Singapore Expats

A different view on SG xenophobia

Discuss about any latest news or current affairs in Singapore or globally. Please DO NOT copy and paste news articles from other sources without written permission.
AngMoG
Reporter
Reporter

A different view on SG xenophobia

Post by AngMoG » Mon, 21 Oct 2013 1:26 pm

I found this blog entry today, very interesting: A richer Singapore is one full of ghettoes populated with identity-hoppers

A small excerpt:
[quote]
It sometimes seems as if the ground is being prepared by a daily dripfeed of xenophobic “news”

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 21 Oct 2013 2:15 pm

It would seem you have stumbled across "The Real Singapore". The wally wanker who runs that spot along with the other wankers who run the other two T sites are the biggest purveyors of purile bullsh*t in Singapore. The Online Citizen (TOC) and TRE (Temasek Review) are the other two T sites. Xenophobes to the Nth degree.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

singapore eagle
Chatter
Chatter

Post by singapore eagle » Mon, 21 Oct 2013 2:25 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:It would seem you have stumbled across "The Real Singapore". The wally wanker who runs that spot along with the other wankers who run the other two T sites are the biggest purveyors of purile bullsh*t in Singapore. The Online Citizen (TOC) and TRE (Temasek Review) are the other two T sites. Xenophobes to the Nth degree.
I disagree about TOC. They sometimes cross the line, but most of their stuff is quite moderate.

Read this piece from Saturday from one of the TOC editors:

http://andrewlohhp.wordpress.com/2013/1 ... -ill-will/

AngMoG
Reporter
Reporter

Post by AngMoG » Mon, 21 Oct 2013 2:55 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:It would seem you have stumbled across "The Real Singapore". The wally wanker who runs that spot along with the other wankers who run the other two T sites are the biggest purveyors of purile bullsh*t in Singapore. The Online Citizen (TOC) and TRE (Temasek Review) are the other two T sites. Xenophobes to the Nth degree.
There are sometimes interesting articles on the first page, but 80% or more is just garbage - either due to xenophobia, or due to being pseudo-science or pseudo-informed "journalism". TRE is 100% garbage, and since they use their own anonymous commenting system, the comments are pure hatred. TOC can be interesting, but their website navigation sucks.

With all the laws against fostering racial or religious intolerance, one would think that these websites would be shut down or blocked, but it seems it is deemed necessary for the irate citizens to have an outlet.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Re: A different view on SG xenophobia

Post by zzm9980 » Mon, 21 Oct 2013 3:46 pm

AngMoG wrote: Yet it seems perfectly ok if I go out with a group of mostly SG Chinese, and they talk in (some sort of) Mandarin, while they know perfectly well I do not understand that language.
So f-in true haha. But don't worry, if you spoke proper Mandarin*, you'd be shunned for being a mainlander.

*- many don't, even when they think they're speaking Mandarin it's more like Sing-darin, a Singlish approximation for Chinese.

Mi Amigo
Manager
Manager

Post by Mi Amigo » Mon, 21 Oct 2013 4:02 pm

AngMoG wrote: Yet it seems perfectly ok if I go out with a group of mostly SG Chinese, and they talk in (some sort of) Mandarin, while they know perfectly well I do not understand that language.
If my wife and I come across this kind of situation, we get our own back by talking in Spanish. Not many Singaporeans seem to speak that language so we get some odd looks, but the point is made. :cool:

Frankly the behaviour described by AngMoG is just plain rude in my book and sadly it occurs quite frequently here. I sometimes recall an example at the opposite end of the spectrum - from donkeys' years ago when I was on holiday with my parents in Greece. We were having lunch at a restaurant and an extended Greek family sitting on the next table heard us talking in English. The gentleman who was obviously the head of the family asked the children to speak in English from that point onwards, out of respect for the visitors. He did this not to show off but purely as a friendly gesture. What style.
Be careful what you wish for

Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Post by Barnsley » Mon, 21 Oct 2013 6:11 pm

[quote="AngMoG"]I found this blog entry today, very interesting: A richer Singapore is one full of ghettoes populated with identity-hoppers

A small excerpt:
[quote]
It sometimes seems as if the ground is being prepared by a daily dripfeed of xenophobic “news”
Life is short, paddle harder!!

Mi Amigo
Manager
Manager

Post by Mi Amigo » Mon, 21 Oct 2013 9:35 pm

Fair point, but isn't English supposed to be one of the National languages here?
Be careful what you wish for

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 21 Oct 2013 10:51 pm

Only if convenient, if not, Hokkien curses okay. :mrgreen:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

v4jr4
Reporter
Reporter

Post by v4jr4 » Tue, 22 Oct 2013 9:21 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Only if convenient, if not, Hokkien curses okay. :mrgreen:
I learn a lot of "that" for the last 5 years :lol:
"Budget Expat"