Singapore Expats

Information on foreign worker levy for LTVP holders

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
jackson2013

Information on foreign worker levy for LTVP holders

Post by jackson2013 » Fri, 25 Oct 2013 10:47 pm

Hi,

Can anyone please tell me whether the foreign worker level applies to LTVP holders that are de-facto (unmarried) partners?

I know that it does not for a spouse, however I cannot get clarity on this for a defacto partner.

The reason I am asking is that my unmarried partner recently applied for a S-Pass visa independently (she is not degree qualified) however this was denied as her prospective employer in Singapore had breached its foreign worker threshold.

Hence, we are now considering that she come in under my EP (by applying for a LTVP and separate S-Pass in order for her to work). I'm a little bit worried now that she might be denied a second time given she was unsuccessful when applying for the S-Pass initially. I'm hoping that if she reapplies for a S-Pass, once the LTVP is approved, she might get it this time. That's obviously assuming the foreign worker load is not applicable to LTVP holders that are defacto/unmarried partners.

Any further information or guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Jack

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Re: Information on foreign worker levy for LTVP holders

Post by PNGMK » Fri, 25 Oct 2013 11:28 pm

jackson2013 wrote:Hi,

Can anyone please tell me whether the foreign worker level applies to LTVP holders that are de-facto (unmarried) partners?

I know that it does not for a spouse, however I cannot get clarity on this for a defacto partner.

The reason I am asking is that my unmarried partner recently applied for a S-Pass visa independently (she is not degree qualified) however this was denied as her prospective employer in Singapore had breached its foreign worker threshold.

Hence, we are now considering that she come in under my EP (by applying for a LTVP and separate S-Pass in order for her to work). I'm a little bit worried now that she might be denied a second time given she was unsuccessful when applying for the S-Pass initially. I'm hoping that if she reapplies for a S-Pass, once the LTVP is approved, she might get it this time. That's obviously assuming the foreign worker load is not applicable to LTVP holders that are defacto/unmarried partners.

Any further information or guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Jack
An LTVP will not help, that just lets her live here. She needs (for the right to work) to qualify soley on her own merits AFAIK.

jackson2013

Post by jackson2013 » Fri, 25 Oct 2013 11:40 pm

Thanks for the reply.

I believe her visa was denied on the basis that her potential employer was in breach of the foreign worker threshold (of S pass holders). From my understanding her experience/qualifications were adequate.

What I know is if she gets a LTVP coupled with a S pass, does the foreign worker threshold still apply? It doesn't for a spouse, but I'm not sure for a defacto partner.

Another option is that she works for a larger employer who employs more Singaporeans vs foreign workers.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Sat, 26 Oct 2013 12:11 am

jackson2013 wrote:Thanks for the reply.

I believe her visa was denied on the basis that her potential employer was in breach of the foreign worker threshold (of S pass holders). From my understanding her experience/qualifications were adequate.

What I know is if she gets a LTVP coupled with a S pass, does the foreign worker threshold still apply? It doesn't for a spouse, but I'm not sure for a defacto partner.

Another option is that she works for a larger employer who employs more Singaporeans vs foreign workers.
There's no coupling between an LTVP and S-pass - they are mutually exclusive. You can have one or other but not both and neither is a gateway for the other.

My wife was on an LTVP for years (I'm a PR). She went back to teaching and her LTVP was cancelled when she was issued an employment pass. The LTVP made is easier for her to be here and look for work is all.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 26 Oct 2013 6:48 am

Exactly.

However, even though she may have been eligible for the S pass, there is no way of knowing this for sure as MOM will bounce a application on the first instance without going through the entire application. As soon as the employer files, their quota will be checked. If no quota or over quota (due to recent reduction in the caps for S pass holders and WP holders) application will be bounced for that reason.

There would be no way of knowing if she qualified on her own until the Employer Quota can be passed. The S pass application qualifier is only to see if one is qualified to apply for the S or EP pass. But that, in and of itself, is not a guarantee of being qualified under the current criteria (which isn't published at all) for the issuance of the S pass.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

bro75
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 1

Post by bro75 » Sat, 26 Oct 2013 9:16 am

The LTVP will let your partner stay here and look for a job. After she finds one, her potential employer will need to apply for a pass for her (SPASS/EPASS). Her spass application will still fall under the appropriate SPASS quotas, so her employer needs to be one who is not in breach of the quotas.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Sat, 26 Oct 2013 9:55 am

jackson2013 wrote:Thanks for the reply.

Did MOM/Employer tell that or she told you that ???
jackson2013 wrote:What I know is if she gets a LTVP coupled with a S pass, does the foreign worker threshold still apply? It doesn't for a spouse, but I'm not sure for a defacto partner.

From what I know, the not-counting-towards-foreigner only applies to spouse of SC/PR on LTVP converting to Work Pass / EP.

And There is no 'coupled' pass ..

I maybe wrong on the last two though ..

where is your gf from ? Many asian nationalities are having tough time getting LTVP-> Work Pass now ..

jackson2013

Post by jackson2013 » Sat, 26 Oct 2013 1:28 pm

My partner is Australian (hopefully that will make it easier for her to get a LTVP).

Given the comments above, it sounds like the most sensible option is to get her over on a LTVP. Once here, apply for a S Pass with another employer. I don't think her prospective employer will meet the S Pass thresholds for a little while. Quite unfortunate :(