Singapore Expats

Holiday in Bintan vs going somewhere else

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
Fortan
Chatter
Chatter

Holiday in Bintan vs going somewhere else

Post by Fortan » Mon, 21 Oct 2013 9:56 am

Just spent 4 days 3 nights in Bintan and for me it will be the last time. I was thinking that it is easy and convenient because it is very close. After taking the trip to Tanah Merah Ferry Terminal, where we were advised to be 1.5 hour before departure, adding in the ferry trip and hassle and the same coming back on a night where it was practically impossible to get a taxi, I am inclined to feel that it would have been easier to take a cheap flight to Thailand or somewhere nicer, cheaper and where there would be way more things to do. There is NOTHING to do in Bintan, besides playing golf and staying in the resort. Next time I'll give it a miss.

v4jr4
Reporter
Reporter

Post by v4jr4 » Mon, 21 Oct 2013 10:21 am

I assume you didn't take a trip to the nearest city. Small, but at least it's better than nothing :P
"Budget Expat"

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Re: Holiday in Bintan vs going somewhere else

Post by zzm9980 » Mon, 21 Oct 2013 10:38 am

Fortan wrote:Just spent 4 days 3 nights in Bintan and for me it will be the last time. I was thinking that it is easy and convenient because it is very close. After taking the trip to Tanah Merah Ferry Terminal, where we were advised to be 1.5 hour before departure, adding in the ferry trip and hassle and the same coming back on a night where it was practically impossible to get a taxi, I am inclined to feel that it would have been easier to take a cheap flight to Thailand or somewhere nicer, cheaper and where there would be way more things to do. There is NOTHING to do in Bintan, besides playing golf and staying in the resort. Next time I'll give it a miss.
Was it a direct ferry, or did you have to transfer in Batam at Nongsapura? Those are even worse :D

I'd suggest if you want a close and "nothing to do" trip, just go to Batam and stay at one of the resorts on the Nongsapura side. Montigo is quite nice, and you have amazing sunset view where you can even see the Singapore skyline. I'd also recommend calling your own taxi at Tanah Merah as soon as you have signal as the boat is docking, as you learned. :) It's probably even better to jsut go through Harborfront and take the ferry to Batam Center. The taxi ride is about $15 SGD/30 minutes each way from Batam Center to Nongsapura. If you pre-book your ticket, arriving 30 minutes before departure is more than enough time.

x9200

Re: Holiday in Bintan vs going somewhere else

Post by x9200 » Mon, 21 Oct 2013 10:47 am

Fortan wrote:There is NOTHING to do in Bintan, besides playing golf and staying in the resort.
Yes, and these are the only reasons to go there. Still people do it including myself and I did not find getting there and back that difficult.

Any other destinations I consider SIGNIFICANTLY better (Tioman/Phi Phi/Redang/Bali/Krabi) just for getting spoiled by doing nothing at the resort's beach are also significantly more trouble/time and money to get and stay there.