Singapore Expats Forum

Dealing with or avoiding depression....

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

User avatar
PNGMK
Governor
Governor
Posts: 5764
Joined: Thu, 21 Mar 2013
Location: Sinkapore

Dealing with or avoiding depression....

Postby PNGMK » Mon, 28 Oct 2013 8:46 am

OK I turned 49 on Sunday.

Today I'm a little depressed, worried about my job and generally thinking it's all down hill.

I know internally it's not that bad. However emotionally I feel it's bad.

I know excercise can help, I know being outside definitely helps.

I have far less depression in Singapore than I do in suburban environments in Australia.... the lonely, souless sucking life of Perth Suburbia has to be experienced to be believed.

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Re: Dealing with or avoiding depression....

Postby JR8 » Mon, 28 Oct 2013 11:53 am

Jeez I thought you were some grumpy old git, but we're less than 2% off a par! :)

I've faced something similar. It's perhaps harder when you work alone, from home. You need social interaction, the light on your face, a purpose/a mission. An identity that comes via how others know you and interact and relate with you. ... Yes and light, and exercise really do help.

So what's your next mission?


ps. I rather enjoyed Perth :). Though yes living at the end of the world surely has it's challenges...

User avatar
PNGMK
Governor
Governor
Posts: 5764
Joined: Thu, 21 Mar 2013
Location: Sinkapore

Re: Dealing with or avoiding depression....

Postby PNGMK » Mon, 28 Oct 2013 1:12 pm

JR8 wrote:Jeez I thought you were some grumpy old git, but we're less than 2% off a par! :)

I've faced something similar. It's perhaps harder when you work alone, from home. You need social interaction, the light on your face, a purpose/a mission. An identity that comes via how others know you and interact and relate with you. ... Yes and light, and exercise really do help.

So what's your next mission?


ps. I rather enjoyed Perth :). Though yes living at the end of the world surely has it's challenges...


The next mission is exactly right. I'm thinking of going back out on my own and starting something new. Can't say what but several ideas are coming up.

User avatar
QRM
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1831
Joined: Mon, 17 Oct 2005
Location: Nassim hill

Postby QRM » Mon, 28 Oct 2013 1:32 pm

Go for a full medical check up, nothing like a medical scare to make folks appreciate how good life is, and what a bonus it is just to wake up every morning.

User avatar
PNGMK
Governor
Governor
Posts: 5764
Joined: Thu, 21 Mar 2013
Location: Sinkapore

Postby PNGMK » Mon, 28 Oct 2013 3:55 pm

QRM wrote:Go for a full medical check up, nothing like a medical scare to make folks appreciate how good life is, and what a bonus it is just to wake up every morning.


Just seeing the dentist and realizing how shitty my teeth are is usually enough.

I asked him in all seriousness what the point of having a ceramic tooth made was when he promised "it would last a lifetime".

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Postby JR8 » Mon, 28 Oct 2013 4:03 pm

QRM wrote:Go for a full medical check up, nothing like a [quality] medical scare to make folks appreciate how good life is, and what a bonus it is just to wake up every morning.



LOL! That is Soooo true :-)


I don't think the male of the species is that well suited to retirement. We need a perpetual challenge, a goal, a purpose to get up.

Doesn't matter if it's lawn-bowling, golf, recreational SCUBA diving, or being in an investment club. We thrive on being pack animals.

User avatar
x9200
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9320
Joined: Mon, 07 Sep 2009
Location: Singapore

Re: Dealing with or avoiding depression....

Postby x9200 » Mon, 28 Oct 2013 7:37 pm

JR8 wrote:Jeez I thought you were some grumpy old git, but we're less than 2% off a par! :)

Interesting, I told almost the same once to PNGMK.
But I am surprised you are THAT old. I thought you are somewhere within first half of your forties.
Weird enough, I kind of into an opposite extreme. I have to remind myself that I am not that young any longer and people from outside see someone much older than I really feel inside.
Yes, the turn of millage counter at the birthdays is definitely nothing nice but that's probably all negative I feel at this moment (excluding that I will need glasses soon).

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Re: Dealing with or avoiding depression....

Postby JR8 » Mon, 28 Oct 2013 9:04 pm

x9200 wrote:Interesting, I told almost the same once to PNGMK.
But I am surprised you are THAT old. I thought you are somewhere within first half of your forties.
Weird enough, I kind of into an opposite extreme. I have to remind myself that I am not that young any longer and people from outside see someone much older than I really feel inside.
Yes, the turn of millage counter at the birthdays is definitely nothing nice but that's probably all negative I feel at this moment (excluding that I will need glasses soon).


'You're as old as the woman you feel' :) Early, late 40s? I'm not sure there's a huge difference. Mid 30s to 50? Yes, that is a life-change...

Funny isn't it how 'acting an age' comes down to fulfilling the expectations of others. But some people esp. celebrities get an exit-pass on that, whilst we pruriently look on via the tabloid press at 'the resulting plague they invite up themselves' lol... and how we get a bit sort of grumpy when they occasionally cheat the God of Expectations, and actually do ok, or heavens forbid it's worse, succeed, outside of the corral'.

Perhaps it comes down to, how much you are conscious of being judged by others. And what you think society's expectations of you are? Isn't that one virtue of being an expat abroad, to some extent, you are free to reinvent yourself... ?

I probably need glasses too, but via a combination of denial-of-ageing and laziness, have managed to put off having an eye test for the past year... :)



p.s. You are the 1st ever person to refer to me being 'THAT old'. LOL! Get you a beer for that one. I expect it had to come sometime...

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 35168
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 28 Oct 2013 9:15 pm

I just don't want to hear about it. :mad:

The Ref
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 275
Joined: Wed, 19 May 2010

Re: Dealing with or avoiding depression....

Postby The Ref » Mon, 28 Oct 2013 9:47 pm

JR8 wrote:p.s. You are the 1st ever person to refer to me being 'THAT old'. LOL! Get you a beer for that one. I expect it had to come sometime...

If I say you are "THAT old" will you buy me a beer too? ;-)

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Re: Dealing with or avoiding depression....

Postby JR8 » Mon, 28 Oct 2013 9:52 pm

The Ref wrote:
JR8 wrote:p.s. You are the 1st ever person to refer to me being 'THAT old'. LOL! Get you a beer for that one. I expect it had to come sometime...

If I say you are "THAT old" will you buy me a beer too? ;-)


Nah I'll give you a kin slap son


hahaha :-D

p.s. Permissible irrationality due to old age

User avatar
x9200
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9320
Joined: Mon, 07 Sep 2009
Location: Singapore

Re: Dealing with or avoiding depression....

Postby x9200 » Mon, 28 Oct 2013 10:05 pm

JR8 wrote:I probably need glasses too, but via a combination of denial-of-ageing and laziness, have managed to put off having an eye test for the past year... :)

I see we use exactly the same tactics. The only problem is, the reading before sleep gets increasingly difficult.


p.s. You are the 1st ever person to refer to me being 'THAT old'. LOL! Get you a beer for that one. I expect it had to come sometime...

This THAT is nicely provocative and I had full right to use it as I am more less THAT old myself. BTW, are you going to come over for the gathering this time? I owe you one beer too.

The Ref
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 275
Joined: Wed, 19 May 2010

Postby The Ref » Mon, 28 Oct 2013 10:09 pm

Mate, unfortunately I am not that far off your level of experience :(
meaning I am far too old to be called "son"
(as a hint - I am younger than you but on a Lou Reed / Velvet Underground tribute fix on youtube)

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Postby JR8 » Mon, 28 Oct 2013 10:23 pm

It's funny, I've done this before. You have a whole world, maybe 20 people you routinely might chat with any given day (similarly a wise-ol self-help group on some particular niche subject matter). You do it for years.

You get this idea of the people behind the monikers, but it's often, it seems, very wrong. IME it's weird to be like a forum member, and then going to a physical meet up. As reality clashes... Is it the same with blind dating? hehe...

I'm in two minds about meeting up. a) I might never be here, as I'm always off diving b) will my experience improve by being socially coerced inside the wire? hahaha.... !

User avatar
PNGMK
Governor
Governor
Posts: 5764
Joined: Thu, 21 Mar 2013
Location: Sinkapore

Postby PNGMK » Mon, 28 Oct 2013 10:39 pm

JR8 wrote:It's funny, I've done this before. You have a whole world, maybe 20 people you routinely might chat with any given day (similarly a wise-ol self-help group on some particular niche subject matter). You do it for years.

You get this idea of the people behind the monikers, but it's often, it seems, very wrong. IME it's weird to be like a forum member, and then going to a physical meet up. As reality clashes... Is it the same with blind dating? hehe...

I'm in two minds about meeting up. a) I might never be here, as I'm always off diving b) will my experience improve by being socially coerced inside the wire? hahaha.... !


I went to the last one even though I felt the same as you. SMS, Lynx and I love rice were very nice to meet at my end of the table.


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “General Discussions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests