Singapore Expats

Internship Biomedical Engineer

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
benjaminDE

Internship Biomedical Engineer

Post by benjaminDE » Tue, 22 Oct 2013 5:00 pm

Hello there,

I will move to Singapore in January 2014 to work there for a German company as an expat.
For this reason I would like to take my girlfriend with me, she is studying biomedical engineering in Germany since 2 years - she's ambitious and one of the best in her course.
If there is another field of application which could be interesting for her, she probably could work there also. Interesting tasks would be Engineering, Productmanagement, laboratory work.

If you have Information of possibilitys, please contact me, I can also provide you with a CV.

Thank you in advance - I appreciate it.
Benjamin

naanwar

Re: Internship Biomedical Engineer

Post by naanwar » Wed, 23 Oct 2013 10:13 am

benjaminDE wrote:Hello there,

I will move to Singapore in January 2014 to work there for a German company as an expat.
For this reason I would like to take my girlfriend with me, she is studying biomedical engineering in Germany since 2 years - she's ambitious and one of the best in her course.
If there is another field of application which could be interesting for her, she probably could work there also. Interesting tasks would be Engineering, Productmanagement, laboratory work.

If you have Information of possibilitys, please contact me, I can also provide you with a CV.

Thank you in advance - I appreciate it.
Siemens has a big office here. Not sure if they have a Bio-Med division. But something to explore. Also there may be lots of Med Instrumentation companies here given the good quality healthcare. Your girlfriend can research and find opportunities here. There are also many startups and R&D activities here. But I am not sure if foreigners are eligible.

benjaminDE

Post by benjaminDE » Wed, 23 Oct 2013 1:40 pm

Thank you for your reply, we will check on this.

How is the visa problem for foreign students solved at the moment? Is there a way to get a valid "work" or "training" Visa?
The University she's stuyding is not ranked under the Top 200 of the World.

Have a good time!
Benjamin

x9200

Post by x9200 » Thu, 24 Oct 2013 6:53 am

There are many large (MNCs) bio-med companies in Singapore. Just do some homework.

For the visa, the company will take care of it.

benjaminDE

Post by benjaminDE » Thu, 24 Oct 2013 3:34 pm

Hi, thanks for your reply!

Believe me, I already did my homework because its important for us that she can go to Singapore with me.

Honestly, the way through websites is nearly chanceless. I'm trying to find someone who's searching for an ambitious girl with a big knowledge and the will and fun at working in a different culture and support with her workforce. She's doing a lot of Lab-work here in Germany.

I would like to support this girl, but in my industry, its not possible.
Benjamin

x9200

Post by x9200 » Thu, 24 Oct 2013 5:04 pm

Benjamin, unless your coming here is dependent on your GF finding her job first before you come, I would suggest come over here and do the following:
1. Identify the companies (BD, Merlin, Cardinalhealth, Agilent, P&G... probably a few dozens more)
2. try your best to identify her potential boss
3. contact him directly first via e-mail with a follow up via phone call

The chances of finding her an internship via this site are IMHO minimal for a number of reasons including these two:
- anonymity that people prefer to have (this concerns regulars like myself)
- low chances to find a potential employer among ad hoc visitors

kookaburrah
Regular
Regular

Post by kookaburrah » Thu, 24 Oct 2013 5:42 pm

with a biomedical background she might want to explore other careers in the pharma industry - there may be opportunities within R&D. Many German companies have large offices here - bayer schering, boehringer, etc - and language may be an asset (it is sometimes difficult to bring to the table skills not common among the local talent pool).

x9200

Post by x9200 » Thu, 24 Oct 2013 7:24 pm

She's looking for an internship. As far as I can tell, MOM is not that strict in granting trainee passes.

Another hint: check A*Star and its Biomedical Research Council related institutes.

kookaburrah
Regular
Regular

Post by kookaburrah » Fri, 25 Oct 2013 10:34 am

Many pharma companies here offer internships in their R&D departments (or are willing to consider them). These are not advertised positions - use LinkedIn to liaise directly with people in the companies.

benjaminDE

Post by benjaminDE » Fri, 25 Oct 2013 1:40 pm

Hi there,

thank you so much for your help. We will try to manage this the way you suggested!

{CV link removed in accordance with forum policies - moderator}

I hope I will meet such nice people in Singapore over there, like here in this forum! :wink:
Benjamin