Singapore Expats

Mystery product - does anyone know?

Chats, Flames, Jokes, Junks. Don't know where to post ? You've just found the right place.
JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Mystery product - does anyone know?

Post by JR8 » Sun, 20 Oct 2013 4:20 pm

Does anyone know what this fish product is? Spotted in the freezer section of NTUC.

'Ocean fresh delite Cod Steak, 500 grams, Product of: France'.

The skin doesn't look like any kind of cod I've seen before. It has quite prominent/distinctive black and white, almost chequered scales. Whereas the cod I know, has no such scaling, and is a graduated green/silver colour.

I'm reminded of the pervasive 'Dory fish' you see in restaurants here, which suggests it comes from the very high-end and $$$ John Dory fish. Whereas in fact it's from something like farmed VNese catfish or similar. hehehe.

Plus I'm curious why an everyday supermarket is importing fish from France, of all places. If I can tell what it actually is, I'll then know whether it's worth a go, and how to cook it.

Those part steaks are maybe 6" across. It suggests the whole fish must be pretty big.

p.s. A web-search did not help me.
Apologies for the scaling of the pic. The Resize function seems to defeat me more often than not these days...

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 20 Oct 2013 5:10 pm

Looks like Pacific Cod to me. The greenish/silverish skin is indicative of Atlantic Cod. Additionally, there are no scales on packaged frozen fish, they are scaled prior to processing.
Last edited by sundaymorningstaple on Sun, 20 Oct 2013 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sun, 20 Oct 2013 6:09 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Looks like Pacific Cod to me. The greenish/silverish skin is indicative of Atlantic Cod. Additionally, there are no scales on packaged frozen fish, they are scaled prior to processing.
This is the cod that I'm used to back home... http://tinyurl.com/ndo2nhu

Oh I didn’t know frozen fish is scaled, it makes sense though. Buying skin-on frozen fish doesn’t happen (IME) in Europe. The patterning of the NTUC fish is quite ‘diagonal checker-board’ish’, if that makes any sense? Very distinct, in the same way it is on a Squirrelfish ... http://australianmuseum.net.au/Uploads/ ... 0-15_b.jpg , just black and white, obviously

I’d never heard of Pacific Cod, a quick google suggests it’s not as refined in flavour or delicacy as the Atlantic one. One writer compared the meat to having the muddy flavour of farmed tilapia.

Still pretty weird it goes from the Pacific, to France, to Singapore.

So I think I’ll pass. Shame.