Singapore Expats

Taxi Travel for 1 year old - Car Seat?

Discuss about childcare, parenthood, playschools, educational, family & international school issues.

Sponsored by:

Canadian International School
Beeroclock
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Beeroclock » Mon, 11 Nov 2013 2:17 pm

Headline in today's paper "Taxi plunges into condo pool after driver makes wrong turn" !!

Pennywhistle

Post by Pennywhistle » Thu, 14 Nov 2013 11:09 am

Thanks again everyone! I have actually just purchased a product called 'go go babyz' travel mate that kind of turns a car seat into a stroller. Sounds weird, but will be super useful at the airport (allowing us to take her car seat on a plane) and also once we are in Singapore. I envisage booking a taxi to say, the zoo, then using her car seat in the taxi (unfortunately not anchored correctly but the best that we can....I will practice at home first!) then taking it out and attaching it to this "go go babyz" thingo and wheeling her around. (and checking the car seat in some storage cloak room that will hopefully be available). A little bit convoluted, but it's making me feel reassured that I can use a car seat in a taxi (ordered!) when I want.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 14 Nov 2013 11:17 am

Beeroclock wrote:Headline in today's paper "Taxi plunges into condo pool after driver makes wrong turn" !!
Can you imagine if the Taxi had had a passenger with a toddler strapped into some convoluted baby transporter type of seat. I'm afraid both the adult and the baby might have perished due to the parent not being about to unfasten the carrier and then panicking and losing it.

Scary. The only good thing in their favour is airconditioning. With the windows rolled up, the car would fill up with water a tiny be slower.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Pennywhistle

Post by Pennywhistle » Thu, 14 Nov 2013 11:36 am

Cheers for that unhelpful reply Sundaymorningstaples! From what I have read of your posts your normally very helpful, if not cheeky. :) You having a bad day? Don't take it out on my choices.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Thu, 14 Nov 2013 11:49 am

Pennywhistle wrote:Thanks again everyone! I have actually just purchased a product called 'go go babyz' travel mate that kind of turns a car seat into a stroller. Sounds weird, but will be super useful at the airport (allowing us to take her car seat on a plane) and also once we are in Singapore. I envisage booking a taxi to say, the zoo, then using her car seat in the taxi (unfortunately not anchored correctly but the best that we can....I will practice at home first!) then taking it out and attaching it to this "go go babyz" thingo and wheeling her around. (and checking the car seat in some storage cloak room that will hopefully be available). A little bit convoluted, but it's making me feel reassured that I can use a car seat in a taxi (ordered!) when I want.
Not a bad idea. Here is a photo:

But I guess in a year or two you will face the same problem again as this solution clearly has its limits.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Thu, 14 Nov 2013 12:30 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Beeroclock wrote:Headline in today's paper "Taxi plunges into condo pool after driver makes wrong turn" !!
Can you imagine if the Taxi had had a passenger with a toddler strapped into some convoluted baby transporter type of seat. I'm afraid both the adult and the baby might have perished due to the parent not being about to unfasten the carrier and then panicking and losing it.
Still better chances than with a toddler smashed against the windsreen at the time of the impact.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 14 Nov 2013 12:59 pm

Pennywhistle wrote:Cheers for that unhelpful reply Sundaymorningstaples! From what I have read of your posts your normally very helpful, if not cheeky. :) You having a bad day? Don't take it out on my choices.
I'm an ex-military helicopter pilot and I have also undergone emergency helicopter water exits as training both in the military and during 20 years of offshore oil exploration. I'm not in the habit of blowing smoke about anything. I am trained to look to problems wherever and whenever they might occur. I'm also locally CERT trained as well. It's well you should look at all pros AND cons.

:-|
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 14 Nov 2013 1:19 pm

x9200 wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Still better chances than with a toddler smashed against the windsreen at the time of the impact.
That is only going to happen if the minders are silly enough to strap in the child in the center of the rear seat. If the child is strapped in behind either of the front seats the child will not gain that much acceleration before striking the back of the front seat (of course is the child is strapped in a easily unfastened (e.g., aviation style of quick release harness) in the chair and the chair is in turn fastened properly with the belt than it's better, obviously. The ease of the quick release three point harness is what if most important. But the monstrosities of the child seats of today, are so over board as to make it even hard to reach across to tend to a child without having to unbuckle your own seat belt.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Thu, 14 Nov 2013 2:45 pm

Me things there is much higher chance that the kid will be in the middle than the taxi landing in any water pool or in fire (going beyond the pool scenario). Hard to question the usefulness of the safety belts in general. You can be trapped with the seat belts child seat or the regular one. It happens unfortunately but I don't think child seats are particularly vulnerable.
This should be in every single car. Visible and reachable.

TryingTBBMom

taxi's and carseats…seriously?

Post by TryingTBBMom » Thu, 06 Mar 2014 12:01 am

I can understand what a pain it is to carry around a carseat for taxi transport but I would never put any of my kids in a car period without one. The taxi driver's albeit can be nice and somewhat professional but the general way everyone, locals, and expats alike drive here in Singapore very aggressive, impolite, fast, and there are always accidents. Why take chances… there are great carseat/stroller combos out today. If you are having doubts, then just get into a cab on your own during rush hour.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Re: taxi's and carseats…seriously?

Post by PNGMK » Thu, 06 Mar 2014 9:40 am

TryingTBBMom wrote:I can understand what a pain it is to carry around a carseat for taxi transport but I would never put any of my kids in a car period without one. The taxi driver's albeit can be nice and somewhat professional but the general way everyone, locals, and expats alike drive here in Singapore very aggressive, impolite, fast, and there are always accidents. Why take chances… there are great carseat/stroller combos out today. If you are having doubts, then just get into a cab on your own during rush hour.
I agree with the carseat/stoller combo but what happens in the 2 yo to 8 yo gap?

Beeroclock
Reporter
Reporter

Re: taxi's and carseats…seriously?

Post by Beeroclock » Thu, 06 Mar 2014 10:49 am

TryingTBBMom wrote:I can understand what a pain it is to carry around a carseat for taxi transport but I would never put any of my kids in a car period without one. The taxi driver's albeit can be nice and somewhat professional but the general way everyone, locals, and expats alike drive here in Singapore very aggressive, impolite, fast, and there are always accidents. Why take chances… there are great carseat/stroller combos out today. If you are having doubts, then just get into a cab on your own during rush hour.
Yes I think you're right, I regret the number of times we took the chance in the past. Just thank God we never had an accident. I think for us it was not only pain of carrying car seat, but time to get in/out of taxi etc combined with all other challenges of new parenting, meant we were barely getting out the apartment... So we eventually justified to ourselves and became complacent on car seats..... I'm glad since we finally got a car recently, no longer facing this dilemma.

Hannieroo
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Hannieroo » Thu, 06 Mar 2014 8:07 pm

For the booster seat age, trunki do a booster that is a backpack. Very handy.