Singapore Expats

Korean BBQ

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
Fortan
Chatter
Chatter

Korean BBQ

Post by Fortan » Wed, 30 Oct 2013 12:01 pm

I am looking at inviting my wife out for Korean BBQ and don't know where to go. Can anyone give some recommendations on your favorites?

Looking at a good place to eat - value for money. Not necessarily the most expensive restaurant :)

v4jr4
Reporter
Reporter

Re: Korean BBQ

Post by v4jr4 » Wed, 30 Oct 2013 12:09 pm

Fortan wrote:I am looking at inviting my wife out for Korean BBQ and don't know where to go. Can anyone give some recommendations on your favorites?

Looking at a good place to eat - value for money. Not necessarily the most expensive restaurant :)
Some people recommend "Seoul Garden" at Johor (half price, compared to SG), but I never went there. As for my fave, "2D1N" (around Tanjong Pagar) is pretty good. Buffet style :P
"Budget Expat"

Akimbo
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Akimbo » Wed, 30 Oct 2013 12:39 pm

Is that your favorite because it tastes good? Or is it because it's slightly cheaper than others? Or the atmosphere is great?
My thread...The Weekenders If you need my e-mail address, it's in the first post of the thread.

Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Post by Barnsley » Wed, 30 Oct 2013 12:44 pm

Red Pig on Amoy Street...

In fact just wallk down Amoy Street and take your pick ..... loads of Korean places there.
Life is short, paddle harder!!

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Wed, 30 Oct 2013 1:25 pm

Seoul Garden is dirt cheap. Probably MYR40 per adult on a weekend for all-you-can-eat. But you pay peanuts for monkeys so you get substandard quality of food and the typical tak-apa (don't care) Malaysian service. Looking at it positively, Korean BBQ allows you to burn your food as much as you want it to be so that will take care of any potential stomach dysentery. Go there if you have confidence in your BBQ skills and you want to stretch that ringgit.

2D1N is VERY good! 'Nuff said. Highly recommended. For SGD40+ you get good selection of meat. But it gets very crowded and they don't allow reservations IIRC. Queueing takes 30 to 45 minutes.

Bornga is also a highly recommended one. A little bit expensive (because it is not an all-you-can-eat) but you get great service. The waiters also cook your meat for you. There is one in Star Vista. Be sure to try the potato pancake as well. If the pricing scares you, the one in City Square mall, JB is just as good, with MYR pricing.
v4jr4 wrote:Some people recommend "Seoul Garden" at Johor (half price, compared to SG), but I never went there. As for my fave, "2D1N" (around Tanjong Pagar) is pretty good. Buffet style Razz

ScoobyDoes
Manager
Manager

Post by ScoobyDoes » Wed, 30 Oct 2013 1:59 pm

the lynx wrote:Seoul Garden is dirt cheap. Probably MYR40 per adult on a weekend for all-you-can-eat.

Not exactly 'dirt cheap' at RM40. I tend to head to a buffet in Cheong Chin Nam Road opposite Bukit Timah Shopping Centre where I think it's S$20 for all-you-can-burn and kids under 6yrs old eat free.

Good selection of meats, seafood and veggies.
'When Lewis Hamilton wins a race he has to thank Vodafone whereas in my day I used to chase the crumpet. I know which era I'd rather race in.'

SIR Stirling Moss OBE

Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Post by Barnsley » Wed, 30 Oct 2013 6:33 pm

Just passed a place called Seoul Good when on the bus.
Its on Upper Payer Lebar Road...
No idea if anygood but its got a cool name. :o

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Thu, 31 Oct 2013 8:47 am

Fortan, if you wanna try a non-BBQ version of Korean food, try these:

1. Seoul Yummy @ Clarke Quay - good food that doesn't hurt your wallet. The house signature bibimbap is to die for. Don't go to the one in Bugis+ though, for strange reasons, the food is vastly different between the two.

2. Kim Dae Mun's @ Concorde Hotel & Shopping Mall - hawker-cheap Korean dishes, cooked by a Korean family. It is at the basement of the hotel mall.

3. Damotory @ Robertson Quay (where Fraser Suites is) - all-you-can-eat Korean (non-BBQ) buffet for $40+. Best one I ever had. Try the soju and beer as well.

Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Post by Barnsley » Thu, 31 Oct 2013 10:06 am

the lynx wrote:Fortan, if you wanna try a non-BBQ version of Korean food, try these:

1. Seoul Yummy @ Clarke Quay - good food that doesn't hurt your wallet. The house signature bibimbap is to die for. Don't go to the one in Bugis+ though, for strange reasons, the food is vastly different between the two.

2. Kim Dae Mun's @ Concorde Hotel & Shopping Mall - hawker-cheap Korean dishes, cooked by a Korean family. It is at the basement of the hotel mall.

3. Damotory @ Robertson Quay (where Fraser Suites is) - all-you-can-eat Korean (non-BBQ) buffet for $40+. Best one I ever had. Try the soju and beer as well.
Do you have a food blog? :D

Or at least a handy hints sheets for the various cuisines and where best to get them? :o

the lynx
Governor
Governor

Post by the lynx » Thu, 31 Oct 2013 11:13 am

Barnsley wrote:Do you have a food blog? :D

Or at least a handy hints sheets for the various cuisines and where best to get them? :o
The day I have a food blog will be the day my waistline speaks of my gastronomic wealth of experience :P

v4jr4
Reporter
Reporter

Post by v4jr4 » Fri, 01 Nov 2013 12:26 pm

Akimbo wrote:Is that your favorite because it tastes good? Or is it because it's slightly cheaper than others? Or the atmosphere is great?
Lynx has mentioned about the taste and $$, but as for the atmosphere, well, you won't expect people to eat buffet in silence :P
The Lynx wrote:The day I have a food blog will be the day my waistline speaks of my gastronomic wealth of experience :P
lynxeatlynxshootlynxpost :P
"Budget Expat"

v4jr4
Reporter
Reporter

Post by v4jr4 » Fri, 01 Nov 2013 12:38 pm

the lynx wrote:Fortan, if you wanna try a non-BBQ version of Korean food, try these:

There was one place near 2D1N which provides good Korean foods and side dishes [kinda love that place], but now, there's no more :cry:
"Budget Expat"

Fortan
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Fortan » Fri, 01 Nov 2013 1:28 pm

Had a look at all the options you guys have posted but I still not sure I have found the KOREAN BBQ I want to go to.... All seems more like standard Korean food than the BBQ version where you sit at the barbie. The ones that have been mentioned are perhaps not 'fine dining' enough for a date night. Any other suggestions?

Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Post by Barnsley » Fri, 01 Nov 2013 1:36 pm

Fortan wrote:Had a look at all the options you guys have posted but I still not sure I have found the KOREAN BBQ I want to go to.... All seems more like standard Korean food than the BBQ version where you sit at the barbie. The ones that have been mentioned are perhaps not 'fine dining' enough for a date night. Any other suggestions?
What exactly are you looking for?

That could be a good start. :D

ScoobyDoes
Manager
Manager

Post by ScoobyDoes » Fri, 01 Nov 2013 4:23 pm

There is one in the M-Hotel where you can get private room etc. as well.....

'Fine' though is subjective.
'When Lewis Hamilton wins a race he has to thank Vodafone whereas in my day I used to chase the crumpet. I know which era I'd rather race in.'

SIR Stirling Moss OBE