Singapore Expats

24/7 lighting of common parts

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
JR8
Immortal
Immortal

24/7 lighting of common parts

Post by JR8 » Mon, 28 Oct 2013 10:08 pm

I sit here overlooking blocks, both public and private, where all the common parts are flood-lit after dark. A glance to the left and I look upon 100-200 floors, decks, walkways. But I've yet to notice a single person.

Is there a purpose to the 'perma-lit 23rd floor'? Proximity sensors? Are they afraid of the dark, of turning the lights off here?

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Re: 24/7 lighting of common parts

Post by PNGMK » Mon, 28 Oct 2013 10:28 pm

JR8 wrote:I sit here overlooking blocks, both public and private, where all the common parts are flood-lit after dark. A glance to the left and I look upon 100-200 floors, decks, walkways. But I've yet to notice a single person.

Is there a purpose to the 'perma-lit 23rd floor'? Proximity sensors? Are they afraid of the dark, of turning the lights off here?
It's one of the ways Singapore was made safe. But yes, a surprising number of Singaporeans are actually terrified of being left in the dark. A favourite stunt of mine in Australia was to stop the car in which whatever Sinkie I was driving at night on a country road.... in the complete darkness in an empty road with nothing at all around they would panic. Mainland Chinese were a bit the same as well (city folk).

The Ref
Chatter
Chatter

Post by The Ref » Mon, 28 Oct 2013 10:34 pm

If they turned off more lights people may see that there are actually so many stars in the night sky. The Stars are one of the things I miss most in Singapore (and the Queensland winters)

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Mon, 28 Oct 2013 10:45 pm

Britain, and Europe, was made safe by bombing the 'kin hell out of the Germans. But, hey, you know, times moves on ;

Interesting idea. I know the state here like to instil vulnerability.

I'm just struck by the hypocrisy, all these perma-lit blocks, and then next week I'll be reading about some school eco project to recycle water bottles. In the same way a nearby school broadcasts assembly to the pupils in the yard, audible and interruptive perhaps a mile away, and then their next class is 'Social awareness and being a good neighbour' ...