Furnishing the flat

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
Tali

Furnishing the flat

Post by Tali » Mon, 03 Jan 2005 10:49 pm

I am going to rent a 3bdr+study appartment for SGD 4.500/mth.
The landlord gave me an option to furnish it according to my own liking and he will pay for it.
He gave me budget of SGD 7.000. Appliances (kitchen, washing machine, TV) are already there.
So this 7.000 should cover all furniture, rugs, lamps.

I have looked at some furniture shops and an average sofa was about 1.200 and a queen size bed incl. mattrass was about the same price. No fancy items though.

Is not the budget that the landlord gave me too low??
Can I furnish the flat (without too many compromises on quality) with a new furniture for this money?

When house hunting, I was looking at fully furnished appartments for lower prices and I am sure that to furnish them as they were cost probably more than 7.000..!

Thanks..

Regime

Budget

Post by Regime » Mon, 03 Jan 2005 11:52 pm

$7,000 is definitely not enough to buy the furniture and appliances, large pieces of furnitures like sofa sets and dining tables already cost over $3,000, don't forget mattress don't come cheap.

Appliances would easily cost you $5,000. You would probably hv to come out with out-of-pocket expenses.

Tali

Furniture only

Post by Tali » Tue, 04 Jan 2005 12:20 am

No, the $7,000 is only for FURNITURE.
Appliances are already there and so is a dining table and wardrobes in each room.

So the furniture is for a master bedroom, a guest room, study and a living room : 2 sofas, a queenisize bed, 2 coffee tables, 2 bedside tables, 2 chests of drawers, desk, chair, bookcase, 2 rugs, big mirror, 3 lamps.[/list][/quote]

well...

Post by well... » Wed, 05 Jan 2005 1:13 pm

$7000 certainly should cover the bulk of what you need. Why not pay for anything else you need/want with your own money (should you even end up having to)? I assume the landlord gets to keep whatever you buy with the $7000, so just keep good records & all receipts for everything and anything you have paid for with your own money take with you when you go.