Singapore Expats

Employment Pass Application

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
Kapany

Employment Pass Application

Post by Kapany » Sat, 19 Oct 2013 12:57 am

I've attained a mass communications degree from a private institute in Singapore(MDIS) with an affiliation to a US university and graduated in 2012. I had gotten an ad sales job with a publishing company right after graduation but my EP was rejected even though the salary was $3k. After which I went back to India and attainted training experience from one of the largest MNC's in media.

I have now returned to Singapore and an amateur company applied for an Ep for me again with a 2.7K salary by making me believe that they would work it out with the MOM and inevitably the EP was again rejected. Finally now, I have been offered a job from a globally recognized recruitment company with a base salary of 3k.

I was wondering wether my EP would be accepted this time. Do previous rejections matter for the process of an application? Any comments?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 19 Oct 2013 6:50 am

Highly doubtful. Plenth of locals with Mass Comm DP/Degrees with more experience than yourself. Hard to justify hiring a foreigner.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

AngMoG
Reporter
Reporter

Post by AngMoG » Sat, 19 Oct 2013 1:39 pm

Also note that $3K is the bare minimum salary for EP ($2.7K won't do), but it will soon be raised to $3.3K. If you want to have a chance at getting an EP, you would have to earn significantly more than that, say at least around $4K.

I agree with SMS though, Mass Comm/Marketing degrees are common among Singaporeans, so it would be difficult to get an EP even then.

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Sat, 19 Oct 2013 2:47 pm

OP posted using facebook. For those of you who have turned it off, here's the post:

Thank you for the feedback. What about the S pass for the same situation? According to the self assesment test online, I was eligible for an S pass. Any comments?

AngMoG
Reporter
Reporter

Post by AngMoG » Sat, 19 Oct 2013 3:21 pm

Wd40 wrote:OP posted using facebook. For those of you who have turned it off, here's the post:

Thank you for the feedback. What about the S pass for the same situation? According to the self assesment test online, I was eligible for an S pass. Any comments?
Well, he can try. SMS's statement still applies. For S-Pass, there are quotas for companies, so the company would also be below the quota to hire him, in addition to a number of 'fuzzy' criteria.

eastcoastsg

Post by eastcoastsg » Sat, 19 Oct 2013 3:35 pm

If you've already gone through recruitment and have been offered a job, why not let the process take its course. You're already trying, so finish off what you've started. And learn from the outcome, whatever it may be.

Kapany

Post by Kapany » Mon, 21 Oct 2013 1:33 pm

Yes I agree with what you're saying. My concern was whether I should apply for an EP or an S pass? I dont want to make a mistake and land up with another rejection if I apply for the wrong one.

AngMoG
Reporter
Reporter

Post by AngMoG » Mon, 21 Oct 2013 1:49 pm

As said above, at $3K it would be best to go for S-Pass, as EP would be unlikely to be granted.

Though there is always the possibility of applying for EP with the checkbox "apply for S-Pass if EP not granted" checked.

Mi Amigo
Manager
Manager

Post by Mi Amigo » Mon, 21 Oct 2013 9:45 pm

Kapany wrote:Thank you for the feedback. What about the S pass for the same situation? According to the self assesment test online, I was eligible for an S pass. Any comments?
Keep in mind that what this really means is that you are eligible to apply. It doesn't mean that you are entitled to an S Pass. All applications are considered on their own merit and against a set of criteria that are internal to the MOM. The fact that the EP application was rejected is most likely for the reasons already given above; an S Pass application may have the same outcome. You might want to find out whether your potential employer ticked the 'S Pass' box (mentioned by AngMoG above) in your EP application last time round.
Be careful what you wish for

FaeLLe
Chatter
Chatter

Post by FaeLLe » Tue, 05 Nov 2013 2:02 pm

You can apply for EP and be considered for an S-Pass, that way MOM will issue an S-Pass if you qualify.

Just make sure the HR / Immigration department of the company ticks the relevant forms on the application form or EP Online.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 05 Nov 2013 2:24 pm

Sadly, however, if your potential employer did NOT tick the S pass box in the initial application, the choice cannot be changed or a new application for an S pass filed, if your application was rejected for an EP. (By that employer)
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers