). I have many uncles/aunties/cousins living here.
Time in Singapore: 1 year

How long do you think I should wait before submitting my application? I'd like to apply next year, but it's probably too early.

Thoughts appreciated.

Thanks
Dude, I know what will follow after I post my comment, but I don't care. I will tell you what I'm gonna do for myself.

I've been thinking of applying for PR for some time already. When I posted my thoughts about should I apply or not, I had to bare all the outpouring of comments that I must not apply, that I must consider it carefully, that it's not a joke, that I am one of these who make things tougher for the others and so on...

The thing is that I finally decided to give it a try and my appointment is tomorrow. I know I stand no chance but I don't give a fcuk. I am just ordinary angmoh on S pass, who's been here for less than 2 years, without a degree, but since I have the right to apply, why not? This is what all my singaporean colleagues have been telling me - that I must. If I get rejected - which I am sure I will be - nothing will change. If I get it, it would be a bonus.

Look, you have nothing to lose and the application is free. With your salary, qualifications and all the bells and whistles you've got, you can always try. In the worst case you'll just waste your time filling up all these forms and gathering all the documents (which are quite a lot actually), but at least you will see what it's like.

I for one, will just take a walk tomorrow to Lavender and will see how the system works.

Ok, that's all from me, now let the judgement begin! ;)

kookaburrah
Regular
Regular

Re: PR application

Post by kookaburrah » Thu, 31 Oct 2013 4:47 pm

bobypf wrote:
I for one, will just take a walk tomorrow to Lavender and will see how the system works.
Good for you! Good luck

tidus12000

Post by tidus12000 » Thu, 31 Oct 2013 4:48 pm

Good luck. But ang moh with S pass, that's definitely is rare.

bobypf
Regular
Regular

Post by bobypf » Thu, 31 Oct 2013 4:50 pm

tidus12000 wrote:Good luck. But ang moh with S pass, that's definitely is rare.
In my company from 4 angmohs, 2 of us are on S pass.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 31 Oct 2013 4:58 pm

tidus12000,

Might help to read a little closer...... Had he been a Singapore citizen or not done NS he would have never gotten and EP. :wink:
tidus12000 wrote:when ur parent take up australian citizenship?

SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Thu, 31 Oct 2013 5:01 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:tidus12000,

Might help to read a little closer...... Had he been a Singapore citizen or not done NS he would have never gotten and EP. :wink:
tidus12000 wrote:when ur parent take up australian citizenship?

Pretty normal for Tidus...

tidus12000

Post by tidus12000 » Thu, 31 Oct 2013 5:15 pm

His parents might still with Singaporean citizenship.
Children of Australian PR born in Australia automatically get Australian citizenship.
Both sons of my sister (Australian PR) get Australian citizenship automatically when they born there.
I have read statement highlight by SMS before I posted my previous reply.

tidus12000

Post by tidus12000 » Thu, 31 Oct 2013 5:17 pm

Sorry, When he is born, his parents might still be singaporean. Converted later.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 31 Oct 2013 5:29 pm

tidus12000 wrote:Sorry, When he is born, his parents might still be singaporean. Converted later.
Had that been the case he was have been nabbed last year when he came to Singapore as he would be listed as a NS dodger and would have never gotten an EP. In fact, if his parents obtained his citizenship, he would not have been able to get an EP in the first place. You should have quit while you were ahead. Now you are looking even sillier as everybody knows you cannot renounce unless you have done NS. ](*,) #-o

tidus12000

Post by tidus12000 » Thu, 31 Oct 2013 5:35 pm

Can he renounce when he is 15yrs old? But with hight salary >12,000, he may still be granted an EP.

kookaburrah
Regular
Regular

Post by kookaburrah » Thu, 31 Oct 2013 5:37 pm

*hands Tidus a larger, more ergonomic shovel