Singapore Expats

What retail products do you miss from home?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Wed, 30 Oct 2013 12:25 pm

Oh make you own cheese sauce, so simple... SO much nicer.

Onion stuck with cloves... garlic, poach in milk, etc. That's the starting point...

Delia probably has the answer...

p.s. @ Steve. Kebo + chili sauce. Q. 'And you wan chili sauce innit?' ... A. 'Lash it on mate'

Fortan
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Fortan » Wed, 30 Oct 2013 12:29 pm

The best bread I have found in Singapore is close to where I work now. In Ikon Village. Give it a try, I am sure you will love it. I am a 'bread-head', I just love good bread and this is brilliant:

http://nickvina.com/

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Wed, 30 Oct 2013 12:38 pm

Looks very nice.

But, I must say, it reminds me of another business idea I had. Taking small start-up web-sites and giving them a sanity-check/linguistic audit. The language is terriblly garbled, and reflects poorly.

Anyhowz [;;], the bread looks really great.

Steve1960
Editor
Editor

Post by Steve1960 » Wed, 30 Oct 2013 12:46 pm

JR8 wrote:p.s. @ Steve. Kebo + chili sauce. Q. 'And you wan chili sauce innit?' ... A. 'Lash it on mate'
haha I can visualise it

Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Post by Barnsley » Wed, 30 Oct 2013 12:49 pm

Steve1960 wrote:I have been racking my brains and don't think there is anything I really miss.

Sometimes it takes a little searching (or asking on this forum) and sometimes (more often than not) its a bit expensive but I have found everything I like in the end. Maybe I am just not that adventurous!

The things I thought would be a problem are easily found in Cold Storage. Piccalilli, HP brown sauce, cheese sauce (for cauliflower cheese), OXO cubes.

In fact now that I have a 'UK TV Anywhere' box installed and a large free standing bath tub I would go as far as to say the only thing I miss from the UK is family.

Doner Kebab on a Saturday night after a long stint in the pub watching football..................maybe but my health must be better without it and the six pints of wife beater beforehand.

Can't think of anything else. :-k
Did you see the guy who brought doner kebab to the masses in the UK died recently
:cry:
Life is short, paddle harder!!

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Wed, 30 Oct 2013 12:57 pm

The 1am Sunday morning kebo, yes with chili sauce, marking the resigned death of your previously hopeless 10.30pm dream of 'her, on the other side of the bar'.

BedokAmerican
Chatter
Chatter

Re: What retail products do you miss from home?

Post by BedokAmerican » Wed, 30 Oct 2013 1:18 pm

monkton wrote:I remember when we first moved here from the US my wife really missed Vitamin Water (it's since arrived in SG). I still miss certain products that I used to be able to walk into a 7-11 or a supermarket in New York and pick up. What are some items you used to take for granted that you can't find in Singapore?
I miss Vitamin Water Zero and Gatorade Light. Only the traditional Vitamin Water and Gatorade are available here.

Hannieroo
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Hannieroo » Wed, 30 Oct 2013 1:54 pm

Pork pies.

Steve1960
Editor
Editor

Post by Steve1960 » Wed, 30 Oct 2013 2:04 pm

JR8 wrote:The 1am Sunday morning kebo, yes with chili sauce, marking the resigned death of your previously hopeless 10.30pm dream of 'her, on the other side of the bar'.
yes yes :cry:

PrimroseHill
Chatter
Chatter

Post by PrimroseHill » Wed, 30 Oct 2013 2:32 pm

BedokAmerican wrote:
monkton wrote:I remember when we first moved here from the US my wife really missed Vitamin Water (it's since arrived in SG). I still miss certain products that I used to be able to walk into a 7-11 or a supermarket in New York and pick up. What are some items you used to take for granted that you can't find in Singapore?
I miss Vitamin Water Zero and Gatorade Light. Only the traditional Vitamin Water and Gatorade are available here.
Did't even know that Vitamin Water Zero or Gatorade Light exist.
Cheese sauce- yes, homemade is better than the sachet.
Maldon salt - for cooking it is $8 here :oops:

jk21
Regular
Regular

Post by jk21 » Wed, 30 Oct 2013 9:25 pm

Orange juice that was just plain orange juice. Without added milk powder, sucrose, etc. and did not taste horrible due to UHT processing. Never thought that finding good OJ would be a challenge in a tropical climate. Just give me the good ole' minute maid frozen concentrate.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Thu, 31 Oct 2013 10:47 am

PrimroseHill wrote:Did't even know that Vitamin Water Zero or Gatorade Light exist.
Maldon salt - for cooking it is $8 here :oops:
I don't get the concept of zero-cal rehydration drinks. They work, they rehydrate, due to their sugar content being optimised to pass rapidly into the bloodstream. What next asparin-free asparin?

It's like rehydration salts. You take a sachet, and it says 'mix with 250ml of water', it's important. I once knew a dive-guide who would mix them with say 50ml of water as he hated the salty flavour ['Woorrrr, I kin 'ate this minging stuff' hahaha]... missing the point that that he was probably *further* dehydrating himself as a result.

p.s.
Maldon salt. I wouldn't bother, unless it's for presentational effect. Otherwise NaCl is NaCl, 50c or $8. [I'd be very interested to see an informed person make a case that there is any value in boutique salt, beyond the cosmetic/visual potential]

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Thu, 31 Oct 2013 11:53 am

Pot!

uscate
Chatter
Chatter

Post by uscate » Thu, 31 Oct 2013 12:47 pm

LOL Strong Eagle!

I miss our BBQ grill. The ones at our condo are always filthy and smell of rotten food….YUCK!!

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Thu, 31 Oct 2013 1:47 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:Pot!
Hehehe....

I never got so into it, that I'd miss it. Well apart from 2-3 years, way back.

Last time I tried it, it was something really bad, 'Super-skunk' or something, GM-grass. Nothing like a simple chilled out puff on home-grown, it was like dropping a tab of acid, and quickly quite frightening. Luckily I understood the concept of tripping, and a 'bad-trip' so could rationalise it.

I mention this only in case it's of use to some parents, who don't realise 'weed' these days is a very very, very very, very different experience to what it was back in say the 70/80s.