Singapore Expats

starting a business to import rice into singapore

Discuss your views about Singapore business & economy, current policies & issues, starting a business in Singapore.
clairechanmyae

starting a business to import rice into singapore

Post by clairechanmyae » Thu, 31 Oct 2013 10:53 am

Hi,

I'm young female who wants to start a business to import rice into singapore. Please lead me since I am newbie to this business. I guess I also have to look for buyer first? any pointer would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Claire

AngMoG
Reporter
Reporter

Post by AngMoG » Thu, 31 Oct 2013 11:18 am

Claire,

If you have no idea how to run an import/export business, the first thing should be to inform yourself about that. Then research the rice market in Singapore and import regulations. These topics should have plenty of coverage online. Then come back with any specific questions.

I am a bit pessimistic about your "business idea" though, since already a lot of rice is imported into Singapore by a number of companies. The question you need to ask yourself is, how are you going to differentiate yourself from them, what are your USPs, what is your niche?

clairechanmyae

Post by clairechanmyae » Thu, 31 Oct 2013 11:36 am

Hi,

I really appreciated what you replied for me. Yes, I'm finding out all those information online. yes I am newbie to that business. that is why I came here for any valuable suggestions and advises from every each of you who are already experienced in the business field.

The rice i would like to import is from Myanmar since I don't see any rice from Myanmar. I thought it would be a nice jumpstart for me to do it (I guess so) but of course I have to find it out those information you pointed me out.

Thank you for your reply. I hope I will get your suggestions and advises all along the way.

Thanks,
Claire

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Thu, 31 Oct 2013 11:40 am

The import/supply business is a cartel here.

livingontheedge
Chatter
Chatter

Post by livingontheedge » Wed, 06 Nov 2013 12:38 pm

I can source, supply and sell you the rice. Seriously I can. But as to distributing to customers in Singapore, I will hold no risk or obligation.

MadduBhavan

Re: starting a business to import rice into singapore

Post by MadduBhavan » Sat, 18 Jan 2020 1:28 am

Hello,

I am maddu, studying in singapore, recently, i initiated the idea of importing rice to singapore. i would like to understand your experieces and results when you started the business as i see you might now have a long experience as the post dated back to year 2013.

it would be really if you share your insights.

Thanks

paulkiran

Re: starting a business to import rice into singapore

Post by paulkiran » Fri, 22 Jan 2021 6:23 pm

Hi Maddu, Iam Paul Kiran.
Iam also having an idea of importing rice from India to Singapore. You managed to get any imputs?
appreciate if you can share your thoughts.